Sella Nevea: powder paradise of the week!

Sella Nevea: powder paradise of the week!

Sella Nevea is the powder paradise of the week. And no, it’s not part of the resorts that can be found on wePowder. It’s one of the many resorts in the Alps that I still keep as a secret, but it’s time to share it with all of you. Especially since TGR shot some amazing footage in Sella Nevea!

So much snow

Sella Nevea will get plenty of snow thanks to an Adria-low that settled above the Adriatic Sea. From Sella Nevea it’s only around 100 kilometers as the crow flies to the beaches of the Adriatic Sea and the resorts deals due to the eastern location with a continental climate that provides the necessary cold air. This special micro climate where moisture and cold air collide results in spectacular snow statistics. You can often find plenty of snow in Sella Nevea, even when other resorts in the Alps don’t have that much snow.

Great terrain

But there is something special about the snow in Sella Nevea. The proximity to the ocean and the abundant snowfall guarantees that the snow even sticks to the steep faces behind the highest cable car. And the terrain is pretty special as well. A combination of steep faces, beautiful tree runs, pillows and more easy terrain can’t be compared with any other resort in the eastern Alps.

Getting there

It’s quite a long drive to Sella Nevea, but remember it’s all relative. Just leave an hour (or a couple of hours earlier) and you’ll be rewarded with great now and great terrain.

Sella Nevea will get another 50 cm of freshies the next couple of days. It will snow heavily till Wednesday. The sun will come out on Thursday.

And yes, the do avalanche control (check out the nice terrain)!

meteomorris

Replies

Tourist
AnonymousAuthor16 February 2016 · 12:16

Hello! I am from Slovenia and i know the terrain in Sella Nevea pretty well and i am not sure if there is enough base because this area needs a lot of it to be OK. Are you sure it will be OK?

Tourist
AnonymousAuthor16 February 2016 · 18:02

Nice place! I love those small resorts with no powder stress.
Keep on posting more of them!

Advanced
AdamSteklAuthor17 February 2016 · 08:01

Wow, looks amazing. Thanks for sharing! Julian Alps are quite special, have been there three times in summer but never in winter, must correct this mistake.

Adam
Tourist
AnonymousAuthor17 February 2016 · 08:20

There will be aN unusual film festival there Feb 23-27, Sella Nevea Mountain Experience - Film Festival. Teams of three film and edit a 2 minute piece on location. Great prizes!

Advanced
ArjenproadminAuthor17 February 2016 · 14:12

Yesterday
http://cdn.wepowder.nl/forum/1/16966.jpg?width=800

Early this morning
http://cdn.wepowder.nl/forum/1/16965.jpg?width=800

Around 45 cm of freshies already came down and there’s more to come. Expect around 30-50 cm of snow, which will be even more in the alpine. Thursday will be a sunny day, but the avalanche danger (http://meteo.arso.gov.si/met/sl/weather/bulletin/mountain/avalanche/) is going up, so ride with care.

45 cm at 1800 meters altitude
http://cdn.wepowder.nl/forum/1/16967.jpg?width=800

One day, they'll invent synthetic powder, ban all kinds of work and give you a free liftpass...
Advanced
semcaAuthor17 February 2016 · 19:22

I´ve been there twice and it´s a really great resort with awesome terrain, but the little problem is, that because of avalanche safety they quite often don´t open the upper gondola after heavy snowfall and this limit the possibilities a lot.

Expert
checcoAuthor2 March 2016 · 00:51

semca you should go in Tarvisio , about 20 minutes from Sella Nevea. It’s a bit more lower but u can find great and various backcountry rides and also a bit of big mountain. You have to try in the next days , it’ll have another powder alert for the weekend. Check out!

Advanced
semcaAuthor12 March 2016 · 21:06

Thanks for a tip checco, last weekend we were in Nassfeld and it was pretty good, but we will certainly check out Tarvisio with the next storm in the area.

Advanced
ArjenproadminAuthor31 January 2018 · 15:37

It will be on in the Sella Nevea again!

One day, they'll invent synthetic powder, ban all kinds of work and give you a free liftpass...
Never miss a PowderAlert!

Get updates on the latest news, PowderAlerts and more!