Let's go freeriding together (in January and February)

• Karlis
    Beginner
    Karlis op 29 December 2016 · 11:36
    Hi! I will be spending the winter in the Alps and I have a proposal to freeriders who are looking for a chance to join other freeriders for a powder search.

Throughout January and February I will be organizing "4 x Powder Hunt trips" within the Alps. The idea is simple - we meet, get in a van and drive around Alps. I can pick you up from airports of Milan (or Turin, or Verona).

The group would consist of 4-8 persons max. We drive around in MB Viano 4x4 van - I organize accommodation everywhere we stay. We discuss about our wishes and budget and we split the costs. The trip would normally be 10 days long - 8 days on the mountains.

About me: I'm a freestyle skier since 2002 (skiing since 1995). I spend winters in the Alps for the past 8 years. I have some knowledge of offpiste terrain of many resorts in the Alps - many secret spots too. I work in tourism, which gives me a good access to last minute accommodation options and skipass deals.

The dates when you should fly in:
    9-10.01; 23- 24.01; 6-7.02; 20-21.02

Any comments?

Sending it :)
  • Volcom
    Beginner
    Volcom op 1 January 2017 · 23:27
    Do you envisage a different resort each few days or just drive to the best spot that week?

Doesn't chasing the snow mean potentially very long drives - for example this week you would need to drive to northern alps/Germany.

Sounds interested but it would be good to understand more how this might work in your view - sounds like you have the right experience, please explain in more detail.
  • Karlis
    Beginner
    Karlis op 2 January 2017 · 08:57
    We may change the resorts - ideally we would stick around a region which has received or will receive snow. In current conditions the drive would be a bit longer (~6.5h), but once we get there we would have 8 pow days there. Only in very bad circumstances we would need to change the region. Normally I would hope for a 4-5h drive max to get to a right region - then we explore the areas and adapt to the conditions.
    Since I have 4x4 car I could also organize freeride routes which lead down into valleys as I would be able to drive there and pick up people.
  • Karlis
    Beginner
    Karlis op 9 January 2017 · 16:09
    Now is good time to start preparing for a freeride trip (powder hunt). I already have 4 persons signed up for 7/02 - 16/02. So only 4 more can join for those dates. It's also possible to join the powder hunt trips on 24/01 - 2/02 and 21/02 - 2/03.
  • FredKorua
    FredKorua op 9 January 2017 · 16:58
    Sounds Good!
    I'm landing in Geneva on the 22nd of February till the 27th, is that on your route?
  • Karlis
    Beginner
    Karlis op 9 January 2017 · 18:16
    I'm not sure Geneva will be on our route - though is quit easy to come closer to us via train or bus. Although I'm not sure you would benefit much from our plan as you would have not much time to spend with us and a lot of travelling for you. Think about it. If you really want to enjoy it, I would recommend flying to Milan and doing full 9-10 days with us.
  • yuguyugu
    yuguyugu op 11 January 2017 · 10:44
    I live in the north, near Stuttgart, so I could meet up with you somewhere in the mountains depending on the routes you are planning.
  • Karlis
    Beginner
    Karlis op 11 January 2017 · 20:34
    Another thing I would like to add - it's not necessary to have skins, splitboard or climbing gear. One of my main goals is to have great pow runs with as little effort as possible. If it's not always possible - then of course we will have to skin or walk (no rock climbing). I really prefer to save the energy for aggressive downhill runs, drops, jumps.
  • Karlis
    Beginner
    Karlis op 28 January 2017 · 09:48
    We are going for a powder hunt on 7/02. We are already 4 guys - we have 3 free spots on. If you would like to join us on the mountain, then write us. It's too early yet to tell where will we go - i suspect it could be Piemonte.
    Next trip on 21/02. Don't miss it!!!

You need to be logged in to post a comment in this topic. Login or create an account.

Upgrade to wepowder Pro

• Extended 14 day forecast
  • Slope angle and exposition terrain layers
  • Inspirational freeride routes
wePowder Pro