Where to ski in the US in Feb?

• oscartörnebrant
    oscartörnebrant op 5 January 2017 · 21:10
    I am heading to San Jose for a job conference on Feb 7-11 and I plan to take 3 days off before the event to go skiing somewhere in Western US. I have been considering to check out some resorts in the Lake Tahoe Area (Kirkwood etc) or the resorts around Salt Lake City like Snowbird, Brighton, Solitude etc.

I appreciate any advise from you guys who have been there. Which of these areas generally offers better snow conditions? Which is more crowded? Freeride options? Etc... I know it's dumping massively in the Cali mountains right now but that could change a lot in 1 month of course.

Seems like a pretty sweet setup to be staying in Salt Lake City and have 4 good resorts within 1 hour drive.

Let me know your thoughts!

Oscar
  • Chester_Tartsnatcher
    Expert
    Chester_Tartsnatcher op 7 January 2017 · 15:29
    For Utah, see http://wepowder.com/forum/topic/212224 .
    Alta/Snowbird is the best, but also the most crowded generally. Personally, now I go up to Snow Basin more now since it's less expensive and less crowded even though they don't get as much snow as Alta.

Tahoe areas are great too though and skiing Squaw Valley and Alpine Meadows (North Lake Tahoe) could keep you happy for 4 days. They will have a big base by then given the snow coming in now. Kirkwood has a lot of steeps, but it's further south by Heavenly Valley.

Anther option that is overlooked is Seattle areas. Weekends can be crowded and if it's storming sometimes the Snoqualmie and Stevens Passes can be a tough drive, but there's a surprising amount of really good skiing between Alpental (Snoqualmie) 1 hour from Seattle, Stevens Pass 1.5 hours from Seattle) and Crystal (2 hours from Seattle).

You need to be logged in to post a comment in this topic. Login or create an account.

Upgrade to wepowder Pro

• Extended 14 day forecast
  • Slope angle and exposition terrain layers
  • Inspirational freeride routes
wePowder Pro