PA#17: It's not over yet! Winter is still here!

PA#17: It's not over yet! Winter is still here!

A storm called Reiner will bring winter back to the Alps again. It won’t be as cold as last week, but you can expect huge amounts of snow coming down again. Most of the snow will fall between Tuesday and Thursday and there are still resorts open to enjoy some fresh snow on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. PowderAlert #17 is ON! In this forecast:

• PowderAlert#16 was good
  • Winter is back in the Alps for a week
  • The most snow will fall around the Ortler and the Austrian glaciers
  • PowderAdvice for the next couple of days

PowderAlert#16 was good

If you haven’t been in the Alps last week, check out the images below and see what you’ve missed. If you want to see more images, check out this page.

Lots of fresh snow
Lots of fresh snow
Faceshots
Faceshots
The sun was strong
The sun was strong

It’s the end of April and that means you have to be there when the snow comes down. The sun is really strong and also influences the steeper north faces fast. The expression ‘you snooze, you lose’ is definitely in effect. Not in terms of competition (there aren’t that many people out riding), but definitely in terms of changing conditions.

New storm
New storm

Winter is back in the Alps for a week

A new storm is ready to kick in and arrives in the Alps on Tuesday. It will take a while before the cold polar air finds its way to the Alps. The snow line is still pretty high on Tuesday, but it will drop on Wednesday when the cold polar air from the north reaches the Alps. You can expect the snow line at 1000 meters north of the main alpine ridge and at 1500 meters south of the main alpine ridge. The temperatures will drop again on Thursday, with the snow line locally ending up at 500 meters! It will stay cold until Saturday and the sun will come out on Friday afternoon. It looks like the party will be over on Sunday when the current from the south becomes to strong, but that’s stilll far away.

The most snow will fall around the Ortler and the Austrian glaciers

Most of the precipitation will come down as rain, because of the battle between cold air from the north and the warm air. The temperature is still too high in the valleys, but dry snow will come down above 2300 meters (and later above 1800 meters). You can expect the most snow around the Piz Buin, the Ortler and the high alpine in Austria. When the temperature will drop on Wednesday it’s time for PowderAlert #17.

PowderAdvice for the next couple of days

There are still resorts open, so you can get your faceshots on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Check out this article for a complete list. The PowderAdvice from Thursday: Corvatsch, Diavolezza, Sulden am Ortler, Engelberg, Ischgl, Sölden, Hochgurgl, Pitztaler, Stubaier and Kaunertaler glaciers, Kaprun and Sportgastein.

Enjoy the snow the next couple of days!

Stay stoked. Morris

meteomorris

Replies

Tourist
caluchkoAuthor25 April 2017 · 14:31

What do you think about Grands Montets on Friday? Yes I know it’s not in the snow bulls-eye, but is it still worth a go? Has anyone been there recently?

Tourist
AnonymousAuthor27 April 2017 · 16:03

Hi @meteomorris!!

I am planning a ski tour with a couple of friends on sunday in the zone of Briançon/Queyras. I was there last weekend and it seemed that there was still quite a good snow cover in north faces. The weather on sunday looks uncertain though…so maybe going up too high is not the best option.
Could you please recomend me any rando with as much snow cover and trees (visibilitty matters) as possible?
We could do it twice if the heigt loss is only 600m or so…

I love your website. Keep doing such an amazing job!! :)
Thank you for your help

Rafa

Never miss a PowderAlert!

Get updates on the latest news, PowderAlerts and more!