Dry and sunny in the Alps. Any snow in the forecast?

Dry and sunny in the Alps. Any snow in the forecast?

A very powerful high-pressure area dominates the weather in the Alps this week. That means that any significant storm activity will be kept at a distance. It’s already sunny in the west of the Alps, but it’s still clouded in the east. The sun will gain some strength the next couple of days, because the high pressure area is getting stronger. The air will drop and the clouds will disappear. The nights in the mountains are therefore cold, while the days are mild and sunny. It’s typical Indian Summer weather. According to the latest calculations, this will last until the middle of next week. There’s room for storm impressions after that. It’s a quiet week. The conditions are great on the glaciers right now, but I rather go surfing next week.

Some tips for the next couple of days

1. The SLF recently published a nice report of the weather in September. Four dumps, lots of snow and low temperatures were recorded in the Swiss Alps. Such a cold September is no indication for the winter to come, but it’s worth mentioning. It was also cold in Austria in September, which hasn’t been that cold the last 10 years.
  2. NOAA announced a new version of La Niña. This could result in a winter with lots of snow and low temperatures in Canada.
  3. The tour schedule for the Freeride World Tour has been announced. There’s no contest in Chamonix anymore, but you can expect great skiing and snowboarding in Japan and Canada.
  4. How to make the most of the winter? Check out my article about my winter. It’s my story about how I balance between risks and great snow after 30 years of riding powder in the Alps.

And pssst, the wePowder shop is back online!

meteomorris
Never miss a PowderAlert!

Get updates on the latest news, PowderAlerts and more!