The new wepowder is live!

The new wepowder is live!

It’s here. Winter can really make its entrance now. The new version of wepowder is live. We’ve been working on it for quite a long time with our team and we’re convinced that we can provide you more (and better) deep days. These are the most important changes:

1) So much more weather data

We’ll be focusing more and more on weather. And more specifically: the weather in the Alps. That is why we have expanded our database to over 800 ski areas and more than 1400 villages in the Alps. You can check out the snowfall, but also the temperature (at 2 meters above the ground and 850 hPa), precipitation and clouds.

2) Terrain data

Next to a lot of data about the weather, you can also find a lot of information about the terrain on the site. You can get a quick impression of the altitude, slope angle and slope exposition for almost every ski area in the Alps. Check out the ski area pages of Livigno Mottolino or Les Grands Montets for example.

3) wepowder Pro

wepowder Pro gives you access to all of the above data up to 14 days in. This will be a paid service (one year for less than half the price of a lift pass for a day), simply because we use Google’s supercomputers every night to generate all the weather maps for you. Of course, wepowder remains available to everybody with the 6-day forecast, but if you want to support us, that will be appreciated. To give you a good impression of the possibilities of wepowder Pro, everybody will get access to wepowder Pro for a week for free! Just log in with your account.

Bugs and more

We’ll keep working on updates and bug fixes the next couple of weeks. If you have bugs that you want to report, comments or other requests, please tell us in the comments.

Let’s enjoy winter!

Arjen
was born with maps of ski areas in the cradle and has visited almost all of them. His great passion is freeriding.

Replies

Elite
kanskiAuthor18 October 2017 · 08:23

Looking good guys!

Never ski faster than your guardian Angel can fly!
Tourist
AnonymousAuthor18 October 2017 · 11:26

awesome work!

Tourist
claudiocavernaAuthor19 October 2017 · 10:31

thanks guys… your work is the best !!

Advanced
ArjenproadminAuthor19 October 2017 · 13:51

Thanks guys! If you have any comments, please let me know!

One day, they'll invent synthetic powder, ban all kinds of work and give you a free liftpass...
Tourist
AnonymousAuthor19 October 2017 · 18:04

Hi, what happened to North America ?

I really, really, really liked when I could use … http://wepowder.com/playgrounds/region/27

Now there’s nothing.

The old site was sooooo good. You nailed when and where it was going to snow, even if the amounts were a little off.

It was so much better than snow-forecast, but now I have to go back to relying on them ?

Expert
meteomorrisAuthor19 October 2017 · 21:50

@@awatchman, we updated our weather model for the website. Due to the fine grid we are using for the time being it was impossible to continue north america on the website (in terms of costs and timing). But we still have the weather maps for North America in the (Salomon) PowderQuest app for iPhone and Android. We hope to update our charts for North America in the (near) future as well. It all depends on the amount of pro members we will get for the Alps and if the pricing level for servers will drop in the near future.

powfinder.com
Tourist
AnonymousAuthor20 October 2017 · 14:38

=(
I’d happily pay/subscribe to access the old version of the site/model for North America.

Beginner
KarlisAuthor20 October 2017 · 14:55

Great news! This is the website I visit every day during winter - nice to see updates!
I see now there are all of those small resorts also included in the map - though I couldn’t find some places like Stubai? Also would be nice if it would be possible to open a resort on the map in a separate tab (right click open in a tab).

Sending it :)
Advanced
ArjenproadminAuthor20 October 2017 · 17:26

@@Karlis When you type in ‘Stubai’ in the upper left corner of the main navigation (where it says: ‘choose resort’), you’ll see both Stubaital and the Stubaier Glacier pop up.

One day, they'll invent synthetic powder, ban all kinds of work and give you a free liftpass...
Expert
meteomorrisAuthor20 October 2017 · 18:14

=(
I’d happily pay/subscribe to access the old version of the site/model for North America.

awatchman op 20 Oct 2017 14:38

@@awatchman, your wish is on our wishlist.

powfinder.com
Advanced
arslongaAuthor22 October 2017 · 01:58

hiMorris
great work for the Alps
do you think you’re gonna make the same work for Apennines?
thanks

non rompete il c**** al cavaliere nero....
Expert
meteomorrisAuthor23 October 2017 · 09:35

@@arslonga, thanks!
Yes, our fine resolution weather maps do also cover a large part of the Apennines:\

powfinder.com
Beginner
mistergregAuthor23 October 2017 · 15:06

Loving this new site, great work guys! My only comment would be that it’d would be nice to add back in the playgrounds section that used to show the ‘Powder magnets’ and other groups of resorts.

Other than that, I only see a 6day forecast in the Pro trial, but then maybe i’m not looking in the right place.

Expert
meteomorrisAuthor23 October 2017 · 15:48

@@gregowen, thanks. Don’t you see the 14 day forecast on wepowder.com/en/forecast?
And when you go to this page for example (http://wepowder.com/en/adelboden)… do you see a 14 day forecast?

Scroll down and you will see the following:
https://cdn.wepowder.com/site/forum/13/255e5df4003b96bde52264c68710a825_schermafbeelding_202017_10_23_20om_2015_47_37.png?width=800

powfinder.com
Tourist
AndyBAuthor23 October 2017 · 22:00

The new features are good, but I’m having some strange effects using Safari 11 on OS X 10.12.
Has the new site been fully tested for my browser?
Andy

Beginner
mistergregAuthor24 October 2017 · 00:07

@@meteomorris, Ah yes! I can see that now. I can’t have been paying attention before. Thanks, this is fantastic!

Beginner
obiklasAuthor30 October 2017 · 10:55

=( \

awatchman op 20 Oct 2017 14:38

@@awatchman, your wish is on our wishlist.

meteomorris op 20 Oct 2017 18:14

@@meteomorris, I have the same request regarding Scandinavia. The old snow maps were spot on.

Expert
meteomorrisAuthor30 October 2017 · 15:34

@@AndyB could you send us some screenshots? (info@wepowder.com)

@@obiklas, the same applies for Scandinavia. Due to the fine grid we are using for the time being it was impossible to continue Scandinavia for the moment on the website (in terms of costs and timing). But we still have the weather maps for Scandinavia in the (Salomon) PowderQuest app for iPhone and Android. We hope to update our charts for Scandinavia in the (near) future as well. It all depends on the amount of pro members we will get for the Alps and if the pricing level for servers will drop in the near future.

powfinder.com
Advanced
arslongaAuthor30 October 2017 · 21:52

I subscribed the pro version but l can see only 6 days and other are banned with a banner that says " upgrade to we powder Pro"! but already done…

Advanced
ArjenproadminAuthor31 October 2017 · 08:37

@@arslonga Can you log out and log in again? That should work. Still working on this hick-up.

Advanced
arslongaAuthor31 October 2017 · 22:31

done several times. no way…

Advanced
Chester_TartsnatcherAuthor5 November 2017 · 22:22

arslonga, did you try to clean all cookies from your browser and relogin? Maybe there’s some dependent data in another cookie that is causing this failure?

EuroBBI2024 Rueras, CH March 1-9, 2024
Beginner
mhilbertsAuthor8 November 2017 · 06:07

Great new site. Weather forecast is incredibly well built, way above everybody else. Kudos… but the whole forecast for the “Americas” has dropped of the radar? Its still there in the App but the US/CAN areas are no longer an option on the site. Any plans to include them at some point?

Advanced
PowellAuthor8 November 2017 · 11:29

In the new site there’s no more the possibility to have the “last 6 days” snow coverage? Am I right?

Expert
meteomorrisAuthor9 November 2017 · 13:43

@@mhilberts thanks. US/CAN is available on the Powderquest app. The grid we are using for the Alps, combined with the time it takes to calculate the maps makes it really expensive. So far we don’t have the cash to develop the same maps for US/CAN.

@@Powell: thats correct. we currently only use the last 3 days because we thought it makes more sense once you go chasing powder.
Nowadays everything near the pistes is tracked out within 3 days.

powfinder.com
Tourist
JaapvRAuthor9 November 2017 · 15:35

Is there some new international-redirect feature?
Whenever I go to wepowder.nl from Norway i get redirected to the .com… Haven’t checked it in other countries (yet), but could get interesting when the polderpeople go out powderchasing and find themselves all on their own without a Dutch forum? :-).

Expert
meteomorrisAuthor9 November 2017 · 16:51

@@JaapvR, yes, wepowder.com is now the main entrance. Based on your geolocation we serve you either in English, French, German or Dutch.
On your desktop you can easy switch to another language. In the upright corner of your screen you can switch between languages. Content and forumtopics may differ may you switch to another language.

https://cdn.wepowder.com/site/forum/13/e101c531f3eafdb23a02cddac194ff5a_schermafbeelding_202017_11_09_20om_2016_46_34.png?width=800

powfinder.com
Tourist
JaapvRAuthor10 November 2017 · 18:58

@@meteomorris: takk, det går bra dette! Æ deltids-flytter tilbake til NL fra desember uansett, så da kommer jeg til å lande på riktig side automatisk… Er det en version på plat-Schevenings på wishlisten alrede??

Expert
meteomorrisAuthor11 November 2017 · 21:43

@@JaapvR, LOL. Give me a call when you’re in NL!

powfinder.com
Never miss a PowderAlert!

Get updates on the latest news, PowderAlerts and more!