Powderalert#11

Powderalert#11
May the powder be with you in 2013!
May the powder be with you in 2013!

Short term, PA#11 Northern French Alps

2013 has a good start in the stau of the Ecrins and the Northern French Alps. I do expect 10-20 cm south of the Ecrins and 20-40 cm in the Savoie and Haute Savoie until Wednesday morning. The deepest powder can be found at the Bauges, Aravis and Chablais. More east I expect 10-20 cm of freshies in the Swiss Alpennordhang, the Kleinwalsertal and Voralberg. Since there is no wind, this snow will be light and fluffy.

Powderalert for Wednesday morning for:

• Bauges

• Baurfortain

• Aravis

• Chablais

Powder to start 2013 with. I love powderalert#11! The announced Genua low is pushed eastwards faster than expected. Therefor there is no powderalert for the Southern Alps, although the southern Piemonte might see some freshies. More snow is expected in Austria from Thursday till Saturday. I mentioned the Nordstau earlier last week and although it vanished form the weathercharts it is back on the maps. But…

Hoog Xerxes gaat zeker een week de Alpen domineren
Hoog Xerxes gaat zeker een week de Alpen domineren

Nordstau… where to go?

That will be the main question the coming days. A powderfull high pressure area named Xerxes will take position above the Alps. On the eastern ridge moisture and warer air is flowing towards Austria. Biggest concerns? What will be the exact position of this high pressure area? What will be the exact snowlevels? And how much moisture will be pushed against the northern side of the Austrian Alps? Questions that I will answer on Wednesday evening sinvce the weathercharts aren’t accurate enough. For now my advice will be. Wait untill Saturday/Sunday and make sure that your destination will be the higher resorts of Salzburgerland and the Dachstein. Especially north faces above 1800 meters will be in shape with an additional 50 cm of powder. At that time it’s already dry and warm in the western and southern Alps.

Long term

Due to an upcoming high pressure area it will get dry after Saturday. This means sunny days and cold nights. The snow has some time to settle and gives you the opportunity to use your skins and score some powder.

Poederadvice

Powderalert for Wednesday morning for:

• Bauges

• Baurfortain

• Aravis

• Chablais

Stay stoked

Morris

meteomorris
Never miss a PowderAlert!

Get updates on the latest news, PowderAlerts and more!