Fresh snow in the Piemonte

Fresh snow in the Piemonte
The pearl in the south
The pearl in the south

It’s quite exciting to see the path of the small but strong storm in the Golf of Genua. Where will it bring snow?

Current

I’m waiting at Amsterdam Airport at the moment for a flight to Calgary, AB. The plan is to ride powder for seven days. Two days out of Revelstoke and five days of the CMH Gothic Lodge. While I’m waiting here there’s plenty of time for a quick update!

The conditions are fantastic at the moment in the southern Alps. The French southern Alps received blower pow and the rest of the southern Alps also got their share. St. Moritz got around 30-50 centimeters the last couple of days. And because it’s less crowded in the southern resorts there’s still plenty of powder to be found.

Short term

An active Genua-low is passing today, so it’s time for a retour d’est. This low (named Hansgeorg) passes south of the Alps and brings a lot of powder to the Italian Piemonte. It’s snowing heavily already in the most southern resorts, such as Limone Piemonte. Limone Piemonte with freshies

This is only a short storm, but I expect around 10-50 centimeter in the Piemonte today. Around 10 centimeter in the north and 50 centimeter in the south of the Piemonte. The sun is coming out again on Thursday and it will be sunny in the west.

And after that?

Hansgeorg will drop some snow in the eastern parts of the Alps. Steiermark, the Salzburgerland and the Alpe di Giulie can expect some centimeters. Saturday and Sunday will be sunny, but a new front is coming in from the west again.

I expect some snow on Monday and Tuesday in the west and northwest of the Alps and shortly after that, warmer air is coming in. And because there will be a high pressure area above the Alps around the same time this might be the first high pressure blockade of this winter. This means inversion weather, which means sunshine on the peaks and colder air in the valleys. Touring is an option. We’ll have to wait till February for significant precipitation.

Powder advice

There’s still a lot of powder to be found in the southern Alps and the southern Piemonte will receive even more freshies. You’ll find the best pow in the southern Alps till Sunday. If you want real freshies, go to Limone Piemonte.

Stay stoked

Morris

meteomorris
Never miss a PowderAlert!

Get updates on the latest news, PowderAlerts and more!