PowderAlert #6 is for France!

PowderAlert #6 is for France!

Snow at the end of the week

The first time I talked about PowderAlert #6 is was the 10th of December. Almost ten days before the snowfall the first signs were visible on the map that the high pressure area will loose its grip on the Alps. In the meantime, snow came down in the Balkan countries, Greece, Israel and even in the Egyptian capital Cairo, but we had to deal with the Alps that we’re as dry as can be. It was time that it really payed of to hire a good ski-, snowboard- or mountain guide. A lot of wePowder members found powder in St. Anton am Alrberg. And they even got a minidump of around 15-20 centimeters on Saturday night. That’s what I call powder karma!

But the snow that will come at the end of the will not come as a surprise. It’s been written all over the maps for days now.

The Alps in a western curent

1. A low pressure area northwest of England

The high pressure area that’s dominating the Alps is about to break. A front will reach the western Alps on Thursday. The Alps will experience colder air and it will snow for 24-36 hours. At first in the northwest of the Alps (north of the line Grenoble – Engelberg). The most snow will come down between Thursday morning and Friday afternoon. I expect around 25-50 centimeters of freshies.The big L in the Gulf of Genua

2. A temporary Genua low

According to the latest calculations of the UKMO and the GFS a Genua low will form just after the front has passed. The ECMWF is less positive about this development, but there’s a lot of perspective on 24 hours of intense snowfall in the French southern Alps, parts of the Italian Piemonte and Lombardia and west of the Dolomites. Friday could be the day! But a minor change in the position of the front can have major consequences. More about that the next couple of days. I expect around 25-50 centimeters here as well, but the exaxt location may change the next 36 hours.

Their might be a chance that this scenario will repeat itself from Sunday evening, but the models aren’t really clear on this yet. The long term is not clear at all. According to the GFS models, we can only expect colder temperatures and snow after Christmas. ECMWF however is more positive and is expecting this situation from the 24th.

The next couple of days you can expect:

• More details on PowderAlert #6 are on their way

• More news about the long term (from Sunday)

• Will Christmas be white?

Conclusion

Snow for the French Alps, the west of Switzerland and the southern Alps starting on Thursday, but the Glaner Alps, Vorarlberg and the Arlberg will get some snow. More details tomorrow!

Stay stoked

Morris

meteomorris

Replies

Tourist
AnonymousAuthor16 December 2013 · 11:01

My money is on a white Christmas.

Tourist
AnonymousAuthor17 December 2013 · 10:48

@@meteomorris Maybe the southern Piedmont will be the place to be, or have i spoken to soon.

Expert
meteomorrisAuthor17 December 2013 · 11:04

@@Powdernick You are right. Update will be ready in a hour.

powfinder.com
Never miss a PowderAlert!

Get updates on the latest news, PowderAlerts and more!