Get ready for a northern Stau!

Get ready for a northern Stau!

The temperatures are dropping again, there’s still a lot of snow in the forecast and the first northern Stau of 2016 is coming up! There’s quite a good base above 1500 meters in the northwest of the Alps and with the snow that will come down the next couple of days it will be pretty good! In this forecast:

• Let’s forget about this weekend
  • Low temperatures and lots of snow
  • Snow for the west and the south on Monday
  • Northern Stau from Tuesday

Let’s forget about this weekend

It was mild, the snow was wet and after a magical Thursday we had to deal with bad conditions this weekend. But some grey weather is nothing compared to the sadness that family and friends of two Italian tour skiers must feel. These two skiers were killed in an avalanche in Valais yesterday. The avalanche situation is quite critical in large parts of the Alps. A poor base combined with all the snow that came down last week resulted in a high avalanche danger in large parts of the Alps. Actually, we are lucky that the snowpack is pretty wet right now to just above the tree line. With a little luck, this creates a good base for the tree runs in the French Alps and Switzerland. You can find something of a base in the west and north of the Piemonte and Aosta as well and that offers perspective.

Low temperatures and lots of snow

The jet stream will move more to the south the next couple of days and the temperatures will drop in the Alps. It will snow deep into the valleys. Monday and Tuesday will be beautiful days in the western and southern Alps. You’ll find great powder in the trees. You can get ready to make some powder turns in the northern Alps on Wednesday and Thursday. PowderAlert #5 is ON for the west from Monday, for the west and south from Tuesday and for the northwest and north on Wednesday. Snow for the entire Alps. How awesome is that?!

Jet stream moving to the south
Jet stream moving to the south

Snow for the west and the south on Monday

It will start snowing again in the northwest of the Alps on Sunday, but it will snow even harder in the night from Sunday to Monday. The jet stream is still southwest, which will result in lots of snow for the west and south. It will be pretty deep in the French Alps and the west of Switzerland by Monday afternoon. And there’s even more snow on its way!

So much snow in the forecast!
So much snow in the forecast!

Check out the snowfall in your resort on the forecast page. If you want to know more details about the snowfall in a resort, check out the destination pages. For example the ones from Chamonix, Verbier and St. Anton am Arlberg. Check out all the details (the different peaks and resorts in the area) below the snow map.

Northern Stau from Tuesday

The jet stream will turn to the northwest on Tuesday and we can get ready for something a lot of people have been waiting for: NORTHERN STAU! Northern Switzerland, Vorarlberg and the glacier resorts in Austria are already benefiting from the front on Sunday and Monday, but the rest of the northern Alps will also get plenty snow from Tuesday. You can expect two days of northern Stau and this means that it will be on like Donkey Kong in resorts in the Vorarlberg and the Kleinwalsertal from Wednesday!

The temperature will rise on Thursday, but fortunately it will be dry. But don’t worry, the snowfall will hit the Alps on Friday again!

In short: Wax up, PowderAlert #5 is on its way! This is the powderchase:

And for those who really want an adventure. We also have a list of secrets. But beware …not all of these resorts already have a good base. But with secrets, it’s just like turns. You have to earn them. So happy hunting! Choose resorts with trees between 1400 and 2100 meters and a decent base and you’ll have some great days. And if you’d ask me, I would avoid the steep slopes and big faces above the 2200 meter. Leave those slopes to the the avalanche dummies.

Stay stoked, Morris

meteomorris

Replies

Tourist
AnonymousAuthor10 January 2016 · 16:02

Hi Morris,
I just wanted to ask you if you think that the base layer in Monterosa will be good enough at the end of this week. I guess that northern stau is not the best scenario but I see lots of snow in some resorts close like Courmayeur or Valgrisenche, but I also have the feeling that everyone will be on those spots also… Tell me your thoughts.
Thanks!

Expert
meteomorrisAuthor10 January 2016 · 18:11

@@jazzman, yes tonight/tomorrow we will see abundant snowfall in Monte Rosa!

powfinder.com
Expert
DudeAuthor10 January 2016 · 21:02

Hi @@Meteomorris,

when will that northern stau kick in? I’m a bit diffused, because on the snow maps theres almost no snow on tuesday and wednesday for the northern alps. It looks like Friday is the day. That would that mean that theres still more to come for the northern Alps on Saturday, does it?
Thanks for that awesome news of that northern stau

The Dude abides.
Advanced
LiBTech1978proAuthor11 January 2016 · 08:45

Any ideas will powder comes to Italy’s alps? In Madonna di Campiglio?

Expert
meteomorrisAuthor11 January 2016 · 09:44

@@Dude, a ‘light’ version will add snow on Tuesday/Wednesday. A stronger version is expected to arrive on Thursday afternoon and continue into the weekend.

@@aistis, it’s snowing at the moment and it has been snowing since Sunday afternoon but the snowlevel was pretty high at the start of the snowfalls. A detailed forecast can be found here: http://wepowder.com/playgrounds/madonna-di-campiglio

powfinder.com
Advanced
LiBTech1978proAuthor11 January 2016 · 15:56

Thanks Morris, I go to Madonna on 21 th of january hope to see some powder

Advanced
LiBTech1978proAuthor11 January 2016 · 15:56

Advanced
LiBTech1978proAuthor11 January 2016 · 15:57

Never miss a PowderAlert!

Get updates on the latest news, PowderAlerts and more!