Another storm coming up!

Another storm coming up!

I promised you a northern Stau and here it is! This weekend is the best weekend so far in the French Alps and the northern Alps. Yes, even Austria is back since Friday! They got around 30-70 centimeters of fresh snow in the northern Stau resorts (like the Kleinwalsertal) and it’s still snowing today. The sun will come out on Monday, but a new storm from the west will hit the Alps. Warm air will attempt to reach the Alps later this week. But will this actually happen? In this forecast:

• Great conditions in the western and northern Alps
  • A new storm coming in on Tuesday/Wednesday
  • Warm air will attempt to reach the Alps
  • Powder advice: first west and northwest, later north
  • Test your knowledge about avalanches and snow safety for free!

Great conditions in the western and northern Alps

Noordstau galore! In this live report you see awesome pictures from Sunday morning. I’m on my way to the Alps at the moment, because if you want to ride cold and dry powder, this is the moment!

Engelberg this morning
Engelberg this morning
Kleinwalsertal
Kleinwalsertal

A new storm coming in on Tuesday/Wednesday

Monday will start sunny everywhere but a new storm will arrive in the French Alps by the end of the afternoon and it will start snowing again. The snow line fluctuates around 1,000 meters in the west and will drop even further when the precipitation expands into the northern Alps on Tuesday. It will be cold and the powder coming down will be light and fluffy on Wednesday. Expect around 5-20 cm of freshies with the center of gravity in the northwest. The sun will come out on Wedneday again and this is the powder advice for the next couple of days:

Powder advice: first west and northwest, later north

Happy hunting! The powder advice doesn’t differ from yesterday. Choose resorts with trees between 1200 and 2100 meters and with a decent base and you’ll have some great days. And if you’d ask me, I would avoid the steep slopes and big faces above the 2200 meter. Leave those slopes to the avalanche dummies. This is the powder chase the next couple of days:

Warm air will attempt to reach the Alps

Warm air will make a serious attempt to penetrate the Alps later this week. That is if we have to believe the snow maps. But hey, let’s first enjoy the snow that’s coming down right now!

Jetstream to the north
Jetstream to the north
Temperature is rising
Temperature is rising

Test your knowledge about avalanches and snow safety for free!

The avalanche danger in the Alps is ‘Considerale’ (3 on a scale of 5) or ‘High’ (4 on a scale of 5) at the moment. More and more people venture off-piste, but not everybody has the right knowledge and the right gear. Already 15 people died because of avalanches this winter. Do you have the right knowledge to ride off-piste? Test it yourself and start with the first capital of the Mountain Academy for free! No knowledge? Stay on the marked slopes or hire a mountain guide!

Stay stoked, Morris

meteomorris

Replies

Advanced
LiBTech1978proAuthor18 January 2016 · 10:50

Any news on southern alps Italy for example?

Advanced
SunkansAuthor18 January 2016 · 12:48

I’m also intrested in any predictions for southern alps, planned a trip to Monterosa ski week 5 and it doesnt look good right now.
Does it seem to be any chance of decent off-pist there by then??

Advanced
LiBTech1978proAuthor18 January 2016 · 19:57

Madonna di Campiglio has some snow but off piste is not possible because of lack of snow , all you can do is stay on piste http://www.campigliodolomiti.it/webcam

Tourist
AnonymousAuthor18 January 2016 · 23:01

Hey morris! Do you have any information on the ski areas and snow conditions currently in Georgia (gudauri)? Thinking about trying something new in february instead of heading the Alps.

Tourist
AnonymousAuthor19 January 2016 · 04:25

Any guesses on snow between now and Feb 20 for Lech/Zurs?

Never miss a PowderAlert!

Get updates on the latest news, PowderAlerts and more!