This is why you want to ride powder in Japan!

This is why you want to ride powder in Japan!

There’s quite a chance that La Niña will influence the weather in the northwest of the US and on Hokkaido, the northern island of Japan. Now that’s another reason why you should add both the destinations to your buckey list. And if that’s still not enough: check out the video above. Yes. We are stoked for winter!

More information about riding deep powder in Japan

meteomorris

Replies

Advanced
Bart-FirstAuthor15 October 2017 · 01:46

Siick!!!

Can’t wait to go back!! :D

First up - First tracks - First tours
Advanced
Chester_TartsnatcherAuthor15 October 2017 · 19:29

For the Pacific Northwest in the Etats-Unis, consider Mt. Baker for ridiculous amounts of powder, so much that Canadians close to Whistler/Blackcomb come down across the border for the snow. Stay in Glacier, Washington for the closest lodging for a multi day Baker extravaganza.

Also consider the Puget Sound triad of Stevens Pass, Alpental and Crystal Mountain, each with a 2 hour drive of downtown Seattle. Lots of great snow, but try touring or hanging out in Seattle on the weekends when powder stress can be high.

The of course in Canada, everyone knows Whistler/Blackcomb is a fantastic complex with frequent dumps of great snow.

Also in Canada, consider going East to spots like Red Mountain and our favorite, Whitewater where Whitewater near Nelson get’s enormous amounts of high quality snow and Nelson is a beautiful town above Kootenay Lake with lots of snowcat and heli operations nearby as well as hot springs.

EuroBBI2024 Rueras, CH March 1-9, 2024
Beginner
mhilbertsAuthor16 April 2018 · 07:03

Did my season closure session in MtBaker this weekend. Some decent pow but concrete in the PM. Always good to get face shots in April ;)
Baker celebrated 800” of snow yesterday for this La Niña season. That’s almost 20m of snow. I am not sure what alpental got but with a base of 5.80m at 1500m I would say a lot. Not the dryest powder this year but I for one would call this La Niña year a successful one for at least the PNW.

Expert
meteomorrisAuthor16 April 2018 · 07:34

@@mhilberts, thanks for sharing. I went to the Alps last weekend. Conditions were great in the Swiss main alpine ridge. Fluffy powder high up and a very thick base.

powfinder.com
Never miss a PowderAlert!

Get updates on the latest news, PowderAlerts and more!