Scandinavia or the Alps for the weekend 13-15 dec?

• Nidhugg
    Advanced
    Nidhugg op 5 Dezember 2013 · 18:08
    Hi Morris
    My friends and I plan to start the ski season next weekend, hopefully with some pow!

I am however not clear on where to go. We live nearby Stockholm, so we can easily fly down to the alps or take the car to Norway. It looks like it will be snowing a LOT in Stranda in Norway in the coming days, but the forecast says it will be warmer next week, possibly ruin it. On the other hand, in the alps it will not snow as much but the weather looks better apart from the wind. So, would you go to Stranda in Norway or the alps, and if so, where (Obertaurn or St Moritz for example).
  • meteomorris
    Tourist
    meteomorris op 5 Dezember 2013 · 20:28
    @Nidhugg
    That's a good question. A huge storm is approaching the Alps at the moment with snow and a LOT of wind. The French and most of the Swiss Alps haven't seen any snow for a week. Obertauern was good, but it's hard to predict what the wind will do.

Long term for the Alps is: no snow and warmer temperatures.
    Long term for Norway is: warmer, with a chance on cooler temperatures from 13015 december.

If possible I would wait at least untill Sunday. Than we have an idea what damage the wind caused.

If you can't wait that long, you should go to the Zermatt region. They have on of the best snowcovers at the moment in the Alps.

Cheers
    May the powder be with you.
  • Nidhugg
    Advanced
    Nidhugg op 5 Dezember 2013 · 21:28
    Thanks for the advice, we will wait to decide over the weekend then!
  • meteomorris
    Tourist
    meteomorris op 5 Dezember 2013 · 21:36
    @Nidhugg, that's what I would do either.
  • Nidhugg
    Advanced
    Nidhugg op 9 Dezember 2013 · 15:01
    So, sunday has passed, but I am still uncertain. Stranda looks too warm, so I wont go there. The question is if its worth going down to the alps or if the warmth and wind have ruined it for the coming weekend (we havent booked anything so we could easily skip it)? If we go, should we go to Zermatt:ish or Obertaurn:ish. It looks colder further east according to the forecasts I've seen?
  • meteomorris
    Tourist
    meteomorris op 9 Dezember 2013 · 15:10
    @Nidhugg Obertauern might be a good option. Zermatt has not seen any fresh snow. In the bowl there is still some powder to be found.
  • Nidhugg
    Advanced
    Nidhugg op 9 Dezember 2013 · 16:17
    Thanks!

Just to be sure, you dont think the wind (and the coming warmer weather) will ruin the snow?
  • meteomorris
    Tourist
    meteomorris op 9 Dezember 2013 · 20:40
    The warmer temperatures will ruin the south faces. North, east and west faces will stay good though. Wind is droppin' after tomorrow.
  • Nidhugg
    Advanced
    Nidhugg op 9 Dezember 2013 · 21:39
    Perfect, thanks a lot!!!!
  • Jokiv
    Beginner
    Jokiv op 10 Dezember 2013 · 07:46
    We're heading to alps (flights to milan and rental car) about same time 13-18 dec, is there good ideas where to go during this time? Obertauern was mentioned, but anything closer to Milan perhaps?
  • meteomorris
    Tourist
    meteomorris op 10 Dezember 2013 · 19:40
    @Jokiv, it's pretty warm and the baselayer is still pretty thin. You might check Passo Tonale, Sulden am Ortler or Val Senales.
  • Jokiv
    Beginner
    Jokiv op 11 Dezember 2013 · 07:19
    Thank you very much for the hints. We'll figure out something, might keep Piemonte also as an option. I guess there might be change for some soft spring like snow during the sunshine.
  • Jokiv
    Beginner
    Jokiv op 26 Dezember 2013 · 09:39
    Meteomorris , late thank you for your traveling tips. We did visit all those place plus engadin on the way back. Very nice resorts with huge freeride potential, must go back with better snow situation. Snow was hard and tricky like evrywhere at that time, but we managed to do some couloir skiing in passo tonale (i thnik you should always try to do that when in Italy). Incredible sunshine all the time and man it´s really going to be dangerous now with the new snow. I hope everybody remebers that!
  • meteomorris
    Tourist
    meteomorris op 26 Dezember 2013 · 10:11
    @Jokiv thanks. It's really dangerous at the moment.

Antworten

Du musst eingeloggt sein, um auf dieses Thema zu antworten. Bitte Einloggen oder erstelle einen Account.

Upgrade zu wepowder Pro

• Erweiterte 14-Tage Vorhersage
  • Hangneigungs- und Expositionsebenen
  • Begeisternde Freeride Varianten
wePowder Pro