PA #6: Positive news!

PA #6: Positive news!

I said the following on Monday: Am I seeing the first indications for PowderAlert #6? Is PowderAlert #6 coming? Well, it will come eventually. So the question is not if it will come, but when and where it will come. The first indications are there. And I presented comparisons between the maps of GFS and ECMWF. Both showed a southwest south depression from the 17th of December. The maps of today are showing that again. They basicly didn’t change. You really have to look closely to see the small differences between the map from Monday and today.

18 September, south west-lage
18 September, south west-lage

The first indications are confirmed, but I repeat once again: It’s way too early to mark this forecast as a PowderAlert, but hey, it’s always good to be positive these days! So please keep in mind that this forecast is an indication.

And besides that, one PowderAlert doesn’t mean that winter will be back. An Azores high pressure area is dangerously close and a shift is still possible the next couple of days. But…the maps are more positive than before, because they’re showing some precipitation around the 17th and the 20th of December. Still pretty far away, but we’re moving in the right direction. Change is on its way! More on Friday!

I’ve got three tips to ride powder for you until the next PowderAlert. You’ll find the most pow in the resorts that were closed or that got some freshies. A third option is riding with a ski- or mountainguide. The following regions had some freshies the last couple of days: Vorarlberg/Kleinwalsertal, the Salzburgerland, the north of Steiermark and the south of Oberösterreich. They got around 20-50 centimeters. Unfortunately, the wind kicked in as well and the snow has been blown away from the ridges in the east. The wind wass less strong in the west. You’ll find powder in bowls that were covered from the wins and the lower parts of the mountain. Avoid the slopes with a southern exposure, they’ll turn green due to the temperature rise the next couple of days. The other slopes will remain good.

The resorts that didn’t open their lifts yet can be found in the western and southern Piemonte. They had some freshies last week and the forests are full with snow and you might find some powder there. A good mountain- or ski guide is the key to finding good snow. They know how to guide you through the snowfields safely. And maybe they’ll lead you to there secret stashes, so you’ll return home with a big smile on your face.

Stay stoked

Morris

meteomorris

Replies

Tourist
AnonymousAuthor12 December 2013 · 08:14

White christmas???

Never miss a PowderAlert!

Get updates on the latest news, PowderAlerts and more!