Christmas Storm

By Luca on 7 January 2014 · 13

Skiing over the road
Skiing over the road

Last week had been really epic all over the Alps. Gressoney got 2 meters of new snow. It wasn't fresh and fluffy powder, it was a little bit wet, but anyway it was really a lot of snow!!

The huts
The huts

Due do this big dump snow stability was critical and big avalanches could occur also on flat faces; I saw snow drifting also in the woods. Avalanche danger were 5 on 5 and unluckily some people died out there; a thought for them and for their families. Ride In Peace.

The very first day was really dangerous and Camillo, Fede and I skinned on the slopes then “tried” to ski in the woods...

It was impossible to ski on the flat parts and almost impossible were the woods were steep. The amount of snow was so large that you could only dig a deep trench, then the weight of the snow would stop you. It was not a pleasant feeling because that gave you a sense of imprisonment, almost suffocation. Also the skinning part was really difficult: even trying to stay on the snowcat tracks you were knee deep in the snow!

Skinning just outside my house
Skinning just outside my house

To ski in that condition you would need a beast like this!!

In the woods
In the woods

Waist deep
Waist deep

The storm finished Friday evening and on Saturday and on Sunday we got plenty of tree action; it was ust amazing to jump everywhere knowing that you would land on a soft mattress.

Lots of tree action
Lots of tree action

The storm is gone leaving a beautiful Christmas present

Camillo stoked
Camillo stoked

Shredding the woods
Shredding the woods

Unluckily I hit hard a rock and i injured my leg... Nothing serious but for a few days I'm out of the games...

Here my full report

Luca

www.lucazattoni.com

Comments

• ErnstHendrikSprenger
    Expert
    ErnstHendrikSprenger op 7 January 2014 · 12:01
    Hehehe, nice story Luca. You could say: 'It was so deep, we just had to go steep 😀'

Enjoy!
    FUCK YEAH I AM FREE
  • KlasRydstrand
    Advanced
    KlasRydstrand op 7 January 2014 · 13:54
    We had the same experience Luca. Last week we had some fantastic tree runs in the Gressoney woods, nice when the snow had settled a bit. Hope to be back soon. Please share any videos you might have! @49 are you on the slopes yet?
  • Luca
    Expert
    Luca op 7 January 2014 · 14:04
    @ErnstHendrikSprenger you're right! in fact we went steep yesterday! more infos shortly. @KlasRydstrand i don't have videos of this snow fall but maybe i can edit one of last week

bye!
    Luca - www.lucazattoni.com
  • jazzman
    Advanced
    jazzman op 7 January 2014 · 19:44
    I would love to have been there just for the amazing landscape. There is nothing like being in the woods when snowing "pizzas".
    Cheers!!
    It´s snow or never!!
    Advanced
    49 op 8 January 2014 · 08:59
    @luca @KlasRydstrand

Yesterday made my first turns. Crossing the 3 valleys on groomers and inspecting the woods above Stafal. Now up for improvement.
    montagna bianca, ti amo
  • KlasRydstrand
    Advanced
    KlasRydstrand op 8 January 2014 · 12:21
    Keep me posted @49 Looking forward to some blog entries....
  • Luca
    Expert
    Luca op 8 January 2014 · 16:46
    @49 if you have climbing skills (really beginner climbing skills) check te couloirs under and above the indren gondola!! (you'll find my tracks) lot of powder there to be found! some of them need 10m of rope, other just crampons or vibram boots
  • KlasRydstrand
    Advanced
    KlasRydstrand op 8 January 2014 · 23:09
    Do it @49 !
    😃
    Advanced
    49 op 8 January 2014 · 23:14
    @Luca @KlasRydstrand maybe you can give me the names of your routes (if they have any)? Than I could check them in Polvere Rosa and my freeride map.

Today I did Leisch Canyon. No Pow, but great surroundings!
    montagna bianca, ti amo
  • Luca
    Expert
    Luca op 9 January 2014 · 11:52
    @49 @KlasRydstrand i think i'm gonna open a new thread "monteRosa - Gressoney" and write there the runs i do when i'm up. but keep in mind that almost everything that i do requires mountaineering knowledge, ropes, ice axe, harnesses and experience on steep terrain
  • Luca
    Expert
    Luca op 9 January 2014 · 11:56
    anyway last week i did Punta Vittoria N face (pag 230), Malfatta (pag 228), Val d'Otro from passo zube (pag 238)
    Advanced
    49 op 9 January 2014 · 15:31
    @luca
    I know you do more like ski mountaineering. That is why I ask about the routes, so I can check the skills needed 😉. Today Gabiet-Salati was closed due to high winds. Malfatta and Val D'Otro via Zube are on my list, but for later on. Punta Vittoria I have to check.
    montagna bianca, ti amo
  • Luca
    Expert
    Luca op 9 January 2014 · 16:17
    @49 starting with passo zube is ok, i did the same years ago. by there you can do the giacchetti couloir (just staying to the left when you reach passo zube, it's really easy to find) or you can go into otro; just stay on the right after reaching passo zube.

You need to be logged in to post a comment in this topic. Login or create an account.

Upgrade to wepowder Pro

• Extended 14 day forecast
  • Slope angle and exposition terrain layers
  • Inspirational freeride routes
wePowder Pro