Pudderalert: extend your weekend

By meteomorris on 23 January 2014 · 8

Powder is coming
Powder is coming

The map above is showing a lot of freshies already, but believe me, the maps will get even better.

Last weekend was deep and everything was perfect. Cold air, a little humidity, a current from the east and enough Stau to create three centimeters of snow out of one millimeter of water. The result: shots like the ones below. Japanese Canadian style powder. Dry and loose as can be.

And it will get perfect again. The current will turn east on Saturday and the game will be on from that moment. Cold air and lots of humidity will result in lots and lots of snow for the resorts in the east. The biggest dump will come down after Monday.

Perfect isobars
Perfect isobars

The isobars will be in the perfect position, the air temperature will drop and it’s time to ride bottomless deep powder for three days in a row. So, what are you waiting for? Extend your weekend!

Stay stoked

Morris

Comments

• JAndersB
    Advanced
    JAndersB op 23 January 2014 · 19:11
    Nice!
  • robbie
    Expert
    robbie op 23 January 2014 · 20:52
    This one could be epic again. I was in Hemsedal last weekend and it was truly a weekend to remember. The base is good, so if we get another half a meter or so, it's going to be full on party time in the forest, for the second time in just over a week!
    Pretty unstable slabs on leeward slopes above the treeline, but in the forest it was just sweet and no wind😃 Just got to make sure you don't get hit in the head by some nasty stuff from above you. So watch out when traversing!
  • JAndersB
    Advanced
    JAndersB op 24 January 2014 · 11:00
    I know yr.no have difficulties with wind from east and snowfall in for instance Hemsedal. Their forecast for next 4 days is though nothing or in total at most 8-9 millimeters...
  • robbie
    Expert
    robbie op 26 January 2014 · 11:10
    @jandersb What do you know about yrs problems in predicting easterly winds and precip? I noticed they never really predict snowfall in Hemsedal anywhere close to reality. So I'm wondering why that is?
  • JAndersB
    Advanced
    JAndersB op 26 January 2014 · 13:07
    Not really shure why they very often miss on this. It was the same last Christmas when we had much more light powder than predicted (see link blow). Also then cold and easterly winds. I guess they do not take enough consideration to the wind/stau effect and Hemsedal beeing the first really big mountains coming from the east.

By the way, got a 28cm powder alert this morning from Hemsedal, falling last night. Should have neen nothing.

• robbie
    Expert
    robbie op 26 January 2014 · 13:58
    Yes, it must be the stau that they don't take into account. But I was wondering if there was more to it, because they typically underestimate the amount of precipitation by a factor of 4 (in case of SE wind). I wonder if that it just due to the stau, @meteomorris ?
  • JAndersB
    Advanced
    JAndersB op 31 January 2014 · 20:07
    I still guess so. For the night between thursday and today friday the forecast was rather low. and another 20-25 cm of super light pow fell. Epic. and more for sunday and next week.

• JAndersB
    Advanced
    JAndersB op 1 February 2014 · 18:18
    Another short video from yesterday in Hemsedal. Norway or Japan? It was good in any case. Snowing heavily now again, saturday evening.

You need to be logged in to post a comment in this topic. Login or create an account.

Upgrade to wepowder Pro

• Extended 14 day forecast
  • Slope angle and exposition terrain layers
  • Inspirational freeride routes
wePowder Pro