Live PA #1: up to 161 centimeters of freshies!

Live PA #1: up to 161 centimeters of freshies!

A real triple stager appeared on the maps the last couple of days, where there is a big chance of 2 to 4 meters of freshies the next 14 days and this might locally even be 5 meters of snow coming down. Obviously, this won’t lead to walls of snow of 5 meters, but the snow will settle to a great base for the rest of the season. We’re talking about a base for the southwest, south and main alpine ridge in the Alps. Check out Mondays forecast to see where that 5 meters of snow are coming from. We followed the dump yesterday the whole and this Wednesday morning and we concluded that already up to 130 centimeter of freshies came down in 24 hours time. Winter is here!

We’ll count the centimeters the next 12 days, where we have a close look at the snowline, which will go up and down. More updates from the Alps all day!

5/11 16.59 Critical avalanche situation in the southern regions in Switzerland

The SLF warns for the critical avalalanche situation south of the Alps after the intense snowfall of the last 36 hours.

5/11 15.21 177 centimeter of freshies in the Gotthard regio

And it’s still snowing in the Gotthard regio. Since the start of the snowfall they got 177 centimeter of freshies.

5/11 Gotthard is reporting the most snow: 161 centimeter

The Gotthard region is getting hammered. The Cavanna pass already had 161 centimeters in only 36 hours and the snow cover already is 176 centimeters. More snow is expected today.Cavanna pass 176 centimeter of snow

5/11 Monte Rosa had his dump. The snowfall is moving north.

The Monte Rosa region had their share of the snowfall. Between 50-100 centimeter came down north of the Monte Roda. South of the Monte Rosa and south of the Simplon around 80-140 centimeters came down until now. This afternoon and this evening the Dolomites, Ost-Tirol and the southern areas in Tirol are next.Snow expectation for 13 hours this afternoon

5/11 10.57 cold air coming in from the northwest is visible in the Black Forest in Germany

The incoming cold air is bringing snow to the Black Forest in Germany. But it will be gone by tomorrow when the warm air is coming in.

Snow in the Black Forest
Snow in the Black Forest

5/11 10.41 Still wet and warm in large parts of Austria and Switzerland

The webcam below is in Arosa (at 2100 meters) from this morning. It’s wet and too warm. It’s too warm in Austria as well.Arosa this morning at 2100 meter

+2 in the Kleinwalsertal
+2 in the Kleinwalsertal

5/11 10.28 Snowfall is moving east and north

The snow is moving to the east today. The map below is showing that the snowfall is moving east.Snowfall moving east

5/11 10.27 Snowline around 1900 meter in the Engadin

The snowfall is moving east and the Engadin is next. It’s snowing south of St. Moritz. It’s pretty warm in Madesimo (village) and the snow is melting.The famous Hossa Bar at the Corvatsch

Lots of snow
Lots of snow
Snowline at the Maloja pass
Snowline at the Maloja pass
Melting snow in Madesimo
Melting snow in Madesimo

5/11 10.13 Snowfall is stopping in the French southern Alps and the western Piemonte

The snowfall in the west is stopping and it’s time to look at the results. Above 2000 meters around 50-80 centimeters, locally even 115 centimeters of freshies and the differences are big. It’s above zee below 2000 meters. Let’s hope for a clear night!55 centimeter at 2000 meter in Puy St. Vincent

Lots of freshies in Sestriere
Lots of freshies in Sestriere

Above zero in Vars

Above zero in Prali
Above zero in Prali

Some snowfall in the west today

5/11 10.08 Snowline dropping in the west

The announced drop of the temperature in the west is coming in. As expected, Wallis and the Berner Oberland and the Gotthard Region are the regions that profit the most. The snowline is around 1350 meters and I expect it to drop even further. Engelberg and Andermatt are reporting snow deep into the valleys.Engelberg

Freshies on the Titlis
Freshies on the Titlis
Engelberg lower in the valley
Engelberg lower in the valley
Andermatt village
Andermatt village
La Fouly in western Wallis
La Fouly in western Wallis

9.02 images from Airolo

Turn on the lifts! What a great amount of snow in Airolo! Peter Forni and Emilio Lombardi: get your place ready and let’s have some breakfast!

What an amount of snow!
What an amount of snow!
Loads of freshies
Loads of freshies

8.58 Up to 130 centimeter around the Gotthard

Things we’re going off at the southern side of the Gotthard region. Up to 60 centimeters of freshies in around 6 hours time. That’s 10 centimeters per hour!130 centimeter in 24 hour

Loads of snow

meteomorris

Replies

Tourist
AnonymousAuthor5 November 2014 · 12:06

Do you really think that would be fun in Airolo? I think the freezing level is quite to high for good snow conditions on Friday and Saturday. Highest point in the area is around 2200m.

Expert
meteomorrisAuthor5 November 2014 · 17:49

@@powplow No, but it is the stoke that takes over. I’m so eager to shred powder again… But you’re totally correct… It;s the stoke… the stoke ;)
Let the winter begin!!

powfinder.com
Tourist
AnonymousAuthor5 November 2014 · 18:36

I could go to zermatt glacier tomorrow but I fear the lift from cervinia will be closed… I don’t know what to do :(

Tourist
AnonymousAuthor6 November 2014 · 08:59

So I can now see snow from the beach in Antibes. The snow line really came down.

Expert
meteomorrisAuthor9 November 2014 · 11:57

@@yotsit, we are you based?
@@Powdernick, sounds good… There is more to come!

powfinder.com
Tourist
AnonymousAuthor10 November 2014 · 16:25

@@meteomorris I’m from Monza… I can be in Cervinia 2 hours and half …luckily last week we stayed at home… on Thursday everything was closed.
I’ll probably go this friday :)

Expert
meteomorrisAuthor10 November 2014 · 16:37

@@yotsit, Friday might be a good bet. A bit warm, but with fresh snow…

powfinder.com
Never miss a PowderAlert!

Get updates on the latest news, PowderAlerts and more!