Pragelato becomes freeride area!

Pragelato becomes freeride area!

Pragelato, the area at the edge of the Via Lattea in Italy, becomes a freeride area. At least, the area calls itself not a ski area anymore, but a mountain (Natural Terrain) where you can do all sorts of activities and freeriding is called very explicitly. The area is accessible by two lifts.

Best slogan ever

Pragelato has the best slogan ever being 'montagna da vivere in libertà. Which means something like ‘the freedom to live on the mountain’. And let that be the reason for many of us why we ever started freeriding. The prices of the lift passes are awesome as well, with thirteen (yes, 13 euros) per day!

Initiator of the project is Carlalberto Cimento, freerider and tourskier. The two lifts open up an area completely in the spirit of freeriding and tour skiing. We wonder how this will work out. Will they attract enough visitors? And will you pay Pragelato a visit this winter?

Arjen
was born with maps of ski areas in the cradle and has visited almost all of them. His great passion is freeriding.

Replies

Advanced
JAndersBAuthor21 November 2014 · 16:40

Nice!!!

Advanced
NidhuggAuthor22 November 2014 · 15:41

Definitely, its an obvious stop when I already have a week planned in Via Lattea!

Tourist
AnonymousAuthor23 November 2014 · 19:53

Hallo.
Is really true that they open after being closed due to lifts too old.
It is a great area for tree skiing. Been there for a couple of times.
Gunnar the Swede

Advanced
ArjenproadminAuthor24 November 2014 · 00:02

According to their website they should open this season.

One day, they'll invent synthetic powder, ban all kinds of work and give you a free liftpass...
Tourist
AnonymousAuthor24 November 2014 · 20:44

I´ve seen that the “powder stress” sign is on…
What is the best time of the year to go?

Tourist
AnonymousAuthor25 November 2014 · 14:53

I have been there in januari and februari. And the right day it is awesome. One bad thing not too many places to stay.

Tourist
PjrAuthor14 April 2018 · 15:44

Sorry to open an old thread, but when I drove through Pragelato on Easter weekend the lift wasn’t running. I asked a local guide and he said there was an issue with the lift, it was privately owned and he didn’t know if it would reopen. All the activity I could see was a baby slope near the ski jumps and the cross-country skiing.

Does anyone have any contacts to find out the real situation? I wonder if this is somewhere like La Grave where crowdfunding or public sector help might restore the situation? Also, you might imagine that Club Med next door might be keen to have the local lifts running. It looks like a lovely mountain to go largely to waste!

Tourist
PjrAuthor15 August 2018 · 10:16

Can I just bump this up again please? I’ve not found the answer myself in the meantime.

Expert
meteomorrisAuthor15 August 2018 · 20:05

@@Pjr, Pragelato is closed for the moment. It is a lovely mountain but with sestriere just around the corner there is no one that would take the risk to invest at this stage.

powfinder.com
Tourist
PjrAuthor15 August 2018 · 20:15

Thanks. I’ve heard that the Italian part of Via Lattea may be sold in the next couple of years so perhaps the buyer will also invest in Pragelato. I also found an old reference to an idea to link Pragelato directly to Sauze’s ski area to complete the circuit. That would ease the strain on the Sestriere/Sauze gondola and increase the ski area. Fingers crossed. If you hear anything more, let us know!

Never miss a PowderAlert!

Get updates on the latest news, PowderAlerts and more!