#PA1: Start your engines

By meteomorris on 14 October 2015 · 6

It's October 14th in the year 2015. The day that the first PowderAlert of this winter is announced! The Diavolezza is about to open, the glaciers in Austria are getting ready for a great week and it already looks like winter in Saas Fee. This is a memorable start of a new winter.

Engadin, St. Moritz
Engadin, St. Moritz

Diavolezza, St. Moritz
Diavolezza, St. Moritz

Pitztaler Gletsjer
Pitztaler Gletsjer

And what about Davos or Gargellen in the Montafon valley. Not exactly high altitude resorts, but check out what it's like over there today.

Davos
Davos

Gargellen
Gargellen

Around 10-30 centimeters of freshies came down last night above 2000 meters altitude and the snow line locally even dropped to 1500 meters.

27 cm of freshies in Davos
27 cm of freshies in Davos

And there's more to come. Our snow maps show you exactly where to expect the most snow the next couple of days. When you have a look on the list of resorts you might think it's winter already. The snow line will be between 1000 and 1700 meters altitude the next couple of days and it will snow intense today and tomorrow.

Lots of colours on the snow map
Lots of colours on the snow map

This is Hurricane Powder
I've announced it last week already and I just love it when a plan comes together. Ex-hurricane Joaquin took its time to cross the Atlantic, but the results were worth waiting for. Joaquin merged with multiple other storm depressions in the Mediterranean. And he wants to be called Steffan.

Storm Steffan #PA1
Storm Steffan #PA1

Steffan will dominate the weather in the Alps until Saturday. It will snow in the Italian Dolomites and the Austrian main alpine ridge at first, but Steffan will create a 'retour d'est' right after and will push its fronts to the Gotthard region and the Mont Viso. The last snow will come down on Friday and it's time for the sun to come out on Saturday.

A new storm is waiting to come in on Sunday. The snow line can be found at pretty high altitude, but will probably drop rapidly pretty soon. I'm not quite sure of the path of this second storm, so I'll give you my 'where to go' advice tomorrow.

If you have some time, you might get your first powder of the season. But remember, it's still October, so there are the typical early season warnings. Only some high altitude resorts and some glacier resorts have their lifts running. Please ride with your head and don't let stoke take over.

• The rocks (sharks) are not covered by a thick snow layer yet and so the risk of getting injured or damage your gear is high.
  • The summer was pretty warm and the crevasses will be right below the surface. If you ride on a glacier, ride on the slopes.
  • The winter is still long and injuries, fractures etc. can ruin the rest of your winter. Don't go full throttle.
  • You can find a base here and there. This means that the first avalanches of the season are possible.

Please keep those things in mind when you ride down. I'll give you some 'where to go' advice tomorrow!

Stay stoked!
Morris

Comments

• poedersletje
    Tourist
    poedersletje op 14 October 2015 · 11:42
    Is this the earliest PA ever given, or what?
    "Some people will tell you that slow is good, but I'm here to tell you that fast is better.
  • meteomorris
    Tourist
    meteomorris op 14 October 2015 · 11:46
    @poedersletje, it is!
    May the powder be with you.
  • meteomorris
    Tourist
    meteomorris op 14 October 2015 · 11:50
    May the powder be with you.
  • lenard
    Beginner
    lenard op 14 October 2015 · 18:01
    REAaaallly Nice 😀 I can hardly wait!
  • Arjen
    Advanced
    Arjen op 14 October 2015 · 21:21
    Yes! Let's get this winter started!
    One day, they'll invent synthetic powder, ban all kinds of work and give you a free liftpass...
  • Arjen
    Advanced
    Arjen op 14 October 2015 · 21:23

Tignes 😃
    One day, they'll invent synthetic powder, ban all kinds of work and give you a free liftpass...

You need to be logged in to post a comment in this topic. Login or create an account.

Upgrade to wepowder Pro

• Extended 14 day forecast
  • Slope angle and exposition terrain layers
  • Inspirational freeride routes
wePowder Pro