First some snow, but temperatures will rise

First some snow, but temperatures will rise

It was a great weekend in the mountains. Although I was shredding some quality waves somewhere in Europe I’ve been checking out the webcams a couple of times a day. I saw some images from the Stelvio Pass, some footage from Hintertux and shots from the Pitztal. Winter is starting. But the footage from Hintertux also gave me the shivers. It was a close call for that rider to end up in a crevasse. So again, I want to warn you for all the early season hazards. We understand your stoke, but the glaciers are full of crevasses. Prepare yourself well, be patient and be careful!

> „Abseits der Piste ist es derzeit brutal spaltig“, warnt ein Polizist der Polizeidienststelle Stubai. „Es hat einfach noch nicht genug geschneit. Durch den Neuschnee sind die Spalten aber zugedeckt und werden nicht gleich erkannt.

The sun came out in the west of the Alps, but it’s still snowing in the far east of Austria. The snow plows were sent out to clean the Grossglocknerstrasse. They will keep doing that for the next couple of weeks, but there’s no denying. Winter is coming.

Snow on the Grossglocknerstrasse
Snow on the Grossglocknerstrasse
Snow plow on the Grossglocknerstrasse
Snow plow on the Grossglocknerstrasse

More freshies

It will keep snowing in the (northeast) of Austris until Wednesday. It will remain cold and this will result in around 15-40 centimeter of freshies above 2200 meters. Especially in the east it could snow for a long time. In the meantime, a high pressure area is getting ready to bring warm air to the Alps with a southwestern current. The jetstream is still south of the Alps, but will be north of the Alps from Wednesday and this will bring warmer air to the Alps.

High pressure are will bring warm air
High pressure are will bring warm air

Rising temperatures

A weak warm front will come in on Thursday. This front will loose most of its strength, but the moisture and high temperatures will soak the snow cover up to high altitude. The moisture will be gone by Friday and we’ll have to deal with typical high pressure weather. Sunny and mild days and cold and clear nights. This will be the weather until the middle of next week. During this kind of weather, the excisting snow cover will transform itself into a layer of sugar snow and hoar. Something you should think about when the next dump comes down. It all comes down to this:

• Blue skies and (tracked) powder in the west of the Alps
  • Cloudy, grey and fresh snow on the glaciers in Austria
  • Sunny again on the peaks in the Pitztal, Stubaital, Sölden and Hintertux. Possibly some more snowfall in Kaprun
  • The sun is coming out in large parts of Austria on Wednesday
  • Higher temperatures and more moist in the air on Thursday
  • High pressure weather from Friday
Snow on our snow maps
Snow on our snow maps

Powder advice:

• Sun and freshies on the glaciers in Tyrol on Tuesday
  • Sunny in Austria on Wednesday

This means that #PA1 comes to an end. There will be great snow till Wednesday. After that we’ll have to wait what next week will bring.

Stay stoked
Morris

meteomorris
Never miss a PowderAlert!

Get updates on the latest news, PowderAlerts and more!