Tokyo Snow Shops

• Karst
    Advanced
    Karst op 3 November 2015 · 02:26
    As Japanese powder is becoming more popular by the year, I thought I’d share the shops!
    … and if you’re visiting as a tourist, you can take advantage of tax free shopping and a relatively weak JPY…
    There are the two areas I’ve come across which aren’t explicitly mentioned in any travel guide, but I’m sure there are more places to shop for your winter gear (Tokyo is huge).
    Firstly, between Jimbucho Station and Ogawamachi Station (all in Chidoya-ku) you can find an area packed with snow-mounting-sports shops. If you’re on a tourist visit to Tokyo, you can combine this area with the Imperial Palace and metropolitan Ginza. This is also where I headed last weekend. This place gets busy in the weekends! The shops can be classified as follows shops:
    - Megastores: 8 floors packed with the latest of the major brands (bulk, reasonably priced, good choice), like Victoria ski shop (not to be confused with Victoria Running and a Victoria Golf)
    - Ski- boutique shops: focus on the piste skiers (many of these, low choice, not the best price)
    - Snowboard shops: the snowboard scene is not dead! Shops with a great vibe, hand made fishtails, shiny freestyle bindings. In general, lots of cool gadgets to browse through, not only for snowboarders…
    - Ski freeride shop: not many, I found that Vail-Tokyo had a very good selection though. Both for free riding and touring.

Good to note that I didn't find place sold boots over 28,5mp. I was looking for some new gloves, and was lucky to scoop-up the last size L Hestra’s (a good bargain too!)…

Another area of interest could be the shops along the Meiji Dori near Meijijingu-Mae Station (Shibuya-ku). Combine this visit with a stroll along the Omotesando (the Champs-Elysées of Tokyo), the Shibuya crossing or a walk through Yoyogi park. Along the Meiji Dori you’ll find flagship-style stores of the major clothing / apparel brands (TNF, Patagonia, Hagloffs, etc etc). nice to browse, quite pricy. Tucked away behind the main street south east of the Meiji Dori and the Omotesando you’ll find some boutique surf/skate/snow shops (and stylish cafes).

Some pictures in Chidoya-ku:

Stand in line, and win a holiday (very popular weekend activity...):

nice....
    Smile! Your ridin' pow!!!

You need to be logged in to post a comment in this topic. Login or create an account.

Upgrade to wepowder Pro

• Extended 14 day forecast
  • Slope angle and exposition terrain layers
  • Inspirational freeride routes
wePowder Pro