Livigno: best freeride resort in Italy

By Arjen on 13 November 2015 · 4

We visited the Italian resort Livigno last season to ride some deep powder. One of the reasons we ended up in Livigno was their very progressive freeriding policy. That's has been different in the past (freeriding was long forbidden in Livigno when the avalanche danger was three or higher and also in the rest of Italy at times it remains unclear where you as a freerider should be aware of), but they changed that policy a couple of seasons ago. It is about informing rather than prohibiting.

Best freeride resort

I already told Fabiano Monti of the Livigno Freeride project two years ago that they were an expample to other resorts in the Alps. And I'm not the only one. On the "Skipass Modena, a major trade fair in Italy, Livigno has been voted 'best freeride resort in Italy'.

Own avalanche forecasts

The fact that they write their own avalanche forecasts focused entirely on Livigno (also in English), that you can attend meetings where you can learn more about avalanche safety, that there are several avalanche checkpoints in the area, and that they organize a four-day Freeride Festival in January certainly contribute to that.

Deep and dry pow in the trees of Livigno
Deep and dry pow in the trees of Livigno

Inspiration?

Let's hope that this recognition for LIvigno will inspire other Italian resorts to do more with freeriding. We are going back to Livigno this season. To ride some of those fine freeride routes, but to do a nice tour on the mountains around Livigno as well.

Comments

• Chester_Tartsnatcher
    Expert
    Chester_Tartsnatcher op 15 November 2015 · 00:20
    Better than MonteRosa ski?
  • Arjen
    Advanced
    Arjen op 15 November 2015 · 08:05
    That's an interesting discussion. You can definitely find more and better big lines in Monte Rosa, but I think Livigno received the award because of how they approach freeriding.
    One day, they'll invent synthetic powder, ban all kinds of work and give you a free liftpass...
  • Chester_Tartsnatcher
    Expert
    Chester_Tartsnatcher op 15 November 2015 · 17:54
    Pragaleto should get some credit too then.
  • Arjen
    Advanced
    Arjen op 16 November 2015 · 19:47
    For sure! They focus on Freeride as well. Probably ended second in that competition I guess
    One day, they'll invent synthetic powder, ban all kinds of work and give you a free liftpass...

You need to be logged in to post a comment in this topic. Login or create an account.

Upgrade to wepowder Pro

• Extended 14 day forecast
  • Slope angle and exposition terrain layers
  • Inspirational freeride routes
wePowder Pro