Should I use base Cleaner?

• InsaneTim
    InsaneTim op 6 December 2015 · 13:54
    Hi all,

I've bought myself a pair of new skies. Well, 'new' cause there has been skied on for like 2 days or so. Base looks pretty neat excluding one or to little scratches.

This saturday I will be heading to Les Deux Alpes, France to have some fun with my friends and I want to give my skies a wax layer on thursday or friday.

My question is: Should I use wax remover/base cleaner? I scrolled down some forums but opinions are divided about this topic. I've got a new spraycan of 'TOKO Wax Remover HC3' but I dont know wheter its good or not good to use it.

What do you think?

Kind regards,

• steveh
    steveh op 9 January 2016 · 19:10
    You should only use base cleaner when you need to repair a patch of the base, as Ptex will not stick if there is wax present. In this case use it on the repair area to get all wax out before applying Ptex.

However, you might want to clean out your bases as new bases do contain a lot of dust, but you do this with hot scrapping, not base cleaner. It is much more efficient at cleaning and it's cheaper too. Just take some wax (the cheapest you can find) and give your skis a good waxing. Leave them a minute or two until they are cool enough to handle then scrape off the wax while it's still warm. This will remove dust and dirt from the base; you should see it in the wax as you scrape it off. Depending on how fanatical you are you can keep doing this until the wax comes off clean, but personally I've never done it more then twice.

Once cleaned you wax again as normal, let the skis cool then remove excess wax and brush the bases (or not, it doesn't make a big difference in the long run unless you are a racer).
  • Chester_Tartsnatcher
    Chester_Tartsnatcher op 10 January 2016 · 02:45
    I use base cleaner on skis that have been on dirty snow or snow with a lot of tree debris/pine needles/twigs.

Or if I've been skinning a bunch.

That really helps them hold onto wax.

For relatively new skis, I wouldn't bother, the bases are likely very clean, possibly too dry.

You need to be logged in to post a comment in this topic. Login or create an account.

Upgrade to wepowder Pro

• Extended 14 day forecast
  • Slope angle and exposition terrain layers
  • Inspirational freeride routes
wePowder Pro