Some freshies for the highest peaks

Some freshies for the highest peaks

A dusting of snow will refresh the slopes. Nothing more, nothing less. It’s not exactly the amount of snow the Alps need at the moment. Two weak fronts cross the Alps the next couple of days and this won’t result in a big dump, but in a wet fart. A strong high pressure area is dominating the weather and we have to search for some positive points. Even on the long term. In this article:

• Some freshies for the northern Alps, but with high temperatures
  • No precipitation and green alpine meadows in the southern Alps
  • Some movement in the models after the 17th of December
Some freshies for the northern Alps
Some freshies for the northern Alps

A dusting of snow for the northern Alps

There’s some snow coming down the next couple of days. It won’t be enough for some good riding, but it will look good. It will result in some nice pictures on Thursday and Friday above 1200 - 1500 meters. If you live close to the Alps you could check out the Jungfrau Region. The base is pretty good and you could find around 15 centimeters of wind-blown freshies. But don’t wait too long, because the temperatures will rise on Thursday. Austria will get some snow on Saturday. The snow line will drop temporarily and with clouds and incoming warm air you can forget about Sunday. Thursday morning probably will be the best day for a powder turn, but to be completely honest, you must be quite desperate to spend your money. There’s no such thing as winter at the moment and with the high temperatures the snow cover below the treeline is shrinking fast.

Even worse in the southern Alps

The situation in the southern Alps is dramatic and there’s no snow in the forecast till the middle of December. They didn’t get any bug dumps during autumn and now we just have to hope for a big dump in the next six weeks. If the southern Alps don’t get a decent base before mid-Janury, than the season is pretty much over. This situation reminds me of a season at the beginning of the century. The first snow came down at the end of December and there wasn’t much precipitation in January either. I really love the treeruns in the southern Alps, so I hope the snow will come down…

Hiking instead of riding
Hiking instead of riding

Conclusion: Forget about freeriding in the Alps until December the 19th. Save your money for better times and wait for the dump to come. If you just have to go to the Alps, consider your time in the mountains as a great work-out. Work on your skills. And if the dump comes, you’ll be ready. If you stay at home, now is the time to start working on your knowledge!

If you’re not interested in riding powder, but just read this forecast to know where the snow will come down because you love to ski on the slopes? Don’t worry. There’s plenty of artificial snow in the Alps at the moment. If the snow won’t come down the next couple of weeks, you will find some white ribbons in a green landscape in the ski resorts.

NAO index less positive?
NAO index less positive?

Some movement in the models after the 17th of December

When you look at the image above you probably just see a black line and a set of red lines. The black lines are the measurements so far and the red line is the expectation. Do not worry about such images. See them as a modern bible: they give me hope. I know you’re disappointed because of this forecast, but for me it’s even worse. I have to look to this image four times a day and every time it just doesn’t change. But… one positive point popped up. The fact that the red line in the image above doesn’t go that high is good news. That could mean that later this month (just like in November), the jet stream will drop and the Alps finally get into the cold air. Time for a snow dance!!

Stay stoked, Morris

meteomorris

Replies

Tourist
AnonymousAuthor8 December 2015 · 16:02

I could see on some forecasts that it looks like there is a big dump coming in the 17th. Or is it too early to tell?

Thank you for the daily updates, even if they have not brought any good news latley.

Advanced
LaurynasAuthor9 December 2015 · 13:42

If you would have to choose between Jungfrau and Engelberg for 15th to 22nd, where would you go?

Tourist
AnonymousAuthor9 December 2015 · 15:01

If you’re prepared to work for them there are still some great turns to be earned in France. These were from the last 4 days https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1664591060451707.1073741830.1434568140120668&type=3

Expert
meteomorrisAuthor9 December 2015 · 15:22

@@joikast, next week is still a bit uncertain.
@@Laurynas, both are Good choises.

powfinder.com
Expert
meteomorrisAuthor9 December 2015 · 15:24

@mattcarr sweet. Can I use some of your pics in my forecast?

powfinder.com
Advanced
LaurynasAuthor9 December 2015 · 16:15

@mattcarr real nice!
@@meteomorris just booked in Engelberg… Hope we will have some nice picture as @mattcarr just send!

Beginner
KarlisAuthor10 December 2015 · 12:15

Hey guys! Going to Cervinia in a couple of days for a week. How would you comment this pic:

http://cdn.wepowder.nl/forum/1/15439.jpg?width=800

Sending it :)
Expert
meteomorrisAuthor10 December 2015 · 13:19

@Karlis
Cervinia has already a good layer higher up due to the snowfalls in October and a good dump during November. The forecast for next week is that there will be a storm moving in. The track is still a bit uncertain. It looks like the warm sector will pass on Tuesday and that colder air is moving in on Wednesday. That said this will mean that Cervinia might see some snow on Tuesday but almost no snow on Wednesday. But as the stormtrack is still uncertain this is mostly science fiction.

powfinder.com
Advanced
LaurynasAuthor10 December 2015 · 16:31

@@Karlis could you please send me print-screen of 9days forecast for Engelberg at 2085m altitude. We are going there next week. If you need i can recommend good guide in Cervinia. Thanks!

Never miss a PowderAlert!

Get updates on the latest news, PowderAlerts and more!