Rossignol sin 7 - Tourbinding yes or no?

• JeroenG
    Tourist
    JeroenG op 5 December 2016 · 13:27
    Hi all,

I recently acquired myself a pair of Rossignol Sin7 (in 188cm for your info). I'm wondering now whether I should go for regular bindings or tour ski bindings. I have never tour ski'd before, but I would really like to start with it still this season. Yet, following questions remain:
    - Is the Rossignol Sin7 a good ski for tour skiing (in terms of weight, float...)?
    - Do tour ski bindings support the same as a normal binding? I might want to do some cliff drops and take a medium-sized kicker in the park from time to time.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Jeroen
  • westiv
    Advanced
    westiv op 8 November 2017 · 12:48
    I think the Sin 7 weight is around 2kg each, not really a touring ski, but probably great for an all mountain ski.

I do have a pair of K2 Pinnacle 105, which are a bit similar to your Sin7 considering weight, on which I have mounted Marker King Pin 13 bindings, to be used for free ride and short climbs. They are great for short climbs up to 1 hour and hold really well downhill. I use them for all powder skiing. don't go for the King Pin 10, I've been told the 13's are far better constructed. I've used them now for 2 years and the bindings haven't let me down once.

I would also recommend some light alpine boots, which you can use on pin bindings. My K2 Pinnacle Pro boots have a 130 flex ratio and are super light for such a stiff boot.

For longer climbs I would still advice the lighter the better. My choice of ski for this is the Volkl 88 Lite, with only 1kg per ski!! Touring boots are also more comfortable for longer climbs, but which brand depends on your foot shape. try out as many as possible. You do not have the same support as with alpine boots though.

• redrook
    redrook op 6 August 2018 · 11:04

- Is the Rossignol Sin7 a good ski for tour skiing (in terms of weight, float...)?
    - Do tour ski bindings support the same as a normal binding? I might want to do some cliff drops and take a medium-sized kicker in the park from time to time.

Firstly, awesome ski choice, they are an incredible do-it-all (except park) ski. Secondly, yes plenty of people use them as touring skis. They are not a touring specific ski, so not as light as some, but still a great touring ski. I do laugh when people say that modern AM skis are too heavy for touring. I have a pair of B2 Bandits which were toured for years, and they are heavier than the Sins. Float is great, in Europe they're very much considered a powder ski, but they can handle anything.

Yes, touring bindings will handle whatever you throw at them. Generally if you get bindings designed for a particular width of ski, they'll handle whatever that ski is likely to do.

The reason I found this thread is because I'm converting my Sins to touring for this season.
  • Frats
    Expert
    Frats op 8 August 2018 · 16:12
    perfect crossover ski to try out touring

just contemplate what binding/boot you want to use on it, so many possibilities in the current market...

Personally i'd go for an elan adrenalin binding if you plan on using regular alpine boots. This is a heavy setup but will ski as well as regular bindings.

Or go for a lighter crossover tech binding with the all new Atomic/Salomon shift binding that comes out this season. You have the weight and performance of a fixed binding but still the possibility to tour it as a pin binding but without the added weight of a frame binding.
    A real game changer imho! I tested it for a month in Norway and i'm sold!
  • Frats
    Expert
    Frats op 8 August 2018 · 16:16
    *you will however need tech boots for the shift, so thats a boot with the dynafit inserts.

Current market has plenty of full performance freeride boots with the inserts, so no need to sacrifice performance on pin-boots...
    ie. tecnica cochise, salomon QST, atomic hawx ultra xtd, dalbello lupo, lange XT freetour, etc.
  • HP
    HP op 8 August 2018 · 16:47
    It is possible to put tour bindings on almost any kind of skis...

But the heaviest the ski are (including the bindings and boots you use), the lesser sense it makes. Some of my friends have put tour binding on Mantra skis (that should weight about the same) and are quite happy about that. It is fine to reach a nearby slope, but will be exhausting if you want to do some serious climb up.

HP

You need to be logged in to post a comment in this topic. Login or create an account.

Upgrade to wepowder Pro

• Extended 14 day forecast
  • Slope angle and exposition terrain layers
  • Inspirational freeride routes
wePowder Pro