Snowfall in the PNW

By Arjen on 6 November 2017 · 42

Mount Bachelor
Mount Bachelor

The Alps aren't the only mountain region getting hammered at the moment. They can't really complain in the Pacific Northwest either. The ski resorts in the US states Oregon and Washington have a great start of the season!

Mount Bachelor

Summit at Snoqualmie

Stevens Pass

Comments

• Chester_Tartsnatcher
    Expert
    Chester_Tartsnatcher op 6 November 2017 · 15:38
    Hey, thanks for the PNW love.

We are easily the most overlooked ski zone in the world for top quality snow and steep skiing. Check out Mt. Baker, Alpental, Stevens Pass and Crystal Mountain!

Chinook Pass closed for the season yesterday, so the lifts should start spinning soon!
  • mhilberts
    Beginner
    mhilberts op 7 November 2017 · 16:35
    Hey Cool to hear PNW comments on wepowder. Looks like we are off to a good start. More storms coming our way soon. I agree with Chester on this region not getting nearly as much attention as it deserves. I moved a year ago from NL but have had more powder days in alpental than I had in Europe in 5 years.
    But then again, maybe we should just keep it quiet and have Utah and WY get all the focus.
  • meteomorris
    Expert
    meteomorris op 7 November 2017 · 16:55
    @mhilberts @Chester_Tartsnatcher we love the PNW. NOAA announced a new La Niña episode for this winter, so it could be really deep again. Keep us posted!
    May the powder be with you.
  • Chester_Tartsnatcher
    Expert
    Chester_Tartsnatcher op 8 November 2017 · 15:53
    mhilberts - come on up to lot4 @ Alpental where the miscreants lurk. I'm the guy in the tall grayish toque.

Currently still dumping, Crustal to open Friday.
  • Chester_Tartsnatcher
    Expert
    Chester_Tartsnatcher op 8 November 2017 · 15:54
    And yeah @meteomorris, a weak La Nina coupled with the negative slope PDO has had great effects before in the PNW, see the winter of 71-72!
  • Chester_Tartsnatcher
    Expert
    Chester_Tartsnatcher op 10 November 2017 · 04:39
    Crustal failed to get the 12 inches needed to spin the lifts for Friday. If the forecast prevails, there's a fine rack of snow coming in next week.
  • mhilberts
    Beginner
    mhilberts op 10 November 2017 · 16:22
    @Chester_Tartsnatcher looks like we just missed out a couple of inches. But if this chart really happens we get a lot of precip in the next 10 days. 5-10" of water ? If temperatures stay low enough, which it looks like it will, that'll be 50"-100"(125-250cm), which is enough to burry either a mini or a hummer in snow. NICE, bring it on!
  • Chester_Tartsnatcher
    Expert
    Chester_Tartsnatcher op 10 November 2017 · 20:09
    Yeah, a nice little fall storm for the PNW, huh?
  • Chester_Tartsnatcher
    Expert
    Chester_Tartsnatcher op 12 November 2017 · 03:32
    w0000t for Wednesday:

*message edited by Chester_Tartsnatcher op 12 Nov 2017 03:45 (4% bewerkt)
  • Chester_Tartsnatcher
    Expert
  • mhilberts
    Beginner
    mhilberts op 14 November 2017 · 04:53
    We have liftoff here in the PNW. I suggest we call it PNWPA#1?
    I have been eating a lot of this pasta
    and it really helps!
    Even though no resort is open yet I feel it’s time to issue PNWPA#1.
  • meteomorris
    Expert
    meteomorris op 14 November 2017 · 13:27
    @mhilberts, POWpasta... where did you found this?
  • mhilberts
    Beginner
    mhilberts op 14 November 2017 · 15:55
    @meteomorris found the pasta in the QFC (local supermarket).Tastes like ahit by the way....but everything for the cause!
    Mt Baker is opening this Thursday and Crystal is opening 3 lifts wednesday and more most likely this weekend.
    Season 17-18 is open!
    *message edited by mhilberts op 14 Nov 2017 15:57 (7% bewerkt)
  • Chester_Tartsnatcher
    Expert
    Chester_Tartsnatcher op 14 November 2017 · 19:22
    We lost power up here on Union Hill in last nights windstorm which knocked down trees and power poles and lines. Evidently the wind scoured the upper mountain at Crystal, so the opening is only for the lower mountain. I'm going anyway and will likely skin up to some wind protected stashes up there I know.

Crystal Mountain has a lot of great touring.
    *message edited by Chester_Tartsnatcher op 14 Nov 2017 19:24 (7% bewerkt)
  • mhilberts
    Beginner
    mhilberts op 16 November 2017 · 04:23
    Stevens Pass will open tomorrow Nov 16 Bachelor and Hood to open this weekend.
    Alpental is trailing a bit but it shouldn't be long before most PNW resorts are open.

Whistler will open this Friday with impressive stats:

RECENT SNOWFALL Whistler
    Snow depths measured at Pig Alley Weather Station 1650m (Mid-Mountain) on Whistler Mountain. Snowphone: 604.932.4211
    38cm-last 12hr
    86cm -last 24hr
    117cm-last 48hr
    171cm-last 7 Day
    198cm Base
    202cm Cumulative this season

And more snow in the forecast. Thanksgiving in Whistler!
    @Chester_Tartsnatcher How was Crystal? Planning to go Saturday with the kids.
  • Chester_Tartsnatcher
    Expert
    Chester_Tartsnatcher op 16 November 2017 · 04:33
    @mhilberts - Familial temporal reallocation obfuscated the Crustal option today and that event has been rescheduled for tomorrow. It's forecast to be colder.

David Hilbert was a famous mathematician expounding the axiomatic view.
  • Chester_Tartsnatcher
    Expert
    Chester_Tartsnatcher op 17 November 2017 · 01:06
    Taking extreme traverses on the second open day up @ Crustal today lead to some choice crotch deep fluffy untracked pow. The groimers skied well with good cut up snow on the edges. Great start to the season!
  • Chester_Tartsnatcher
    Expert
    Chester_Tartsnatcher op 19 November 2017 · 04:04
    Day 3 @ Crustal with my son: chunder to chalk, good groimers, surprisingly good coverage. Definitely getting beaten in compared to the previous 2 days and with a biblical deluge in the forecast, I'm worried that the base will get washed away. Chair 6 opened to the mobs, but I skipped it to ski around with my son and avoid the multishark edge and base grind for free up there.
    *message edited by Chester_Tartsnatcher op 19 Nov 2017 04:06
  • Chester_Tartsnatcher
    Expert
    Chester_Tartsnatcher op 20 November 2017 · 17:52
    After 8 inches of overnight snow at 4500 feet elevation and 10+ inches of new snow at 6000 feet elevation, the forecast turns to a Pineapple Express. The Pineapple Express name derives from the direction of these warm moist atmospheric rivers that cross over Hawaii on their way to sloshing our snowpack.
    We are keeping our hopes up that this one, which is forecast to run though Wednesday, won't wash away the wonderful early season snowpack we've been enjoying.
  • mhilberts
    Beginner
    mhilberts op 20 November 2017 · 19:45
    @Meteomorris you should do a special on an Atmospheric Rivers sometime (if you are bored) Its not a phenomena that I ever heard about in Europe but it does produce a shitload of precip in a short amount of time and really dwarfs a retour d'est in potential imho.
    @Chester_Tartsnatcher Crystal was great this Saturday. Its tough to beat a handful of faceshots on the opening day of the season! Did the same as you and did a trip with my son mostly on the northside. I agree on the mob@ chair 6 skipped that one until the PM but the ridge cover was nasty.
    Looks like it is all snow so far rather than rain, but it'll be ungly in the next day or two.
    Going to Whistler this Thursday, just hope that the freezing level will be OK....but not so convinced.
  • Chester_Tartsnatcher
    Expert
    Chester_Tartsnatcher op 20 November 2017 · 23:46
    @MeteomorrisGoing to Whistler this Thursday, just hope that the freezing level will be OK.
    pssst:[size=2]Whitewater and Red are way more fun[/size]
  • Chester_Tartsnatcher
    Expert
    Chester_Tartsnatcher op 23 November 2017 · 16:36
    Record warm temperatures in the PNW (66F in Olympia) coupled with massive rainfall have washed out the good snow - Crustal is running limited on paths of slush between the mud. There is some chance for a bit of snow in the next 4 days but not enough to fix things. The longer term forecast shows snow next week so there's hope.
  • meteomorris
    Expert
    meteomorris op 23 November 2017 · 17:02
    Record warm temperatures in the PNW (66F in Olympia) coupled with massive rainfall have washed out the good snow - Crustal is running limited on paths of slush between the mud. There is some chance for a bit of snow in the next 4 days but not enough to fix things. The longer term forecast shows snow next week so there's hope.Chester_Tartsnatcher op 23 Nov 2017 16:36

Yeah, have been following the news lately. Even interior regions are suffering. Saw the freezing level going up to 2000 meters in Canada...
  • Chester_Tartsnatcher
    Expert
    Chester_Tartsnatcher op 23 November 2017 · 21:43
    Bachelor is delaying opening some lifts (Pinemarten) as well and only opening Sunshine Accelerator. There's a flood watch in Western Washington too.

The forecast predicts lowering freezing levels Sunday and snow below base elevations next week.
  • mhilberts
    Beginner
    mhilberts op 26 November 2017 · 02:21
    In whistler now (23/24/25)where conditions are remarkably good considering the Pineapple Express dropped 50mm of rain on the snowpack last Wednesday. There is a solid base above mid station and could even ski down to the valley.
    Even managed to score some knee level powder today but it was mostly crud, concrete and slush....
    Still not complaining. We are off to a go start!
  • mhilberts
    Beginner
    mhilberts op 26 November 2017 · 02:21

*message edited by mhilberts op 26 Nov 2017 02:22 (100% bewerkt)
  • mhilberts
    Beginner
    mhilberts op 30 November 2017 · 22:36
    Were back on with Some fresh pow. Looks like summit west is opening dec 2, so all resorts in the PNW are now whizzing. Just alpental....but that shouldn’t be to long. The atmospheric river last week is a distant memory.....
  • Chester_Tartsnatcher
    Expert
    Chester_Tartsnatcher op 1 December 2017 · 02:43
    Light snow @ Crustal today. Gomering on the groimers since anything steep lost its snowpack, from the Doors to Memorial Forest on the frontside. Best snow quality, cut up pow with 2" of cream, was on the North facing portions of Green Valley. Gotta say the snowmaking snow on the bottom was eminently edgable. Sir Arcs A Lot was out today.
  • Chester_Tartsnatcher
    Expert
    Chester_Tartsnatcher op 3 December 2017 · 22:03
    A big shift is occurring in the PNW and forecast to stay for up to 10 days: high pressure and a drought in Seattle for December!

See : http://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2017/12/the-upcoming-december-drought-in... .

Bummer for us, let it snow in Yurp.
    *message edited by Chester_Tartsnatcher op 3 Dec 2017 22:04 (2% bewerkt)

You need to be logged in to post a comment in this topic. Login or create an account.

Upgrade to wepowder Pro

• Extended 14 day forecast
  • Slope angle and exposition terrain layers
  • Inspirational freeride routes
wePowder Pro