Mild and dry weather after some winter days

Mild and dry weather after some winter days

There’s another storm heading for the Alps, but the sun is still shining right now. Saturday will be a great day, but Sunday will be completely different in the northern Alps with low temperatures, gray skies and lots of fresh snow. The weather will be like that in the beginning of next week, but there’s a change coming up. Dry and mild air is waiting for us… In this forecast:

• Saturday will be a great day
  • Winter will kick in from Sunday
  • Long term: dry and mild

We’ve started something new last week: video forecasts. It’s an experiment and I’m pleased to hear your feedback. I’ll definitely improve my English the next couple of weeks!

Saturday will be a great day

If you want to enjoy low temperatures and fresh snow,you should be in the Alps on Saturday. A number of areas will open its lifts for winter 17-18 for the first time. In addition, there are a number of areas that are only open during the weekends and where nobody has been able to ride after the snowfall on Monday and Tuesday. Fresh untracked snow in combination with relatively low temperatures and sun. It won’t get much better.

But please, ride with care. You’ll almost forget that it’s still only the beginning of the season (especially after the dramatic season starts the last three years). It’s only mid-November and we’ll have to wait till the first of December before the meteorological winter starts.

Storm depression approaching the Alps
Storm depression approaching the Alps

Winter will kick in from Sunday

A cold front with snow deep into the valleys will arrive on Sunday. The sweetspot is the eastern part of the Alps, but if the high-pressure area is slower, Switzerland might get a bit more snow. But our model is fairly steady and has been calculating an incoming high pressure area the last couple of days.

High pressure is coming up
High pressure is coming up

Long term: dry and mild

The high pressure area emerging from the west is the prelude to mild weather without precipitation. The jet stream is pushed to the north and mild air hits the Alps. The big question is: for how long? The models are now showing calculations where we have to get ready for a period without precipitation for weeks. Let’s hope they’re wrong.

Tip: If you want to look into the future, become a wePowder Pro member. You’ll get access to the 14-day forecast and more detailed weather and terrain options. And it works for your karma as well, because you’ll be part of the hundreds of riders who support the development of the wePowder platform.

Stay stoked
Morris

meteomorris

Replies

Tourist
townlemaAuthor17 November 2017 · 20:25

Love the video forecast, big fan, keep them up please.

Beginner
SamsagazAuthor17 November 2017 · 23:22

Your English is as awesome as your videos! How do you expect these upcoming weeks to affect tthe first layer of snow for the rest of the winter?

Advanced
jamesandersonAuthor18 November 2017 · 14:33

Just when I thought this site could not get any better, video forecast awesome.

Advanced
Chester_TartsnatcherAuthor19 November 2017 · 03:32

Well done, very exacting delivery. Your English is better than Trumps.

I dare you to try 2 things:
0) Just a teensy bit more punch, drive, bravado, edge, bite, angle, slash, jokes, bent. Be a bit more daring. You have style down there, use it.\

1. Do one for N. America.
EuroBBI2024 Rueras, CH March 1-9, 2024
Expert
meteomorrisAuthor20 November 2017 · 14:11

@@townlema @@Samsagaz @@jamesanderson @@Chester_Tartsnatcher thanks.

@@Samsagaz it has been dry in the Southern en Western Alps for 14 days now. So you might expect that there is something going on in the snowpack. I do expect sugar snow in some aspects. Especially the spots where the snowpack is thinner. In the Northern Alps the formation of surface hoar is my biggest concern during the upcoming days. But so far the snowpack is way better than the last 3 winters. Hopefully we might see a new storm cycle moving in at the end of the month. I am not that negative at the moment.

@@Chester_Tartsnatcher LOL. Man, I am so far out of my comfort zone right now… hopefully this will get better after a few takes with some more bravado, edge, punch, jokes etc…

powfinder.com
Advanced
Chester_TartsnatcherAuthor20 November 2017 · 17:03

@@meteomorris: I get it, we’re geeks (I used to write C/C++ code for msft ) but not only do we need to sell ourselves but it can be fun.

So, have some fun. You’re obviously very well educated and articulate, so just make it more fun for yourself ! Think of the great turns and ripping times you’ve had when you let yourself go in the snow. Tune into that joy and madness and keep up the vids!

Advanced
Chester_TartsnatcherAuthor20 November 2017 · 17:09

Try this: red wig, wide lapel suitcoat, red tie and season your forecast with Trumpisms, and be sure to give Arjen credit for claiming “Flake News”!
Or do a dowdy Teresa May spoof in drag, complete with grey wig, polka dot dress and lots of Brexit references.

Tourist
AnonymousAuthor21 November 2017 · 04:14

Woah, this is very detailed! thanks!

Never miss a PowderAlert!

Get updates on the latest news, PowderAlerts and more!