Skiis - best compromise

• Philphed
    Tourist
    Philphed op 28 November 2017 · 11:31
    I am looking for new skiis, which could be the best compromise between powder, touring and piste (in that order of priority). I currently have the 2012 Rossignol S7 with touring bindings. The ski is awesome in the powder, but heavy for touring and pretty soft for the piste (maybe also almost too wide under the foot for the slopes).
    Do you have any suggestions, which could be a good compromise to have an all-round ski for the above mentioned terrains?
  • Chester_Tartsnatcher
    Expert
    Chester_Tartsnatcher op 28 November 2017 · 15:09
    DPS makes great skis that are lighter than average. I prefer their Lotus 120 variant, but I ski a lot of fresh snow or cut up snow in the PNW. It does OK on the groomers as long as there is some edge penetration. They are tough to use on big icy moguls.

Another good option is Down Skis, the Countdown 104 or 114 are light and have a great rep.
  • mhilberts
    Beginner
    mhilberts op 28 November 2017 · 18:55
    I have 2 pairs of Downs (and a 3rd on the way) that I am happy with. Pretty light, my guardian bindings are heavier than the ski 😃 They are good at anything as long as it is soft (not so great at holding an edge on ice) Guess it al depends where you ski mostly. But as you ski “piste” my guess is you ski the alps. I thought the S7 had piste down OK-ish even though the shovel flops around all the time, but must admit I never skied them.
    I guess the combination of “light” and “solid” which you seem to want is tough and would push you into the carbon real where DPS/Down and Volkl hang out....or maybe the blizzard Zero G?
    Good luck.

• Chester_Tartsnatcher
    Expert
    Chester_Tartsnatcher op 28 November 2017 · 19:09
    @mhilberts, are you on the TGR DownSkis order? I am.
  • mauriziomutmansino
    mauriziomutmansino op 28 November 2017 · 20:53
    I looked for a ski for off Piste, Slopes and short touring (I have already a light touring ski for strenous tours) and a professional mountain guide recommended the Fischer Ranger 90 ti to me. But for long touring it is too heavy.
    Here you can read a test:
    http://skicanadamag.com/mountain-test-2017/

*message edited by mauriziomutmansino op 28 Nov 2017 21:15 (19% bewerkt)
  • Arjen
    Advanced
    Arjen op 28 November 2017 · 22:11
    I like the MTN LAB from Salomon. Great ski for both uphill and downhill.
    One day, they'll invent synthetic powder, ban all kinds of work and give you a free liftpass...

You need to be logged in to post a comment in this topic. Login or create an account.

Upgrade to wepowder Pro

• Extended 14 day forecast
  • Slope angle and exposition terrain layers
  • Inspirational freeride routes
wePowder Pro