Why does this area seem to receive less snow according to the forecast?

• MaxGroppfeldt
    Advanced
    MaxGroppfeldt op 5 December 2017 · 18:00

I'm just a little curious why the forecast seem to expect less snowfall in this region? I'm not specifically talking about this forecast. I've noticed that this is the usual case over many years here on wepowder. It doesn't seem to matter if it is a NW Stau, N Stau or NE Stau. Neither the main focus area of the low pressure to hit the alps.

Glaciers such as Hintertux, Stubai, and Sölden are located in this area and it is along the line of the main alpine ridge. I don't see the mountains to the north as a lot higher than other regions?

I'm I missing something that causes this microclimate in this region?
  • meteomorris
    Expert
    meteomorris op 6 December 2017 · 10:36
    @MaxGroppfeldt, Good question. Francesco. A. Isotta et al. did some extensive research on this topic (http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/joc.3794/abstract...) and I wrote an article about it two years ago: http://wepowder.com/en/forum/topic/212343

Below a map with the average yearly precipitation:

A a map with the actual snowpack in Austria:

The glaciers of the Kaunertal, Pitztal, Stubai, Sölden and Hintertux are in a so called inner alpine region. They get less precipitation since they are laying deep in the Alps and most of the clouds are blocked by mountain ranges to the north and northwest. When you draw a line from the Piz Buin towards the Kleinwalsertal you can see the ridge which is blocking a lot of snow from the NW. The same applies for the North where the Zugspitze and the Nordkette are blocking the clouds from moving in. A NE stau is a rarity and something we don't see that much since storms have the tendency to track from west to east.

Does this help?

May the powder be with you.
  • MaxGroppfeldt
    Advanced
    MaxGroppfeldt op 9 December 2017 · 08:40
    Thank you for a very thorough and thoughtful response. You pointed out exactly what I didn't want to hear. I suspected that Nordkette and Zugspitze could be the antagonists in this case.

I always go to Zillertal because of free accommodation benefits but I've been grinding my teeth for so many years comparing powder depth with the surrounding areas from these maps.

• meteomorris
    Expert
    meteomorris op 9 December 2017 · 21:22
    @MaxGroppfeldt Zillertal (especially Hintertux) is at its best during pre season and spring. This applies for most of the glaciers in the Alps.
  • elecas
    Advanced
    elecas op 11 December 2017 · 16:28
    @meteomorris that map with the actual snowpack where did you check it?
    In the web, before the update we used to have such a map with the snow cover, will it return?
    Thanks!
    www.elecas.es
  • meteomorris
    Expert
    meteomorris op 11 December 2017 · 16:41
    @elecas, here you go: http://www.zamg.ac.at/incaanalyse/ (click on gesamtschnee)

• elecas
    Advanced
    elecas op 21 December 2017 · 19:36
    Hi @meteomorris since I read this I have been checking the forescast and comparing them with the live weather in Innsbruck. I think that in general, in this area snows more that the model says. One example it is now, according to the forecast in Hungerburg (the botton of nordkette) it is not going to snow, but in fact it is snowing in Innsbruck (300m altitud lower) since 1 hour. Last Tuesday night was the same, the model didn't said anathing about snow and on wenesday morning the city had 5cm of new snow in the cars and I was in Patscherkofel at 1200m at 11pm and it was dumping.
    I don't want to critize your model or the web with that, especially because I have no idea about meteorology, indeed I am a big fan of this web and use it a lot. I just wanted to give you this information in case it can be helpfull for you,
    Lucas
    www.elecas.es
  • meteomorris
    Expert
    meteomorris op 22 December 2017 · 00:28
    @elecas, Thanks. Local influencers are pretty complex for the models. Especially with warmer air moving in and cold air that has sunk to the valley floor. Last Tuesday was the same. All models have this problem.

You need to be logged in to post a comment in this topic. Login or create an account.

Upgrade to wepowder Pro

• Extended 14 day forecast
  • Slope angle and exposition terrain layers
  • Inspirational freeride routes
wePowder Pro