Engelberg snow conditions

• axelandersson
    Tourist
    axelandersson op 7 January 2018 · 18:10
    Hi WePowder!

I just returned to Sweden after a week in the Austrian Alps containing everything from snow and wind to rain and warm temperatures. I have a trip booked to Engelberg the 16/1 to 21/1 and looking at webcams I get a little concerned about the snow conditions. How is the backcountry in Engelberg right now? I understand that it is not blower powder but is there any fun to be had? What do you guys reckon about the massive snowfall that is about to hit the western Alps, will Engelberg get a taste from that too? Also, if there is anyone about that knows the area and wants to show us around in exchange for a few beers we would be grateful!

Thank you very much in advance,
    Axel Andersson
    *message edited by axelandersson op 7 Jan 2018 18:17
  • Chester_Tartsnatcher
    Expert
    Chester_Tartsnatcher op 7 January 2018 · 18:24
    I'll be there during the interval 19/1-22/1.

The reports I got is that there's some nasty ice after rain up to 2300 meters. I'm concerned about stability with crust like that. But there's always some fun to be had @ Engelberg.

In my few days there, I found the Jochpass area to be a little better in bad weather or poor visibility.

• meteomorris
    Expert
    meteomorris op 8 January 2018 · 08:06
    @axelandersson long term forecast is looking promising. It's not guaranteed but it will give you some hope.
    May the powder be with you.
  • NicZH
    NicZH op 11 January 2018 · 19:52
    Hi Axel

Last sunday it was not great for freeride because of the strong wind. Unfortunately the massive snowfall didn't hit engelberg. However the slopes are still powder above 2000m and we had 20cm fresh snow beginning of this week. For the forecast Morris said everything
  • meteomorris
    Expert
    meteomorris op 12 January 2018 · 15:03
    @axelandersson forecast is looking good. A new storm is developing and it looks like it may hit Engelberg next week.
    May the powder be with you.

You need to be logged in to post a comment in this topic. Login or create an account.

Upgrade to wepowder Pro

• Extended 14 day forecast
  • Slope angle and exposition terrain layers
  • Inspirational freeride routes
wePowder Pro