BACKCOUNTRY JAPAN ADVICE PLEASE

• BLC1982
    BLC1982 op 8 January 2018 · 07:17
    Hi there,

Anyone got any advice on the best back country in Japan?

My brother (skier) and I (Snowboarder) are looking at 5 days in Japan at the end of Feb - i think we would need two days to get our ski legs back so happy to cruise piste and side country but the last three days we're keen to hire a guide and push ourselves.

We're not that bothered about nightlife. Ideally would like somewhere traditional with access to great terrain. If there's a heli or cat option, even better.

Can anyone recommend the best places to start researching? Anyone booked through a guided tour company? Need advice on accommodation also. There's quite a bit of info out there and i'm a bit lost at present.

BTW: We're both confident, intermediate riders - mostly have ridden in Austria/France.

Thanks in advance 😃
  • JanisKTM
    Advanced
    JanisKTM op 10 January 2018 · 03:40
    Hey,

I live in Tokyo since almost 2 years and the main question is North or main Island.
    North (Hokkaido): Stay in Furano and then doing backcountry tours to asahidake or tokaichi. Less crowded than Niseko and much more traditional and dryer snow.
    Main (Honshu): Hakuba or Myoko (amazing resorts with great slack/backcountry) Myoko is more traditional.

If you need more just hit me up

Would love to show you guys some places but broke my ankle on the first skitrip in NOV.

Cheers
    Janis
  • RidetheGlobe
    RidetheGlobe op 17 January 2018 · 17:24
    I will be based and guiding in Hakuba till the end of Feb. Send me a mail and I'll get back to you with some info's! Cheers, Robi

You need to be logged in to post a comment in this topic. Login or create an account.

Upgrade to wepowder Pro

• Extended 14 day forecast
  • Slope angle and exposition terrain layers
  • Inspirational freeride routes
wePowder Pro