Touring Gear

• mmp3
    Advanced
    mmp3 op 26 January 2018 · 18:45
    Hi,
    I've got a few pairs of skis (who hasn't!!) for different days... But I really want to get more into touring, not just to find powder... but I mean to basically walk(run) up as fast as I can to top of a piste.... for cycle fitness in the nice spring weather. I currently have a set of Salomon Quest skis with a set of Guardian bindings on them... and they are great.. but not for alot of hiking... or not what i am trying to do... as way too heavy...(I have Quest boots too)
    I see Salomon have MTN explore 88's and wondered if anyone has tried them?? I'm thinking of Plum Yak M-14 bindings... I'm just wanting to ge treally into this for end of season to keep my cycle fitness up... and for when the weather is terrible (like last weekend) and lifts were almost all but closed but i could still have done a wee trek up the side of a lower piste...to keep my daily fitness going.... U know what i mean...
    Any help would be appreciated... I love my Quest skis and Guardians.. but really only for a trek after as far as u can get with a lift..... but heavy for what I'm trying to get into......
    cheers
    Martin (mmp3)
  • AdamStekl
    Advanced
    AdamStekl op 27 January 2018 · 20:38
    Hi Martin,
    Sorry for not responding directly on your topic, but regarding binding, I have done approx. 20 days on marker kingpin and I think it is the best touring binding on the market.
    Adam
  • mmp3
    Advanced
    mmp3 op 28 January 2018 · 13:03
    thanks Adam, they look good, but they all look good... as ever, so much to choose from. I've got to decide if I just want this set up to be solely for going up as fast as i can.. which is what I think I require...as i have so many other skis for all other occassions...Like I said, I already have a set of Guardians on Quest skis.. which are way too heavy a set up for what i'm looing for... but perfect for little tours from top of lifts...
    Just soooo much to choose from!!! lol
  • ALC
    Advanced
    ALC op 28 January 2018 · 20:46
    Hi Martin, it all depends on weight of you your gear and your technique, if you want something more crossover go with the marker or the fritschi equivalent, they're excellent with greater elasticity for rough icy pistes (eliminating the need to lock out the toe) If your dedicated to being a purist. Go with old skool, low tech bindings like dynafit speed radicals or plum guides super simple and efficient but with some penalties. I use the plums for everyhibg on 122 waisted 4frnt renegades (fairly stiff pow skis) (with a boot calon/tower)and they are pretty reliable without(too many) random pre releasing, which I have had with softer skis. In terms of full lw skimo gear, someone else will need to chime in. But getting the right personal setup requires some trialling if what's available so you feel comfortable with the entire system. There is more and more great kit making choice more difficult. Hope that helps. Best wishes, Alasdair
  • EddeBruin
    Tourist
    EddeBruin op 29 January 2018 · 17:26
    Hi,
    I've got a few pairs of skis (who hasn't!!) for different days... But I really want to get more into touring, not just to find powder... but I mean to basically walk(run) up as fast as I can to top of a piste.... for cycle fitness in the nice spring weather. I currently have a set of Salomon Quest skis with a set of Guardian bindings on them... and they are great.. but not for alot of hiking... or not what i am trying to do... as way too heavy...(I have Quest boots too)
    I see Salomon have MTN explore 88's and wondered if anyone has tried them?? I'm thinking of Plum Yak M-14 bindings... I'm just wanting to ge treally into this for end of season to keep my cycle fitness up... and for when the weather is terrible (like last weekend) and lifts were almost all but closed but i could still have done a wee trek up the side of a lower piste...to keep my daily fitness going.... U know what i mean...
    Any help would be appreciated... I love my Quest skis and Guardians.. but really only for a trek after as far as u can get with a lift..... but heavy for what I'm trying to get into......
    cheers
    Martin (mmp3)mmp3 op 26 Jan 2018 18:45

Check out ski trab and atk, www.skitrab.com, https://www.atkbindings.com/en/products-bindings/

These crazy runners in our resort use the stuff all the time. They (literally) run past by me when I crawl up the slope on my Scottybobs + Black Diamond O1 Telemark/Touring gear. You won't believe their speed.
    klimgeyt@gmail.com
  • mmp3
    Advanced
    mmp3 op 31 January 2018 · 11:44
    thanks all..... yes... so much to choose from and wanna get it right for what I need..... I'm meeting up with a mountain guide m8 of mine in 2 weeks time and he's gonna let me try a few different set ups....
  • mmp3
    Advanced
    mmp3 op 13 February 2018 · 15:20
    Update :-
    For the boots... I went with Salomon's X-Alp Explore (love em!)
    And for the skis/bindings... I opted for a set of Salomon MTN explore 88's with Diamir Vipec Evo 12's to start with..... to see how I get on... my m8 told me I should've went 80mm max on width of ski..... but I still wanna have a little fun on the descents! If I find them too heavy i'll change for next season... Heading to Bourg St Maurice at weekend... looks a good week to go touring next week....

You need to be logged in to post a comment in this topic. Login or create an account.

Upgrade to wepowder Pro

• Extended 14 day forecast
  • Slope angle and exposition terrain layers
  • Inspirational freeride routes
wePowder Pro