Geneva - Andermatt

• mmp3
    Advanced
    mmp3 op 13 November 2018 · 12:32
    Hi all,
    I'm looking for a bit of advice, I fly into Geneva on 8th January on an early flight. I am meeting up with friends in Andermatt in the evening after 8pm. So, I was trying to find a nice resort that would be en-route from Geneva to Andermatt where I could drive to and get the afternoon skiing prior to getitng to Andermatt? I think the drive to Andermatt from Geneva is approx. 3.5 hours.. so I reckon I'd be pushing it to drive there and get value, Obviously, not accounting for any hold ups.. althought at that time of year, should be quietest... I have never skiied in Swizerland apart from touring over from Morzine etc... I was contemplating just driving to one of the French resorts within an hours drive to Geneva.. but that doesn't work for apres when I need to get to Andermatt... as I'd just be adding and hour to my journey? Any reccomendations? I like nice quiet resorts.. preferably treeline.... but any suggestions welcome...
    *message edited by mmp3 op 13 Nov 2018 12:38
  • NicZH
    NicZH op 14 November 2018 · 20:50
    humm, challenging mate! my suggestion is to hold your horses and release the kraken in Andermatt. Otherwise at 2h45 en-route from Ginebra to Andermatt there are Sorenberg and Hasliberg resorts but not familiar of it. After nearby Andermatt there is Engelberg but it is a bit pointless.
  • mmp3
    Advanced
    mmp3 op 14 November 2018 · 20:55
    yeah.... cheers man... I think I'm either gonna head up to Morzine area for rest of arrival day... or just tottle over to Andermatt and get myself ready.....I'll wait and see what conditions are like nearer time.... I noted there was a tiny 4 lifts resort 1 hour along the road from Geneva... but looks like a couple of fields....
    cheers anyways...
  • NicZH
    NicZH op 14 November 2018 · 22:19
    yeah...around Morzine there are Flaine or Chamonix. Keep in mind from Morzine to Andermatt you will have to put your car on a train for a few kilometers and it costs 30 francs if i remember well...
  • meteomorris
    Expert
    meteomorris op 15 November 2018 · 07:27
    @mmps3 You can also go to Valais/Wallis and take the autotrain to Andermatt. This option gives you the possibility to drive up to Morgins or Chatel.
    May the powder be with you.
  • mmp3
    Advanced
    mmp3 op 15 November 2018 · 08:56
    Hey Morris, thanks for that... I know Chatel&Morgins areas very well... so that would be my choice for a few hours, but I have no idea of driving in Swizerland other than coming from French resorts to Geneva.... I am looking online for car train from Valais/Wallis... So, I can just keep driving along that road from Chatel-Morgins and keep on going to Valais/Morgins? Approx. 1 hour 10 mins from Chatel...then from what I can see, take the car on the car train to Andermatt, and it seems the trains run ever 1/2 hour up until 9pm ish? Do you have a website that I could get details? Thanks
  • NicZH
    NicZH op 15 November 2018 · 12:45
    Furka pass tickets
  • NicZH
    NicZH op 15 November 2018 · 12:46
    You can buy it online in advance
  • Chester_Tartsnatcher
    Expert
    Chester_Tartsnatcher op 15 November 2018 · 16:12
    St. Luc/Chandolin should check the boxes.
  • EmileHendrix
    Advanced
    EmileHendrix op 15 November 2018 · 17:05
    @mmp3 :
    https://www.matterhorngotthardbahn.ch/en/winter/journey/car-transport/...
    Dependent on how much time you have/how nice and quiet you like your resorts/the weather/etc....
    ...I'd put some small areas such as Bellwald/(Rothwald/Leukerbad-Torrentalp)/etc. on my shortlist.
    Een kleine fantasie kan groter zijn dan de wereld.
  • mmp3
    Advanced
    mmp3 op 15 November 2018 · 17:11
    Thanks All...... Much appreciated
  • Jules0035
    Jules0035 op 21 November 2018 · 14:42
    Hey, there is a nice ski resort on the way to Andermatt called Aletscharena , it's located pretty high and the conditions there concerning on the slopes and off the slopes are nearly always perfect.From that ski resort you can keep driving in the valley and take your car on the train to Andermatt. I'd say it's about 1 hour away from Andermatt.

You need to be logged in to post a comment in this topic. Login or create an account.

Upgrade to wepowder Pro

• Extended 14 day forecast
  • Slope angle and exposition terrain layers
  • Inspirational freeride routes
wePowder Pro