Southside or northside over year end hols?

• stauchaser
    Advanced
    stauchaser op 2 September 2019 · 09:37
    Taking the family to the Alps for Christmas holidays - I'm not booking accommodation yet, but I'm booking flights and the car in advance. We'll drive where the snow is (instead of booking everything now only to find snowless mountains in December).
    So, looking to hear your viewpoints on pros/cons whether to fly to Milan or to Zurich? The idea is to have the most options with snow within reasonable (say 4 hour) driving distance. We're not too picky on what kind of resort it should be either - anything goes. (Obviously no one knows where the snow is going to be; I'd venture a guess that north side is likelier to have snow at that time - don't know if that's supported by the actual statistics).

Thoughts?
  • meteomorris
    Expert
    meteomorris op 4 September 2019 · 18:52
    @stauchaser, good question. Christmas is always a bit of a gamble.

With a 4 hour drive from Zurich there is a lot of space to cover. From the Arlberg in the east, Verbier in the west, St. Moritz in the south east and Andermatt and Engelberg just around the corner. Just to mention a few. Even Cham and Courmayeur do fit in the 4 hour max. The good thing about flying to Zurich is that you will have a rental car with winter tires.

When flying to Milan you will have easier access to the Monte Rosa and the Piemonte compared to Zurich but from experience I know it is really hard to get your hands on a rental car with winter tires.

Does this help?
    May the powder be with you.
  • stauchaser
    Advanced
    stauchaser op 11 September 2019 · 10:04
    Thanks @meteomorris, this helped me clear my views. I suppose pretty much all of Switzerland is also within range from Milan, so I guess the defining choice is between the southwest (larch trees & low priced espresso) and western Austria (wienerschnitzel). Which makes me think there's actually more optionality on the south side. It's true that one has to work a bit more to secure a car w/ winter tyres in Milan - and the rental companies are more likely to slap on made up extra costs in Milan than in Zurich in my experience.
  • meteomorris
    Expert
    meteomorris op 11 September 2019 · 16:22
    @stauchaser: from Zurich to Sestriere is 5 hours +. But when you do a stop in Airolo on your way south and shred the gnar for a day on their home mountain than it is less than a 4 hour drive 😉
    *message edited by meteomorris op 11 Sep 2019 16:22
    May the powder be with you.

You need to be logged in to post a comment in this topic. Login or create an account.

Upgrade to wepowder Pro

• Extended 14 day forecast
  • Slope angle and exposition terrain layers
  • Inspirational freeride routes
wePowder Pro