Powder day in the east, high pressure dominant

Powder day in the east, high pressure dominant

Yesterday was a powder day in the resorts that I mentioned in my previous post. On average 5-25 cm of fresh snow fell, with up to 50 cm in the northern Alps of Salzburg and Styria. The upcoming week we see a mix of clouds and sun. There is no significant snow in the forecast so you might not expect a powder alert in the next 7-10 days. Unless the tuiny storm that moves in on Friday decides to come with a surprise. In this article:

• Powder day in the east
  • High pressure dominant
  • Jetstream far North
  • Some non significant snow on Tuesday and Friday-Saturday

Powder Day in the East

Sunday and today are powder days in the resorts that I mentioned my previous post. Since Saturday, 5-50 cm of fresh snow fell. The snow line was pretty high at first and around 1200 meters, but dropped steadily deep into the valleys on Sunday. This snow was needed and in some place you could ride bottomless powder. But old snow layers, crusty layers and the wind created tricky conditions. Nevertheless, conditions are good enough to ride some nice powder in the East. Especially when you consider that there is not much fresh snow in the forecast for the coming period.

High pressure dominant

The weather chart above says it all. High pressure above central and southern Europe. Storm depressions therefore need to tracj towards Scandinavia where storm after storm passes. The jet stream that marks the boundary between cold polar air from the north and warm subtropical air from the south is too far North in the coming period (see also [this animation](https://www.netweather.tv/charts-and-data/ jetstream)) and keeping storms far away from the Alps.

Some dustings of snow on Tuesday and Friday-Saturday

On Tuesday a very weak front touches the north side of the Alps with some flurries for the North. You may expect a bit more snow from the tiny storm that will move in on Friday-Saturday. But according to current calculations, this tiny storm quickly loses power among the giants of high-pressure areas. That’s a shame, because it’s the only hope for some significant snow in the coming week. Now we get no further than 2-10 cm of fresh snow for the pre alps of the western and northern Alps.

Upcoming days: touring in the west, some powder in the east

Who wants to ride powder the upcoming days has two choices:

• skitouring and splitboarding in the western Alps
  • fresh snow the northeast, think of areas such as Tauplitz, Planneralm, Fieberbrunn and Zauchensee.

Stay stoked
Morris

meteomorris
Never miss a PowderAlert!

Get updates on the latest news, PowderAlerts and more!