A dusting of snow after rain

A dusting of snow after rain

Last weekend was fantastic, on Tuesday it was deep and then the announced rain followed. In the night to Wednesday it rained locally up to 2200 meters and sometimes even higher. After the rain, the rapid warming and high humidity ensured that the snow cover became damp to a height of 2500 meters. It did not rain on the southern side of the Alps, but Corona has now curtailed public life there. There will be a light refreshment for the Alps on Friday, but whether this is enough? In this post:

• rain up to the higher Alpine
  • Thursday very mild
  • a new front from Thursday to Friday
  • a sunny weekend
  • next week: no significant snow

Rain up to the higher Alpine

Sometimes I want my prediction to be wrong. I already announced the rapidly warming in my weather report last Friday. But if you are suddenly in the rain on a Tuesday evening after a deep Tuesday, then that is a big disappointment. And that while Tuesday was so wonderfully deep.

Wednesday was a day of taking stock. Everywhere (wet) avalanches raged down and we had to pay attention. In the meantime I found some nice lines together with Erik. Erik from the mepowderproject is busy with his film and so we shot some nice pictures in some wet powder.

Thursday very mild

Thursday is very mild with a zero degree level around 3000 meters. Later in the day, a front from the northwest moves into the Alps with a refresh for the northwest of the Alps.

In the afternoon the first precipitation falls in the Jura and in the evening it spreads to the northwest of the Alps. The snow line that is first around 2200 meters then drops rapidly to 1200 meters. In the night to Friday it snows. Most snow is expected in the French Northern Alps where locally 15-30 cm can fall fresh above 2000 meters. Just enough for a powder day on Friday.

A sunny weekend

On Saturday we see a mix of clouds and sun and especially on the southern side of the Alps some snow can fall. Sunday will be very sunny and there will be no snow in the barrel for the coming week either.

Where to go?

There is no significant snow in the forecast for next week.

• Friday: a powder day in the French Northern Alps. Especially above 2000 meters it will be fine. The wind will create some storm slabs so be alert.
  • Saturday: you can still find some fresh in the French Northern Alps
  • Sunday: time to go out on your tourskis or splitboards

New update at the end of the weekend.

Your powfinder Morris

meteomorris

Replies

Advanced
ShreddermaxAuthor12 March 2020 · 20:58
Tourist
nealfenwickAuthor13 March 2020 · 07:50

All of Austria is

Expert
chriscarberryAuthor14 March 2020 · 08:18

All of Switzerland now too

Expert
meteomorrisAuthor14 March 2020 · 09:17

It’s better to limit your traveling the next few weeks to slow down the exponential spread of the virus at the moment.

https://wepowder.com/en/forum/topic/275880

I will update my forecast for locals regularly the upcoming weeks.

Stay strong and healthy, stay stoked!

powfinder.com
Never miss a PowderAlert!

Get updates on the latest news, PowderAlerts and more!