Wintry conditions in April

Wintry conditions in April
Wintry conditions at the Körbersee in Warth-Schröcken (foto-webcam.eu)
Wintry conditions at the Körbersee in Warth-Schröcken (foto-webcam.eu)

You would hardly say it is April when you see the webcam images in the Alps. In large parts of the Alps winter has temporarily returned and in some places it is even white all the way down to the valley. Also here in Innsbruck I woke up with a few centimeters of snow in the early morning, but because the April sun already has so much power this will of course melt away in a fast pace. At least until the weekend the Alps will remain in the cooler air due to a northern flow. The weather will remain changeable, but in the coming days I don’t expect as much snowfall as there has been fallen in recent days.

Winter is back

^The forecasts on wePowder are powdered by our friends at Ortovox

After the snowfall of the past few days with 20 to 40 centimeters on a large scale (and in the Eastern Alps even a bit more), calmness has returned. In the east of Austria it will remain cloudy this morning and it might still snow, but in the rest of the Alps the day will start sunny. The fresh layer of snow in combination with the sun provides dreamy images, so we take a quick webcamtour through the Alps:

A sun-drenched start of the day in Avoriaz (skaping.com)
Further east, some residual clouds can be found, such as here at the Eibsee in Garmisch (foto-webcam.eu)
Even further east it is still snowing, like here in Hinterstoder (feratel.com)
Also on the south side it has cleared up and we can enjoy deep winter pictures, like here in Monte Lussari - Tarvisio (feratel.com)

Persistently changeable weather

The sunny spells today are not long-lasting everywhere, as the northern flow continues to cause snow showers in the Alps. The snow line fluctuates approximately between 500 and 1000 meters. In particular, tomorrow all parts of the Alps may experience snow showers. The heaviest snowfall I expect in the western Southern Alps with 10 to locally even 20 centimeters of snow possible in Piedmont and Lombardy.

A strong northerly flow... (wetter3.de, DWD)
...is causing a cold air outbreak for the Alps (wxcharts.com)

Between pressure systems

After a couple of cool changeable days due to a low-pressure area directly east of the Alps, we enter a kind of meteorological no man’s land during Friday. The low-pressure area continues to move eastward, putting the Alps right in between the various weather systems. As a result, the chances of precipitation fall and the sun can be seen regularly, but clouds will also continue to dominate the weather. After the weekend the chances of precipitation increase again, but where the snowfall will be heaviest is not yet known. The east of Austria has the best chances for now. Temperatures in the Alps are likely to return to normal for the time of year, which means the snow line will rise again and the valleys will return to spring. More details on these developments will follow on Friday in the very last weather forecast of this season.

Gradually rising temperatures in the Alps (wetterzentrale.de)

wePowder guide is here!

Winter is here, but it’s still not sure what this season will look like. It’s always time to start dreaming and preparing. Whatever it will look like, the wePowder Guide is available again. We’ve extended the pre-order price of € 45.00 (excl. shipping) for a while. This thick book of 400+ pages is in stock and will be delivered to you as soon as possible! Thanks for your support!

Henri
knows everything about new ski areas, lifts and projects.

Replies

Tourist
P0WDERP0WERAuthor15 April 2021 · 01:18

https://cdn.wepowder.com/site/forum/15/2d32958567beefe24e23ffc7c29664c3_ccaa33e0_b3a4_41fd_a783_09fc3f4cad7b.jpeg?width=800… did you just say on Friday the very last forecast for this season? 😝
Guys I truly wanna thank you for all the efforts and the enthusiasm you showed again this year. I can imagine how tough it was sitting locked down in the Netherlands, sharing forecasts of perfect storms. I’d like to give you cudos and a big shout out for your work.
Of course I am an extreme winter weather enthusiast so I take my info from many many sources but you guys have contributed to so many great days on snow.
THANK YOU and see you again ✌️
Lorenz

Beginner
HenriAuthor16 April 2021 · 14:18

Thanks @P0WDERP0WER!!

Never miss a PowderAlert!

Get updates on the latest news, PowderAlerts and more!