Austria , Powder and ski Touring Suggestions

• iliaswhite
    Advanced
    iliaswhite op 20 November 2022 · 21:21
    So , as every year i am visiting with my friends Austria for skiing. The last 10 years we have been visitig Arlberg which has been something more than great, This year we are considering visiting a new place and i need suggestions. I consider us advanced skiers we travel usually to Austria for seven days and we ski with the a guide 4 days. If there is snow we prefer little ski tours to get as much pow as possible if there are several days without snowfall we tour more to find the best conditions possible. We will be visiting in February. Could you please make your suggestions (except Arlberg) for a nice powder trip with ski guiding?
  • Chester_Tartsnatcher
    Expert
    Chester_Tartsnatcher op 21 November 2022 · 01:48
    One place that impressed me was the Gasteinertal.

https://www.bergfex.com/badgastein/

The vertical drops are not as big as in the Arlberg, but there's good variety between Sport Gastein and Bad Gastein/Angertal and they have a very good yearly snow average. There are hot springs there too and lots of underused touring options West of Bad Gastein.

The big plus is being able to take a short train trip through the tunnel to Mallnitz/Ankogel to ski or to Obervellach from which one can taxi to the Mölltal Glacier and a huge backcountry descent back to Sport Gastein, the latter of which should be done in good, stable conditions with a guide.

A nice hotel in Bad Gastein, not far from the train station and hot springs is the https://www.hotelechobadgastein.com/ . Henriikka there can help arrange guides and is an avid skier.

We always like to use the trains to help minimize our carbon footprint and there's lots of trains from Salzburg to Bad Gastein.
    *message edited by Chester_Tartsnatcher op 21 Nov 2022 01:58 (6% bewerkt)
  • Storpotatisen
    Advanced
    Storpotatisen op 21 November 2022 · 22:24
    If you haven't been to Ötztal I can gladly recommend it. Usually lots of snow and always lots of vertical. And by Ötztal I'm talking about Sölden and the Gurgl villages, haven't tried Oetz or Vent.
    Speaking of Sölden you have lots to discover, great tree-skiing, open fields, steep colouirs, bowls and everything else. For me, Gaislachkogel stands out. It's a great freeride mountain with great possibilities in every direction. You can go North, you can go south and you can go east or west. Just take a pick of your likings for the day. Other itineraries are the Rosskirpl, the fields below Breitlehner or skiing from Mutjoch to Winterstall.

Adding a short film from our trip some years ago.
    ~~Storpotatisen~~

You need to be logged in to post a comment in this topic. Login or create an account.

Upgrade to wepowder Pro

• Extended 14 day forecast
  • Slope angle and exposition terrain layers
  • Inspirational freeride routes
wePowder Pro