Nordstau for Austria!

Nordstau for Austria!
Nordstau for Austria!
Nordstau for Austria!

Finally, the time has come and the Northern Alps seem to be getting a decent Nordstau. Monday very likely so time for PA#6. In a few phases, it is going to snow quite a bit next week. Not that much at first, but serious amounts will follow later in the week. In the eastern Nordstau areas, a metre of snow could possibly fall. A short update today because I am on the road and, as expected, the internet connection is quite bad. Monday hopefully with better internet a slightly more extensive PA#6.

Monday night settling snowfall

Monday will remain mostly sunny, but the first snowfall will reach the northern Alps in the evening. Overall, it remains just a first taste and the amounts are a bit moderate compared to last week’s model calculations. This is because the snowfall is accompanied by high pressure building from the west, something I warned about in my previous weather report, which quickly reduces the snowfall here. The areas east of Tyrol will get around 10 to 25 centimetres. Further west, therefore, already less.

Later in the week significantly more snow

Later next week, the real deal will hopefully follow. In the night from Wednesday to Thursday, new snowfall will follow in the Northern Alps, which will also bring more snow to the west. Until Friday morning, 30 to 50 centimetres could fall on a large scale in Austria. Locally also certainly more in the stau areas. Both Monday night and with this snowfall, winds will pick up higher up.

On the Swiss side, again increasing pressure could cause less snowfall. The ECMWF and GFS still differ greatly on this. The American model even goes for another round of snow from Friday night, but again the differences in amounts are too big to say anything meaningful about it now.

Where to go?

In short: Austria. The centre of gravity is mainly on the Austrian side, so for certainty you really need to be here next week. Possibly western Switzerland could also become an option, but there is still an uncertainty factor here. Particularly in the areas around Salzburgerland - Upper Austria - Styria can expect serious accumulations. Think among others of ski areas like Hochkönig, Krippenstein, Tauplitz, Loser - Altaussee. Also check the wePowder Guide for more locations.

Read also:

Henri
knows everything about new ski areas, lifts and projects.

Replies

Tourist
FowkesdanAuthor28 January 2023 · 21:32

Just arrived in Obertauren… looking good ❄️

Tourist
flyingkiwiAuthor29 January 2023 · 06:00

You mean Eastern Switzerland not Western. Cheers Henri

Tourist
flyingkiwiAuthor29 January 2023 · 06:00

You mean Eastern Switzerland not Western. Cheers Henri

Advanced
LiBTech1978proAuthor29 January 2023 · 08:46

Thanks Henri for updates, any models of forecast for second part of February maybe? Thanks

Tourist
Daniel BurgerAuthor29 January 2023 · 09:07

@@LIBTech1978:
It will be sunny at 30°C

Advanced
LiBTech1978proAuthor29 January 2023 · 09:32

@@LIBTech1978:
It will be sunny at 30°C\

Daniel Burger op 29 Jan 2023 09:07

I hear negative from your mouth. Do you even ski?

Advanced
Luke___Author29 January 2023 · 21:31

I am thinking about Saturday (4.2.) to come to Krippenstein, but not sure about the avalanche danger score at that time :) The snowing should end during Saturday, but I cant find any snow profile from the past from this area (lawis.at)

Beginner
llugsouthmoraviaAuthor31 January 2023 · 14:26

I am thinking about Saturday (4.2.) to come to Krippenstein, but not sure about the avalanche danger score at that time :) The snowing should end during Saturday, but I cant find any snow profile from the past from this area (lawis.at)\

Luke___ op 29 Jan 2023 21:31

Bacha má tam spadnout do neděle až 1,5 m a dost tam má foukat v sobotu ráno kolem 70 km/hod…fakt bacha na strmější žlaby …kámoš ted byl ve flachau a jezdí to tam dolů uplně všechno…

Beginner
llugsouthmoraviaAuthor31 January 2023 · 14:33

I am thinking about Saturday (4.2.) to come to Krippenstein, but not sure about the avalanche danger score at that time :) The snowing should end during Saturday, but I cant find any snow profile from the past from this area (lawis.at)\

https://www.instagram.com/p/CoFM9zCoUVS/
Advanced
Luke___Author2 February 2023 · 02:16

Bacha má tam spadnout do neděle až 1,5 m a dost tam má foukat v sobotu ráno kolem 70 km/hod…fakt bacha na strmější žlaby …kámoš ted byl ve flachau a jezdí to tam dolů uplně všechno…

llugsouthmoravia op 31 Jan 2023 14:26

Díky, koukám právě na situaci a musíme asi jinam, níž (Gosau/Tauplitz)

Never miss a PowderAlert!

Get updates on the latest news, PowderAlerts and more!