Dry week with some snow in Piedmont

Dry week with some snow in Piedmont
The weather picture for this week
The weather picture for this week

This week provides quite a contrast to last week. While it went completely wild in eastern Austria with more than a metre of snow in many places and locally even more than a metre and a half of snow, this week it remains pretty much dry. A high-pressure area over central Europe ensures barely any precipitation, but also cold conditions. Only in Piedmont may still get some snow overnight.

Avalanche danger persistently high

There were unfortunately far too many avalanche victims to mourn last weekend. The fresh snow combined with stormy conditions (not only higher up the mountains but also on lower elevations) made for an extremely precarious avalanche situation. Even now, the avalanche risk remains high. So don’t be too quickly tempted because the avalanche danger above the tree line has now dropped from 4 to 3, because with a look at the avalanche bulletins (e.g. Tyrol and Salzburg) you can still see that the critical situation persists. So even now, be careful and check the avalanche bulletins carefully what is possible and what is not.

About 20 centimetres of fresh snow in Engelberg
About 20 centimetres of fresh snow in Engelberg

Some snow for Switzerland yesterday

A short-wave trough from the north brought some snow to Switzerland yesterday. It gave around 10 to 20 centimetres of snow for Switzerland and then a few centimetres in the French Alps and western Piedmont. No staggering amounts, but it will be one of the few snow moments this week.

Snow for Piedmont tonight

Although a high pressure area dominates just north of the Alps, some snow may still fall tonight. From the east, a portion of cold air will be transported to the Alps, which could then cause some snow due to light pushing, especially in the areas of Piedmont. Do not expect large amounts: in the northern areas it will stick to around 5 to 10 centimetres. Further south, accumulations could reach 20 centimetres.

Some snow in Piedmont and possibly a dusting of snow for Austria over the weekend
High pressure over Europe, but with an easterly wind it remains quite cold initially (wetter3.de, DWD)

Bone-dry

The high-pressure core seems to stay over central Europe for an extended period, keeping snowfall far away from the Alps. In the process, a more easterly flow will initially keep it quite cold, especially in the eastern and southern Alps, but towards the end of the week considerably milder air could flow in from the west, as can be seen in the ensemble for the north-western Alps below. So it will be warmer, but not particularly high temperatures. Eastern Austria may be able to pick up some snow at the end of the week on the edge of a disturbance with a north-westerly flow, but it will certainly not be much.

Bone-dry ensemble for Geneva (wetterzentrale.de)
Bone-dry ensemble for Geneva (wetterzentrale.de)

Read also:

Henri
knows everything about new ski areas, lifts and projects.

Replies

Advanced
LiBTech1978proAuthor6 February 2023 · 15:30

Thanks @@Henri, still hope second half of February will be skiing able

Advanced
Chester_TartsnatcherAuthor6 February 2023 · 16:01

Ouch

EuroBBI2024 Rueras, CH March 1-9, 2024
Beginner
hanserlingproAuthor6 February 2023 · 19:44

Anyone got any tips where in Austria to go to possibly find some snow that is not totaly tracked out? Preferably somewhere it is possible to hire a guide.

Tourist
ecsjonesproAuthor7 February 2023 · 01:50

Winter is more or less over at this point below 2000m

Tourist
aoalAuthor7 February 2023 · 11:26

Why are people in here commneting so depressive? You just had some magic days in the alps. And now it’s temporary warmer.

Tourist
mgclusesAuthor7 February 2023 · 17:14

@@aoal - it’s true Austria got dumped on, but the snow is struggling here around Chamonix and it’s only getting warmer in the forecast… I agree we should stay hopeful though!

Tourist
aoalAuthor7 February 2023 · 17:48

@@aoal - it’s true Austria got dumped on, but the snow is struggling here around Chamonix and it’s only getting warmer in the forecast… I agree we should stay hopeful though!

mgcluses op 7 Feb 2023 17:14

True. But northwest France had an amazing January when Austria was empty.

I guess it is a symptom, “I want everything now”- culture. Boosted with an Instagram feed where it is always dumping.

Beginner
ari.krepostman@gmail.comAuthor8 February 2023 · 11:23

@@aoal; it has nothing to do with “I want everything now”, really. It has more to do with people who love the sport being depressed when season after season it seems like winter is getting shorter and shorter. Snow used to be plentiful. Even powder days were quite plentiful in the Alps. Now we are just crossing our fingers hoping for sufficient snowcover just to ride icy/spring/mixed conditions.

Actually I was wrong when I said “I want everything now” culture is not to blame. In fact that’s exactly what is to blame. I want a hamburger. I want a fast car. I want a faster, bigger car now. I want fast fashion now. I want a new house now. I want… I thiknk you see what I’m getting at; if not, I’ll spell it out for you: “I want it now” consumer culture is what is driving CO2 and methane emissions.

The elephant in the room that no one seems to be able to talk about is what is driving this hyper-consumerism? Why do we seem to “need” all these (obviously unnecessary) things?

Never miss a PowderAlert!

Get updates on the latest news, PowderAlerts and more!