PA#7 and PA#8 Update

PA#7 and PA#8 Update
Quite a some fresh snow at the Obere Firstalm in Spitzingsee (D)
Quite a some fresh snow at the Obere Firstalm in Spitzingsee (D)

Today a brief update on the expected snowfall for PA#8 in Piedmont, the powder alert that was still a bit uncertain due to the scaled-back amounts in recent days. Before I get into that, let’s take a look at what the cold front left behind in the Northern Alps.

Nice layer of fresh snow on the north side

The cold front last night left a decent amount of snow in several Nordstau areas, as above in Spitzingsee, Bavaria. There was almost no snow here on Friday, but a good amount fell overnight. Some 30 to 40 centimetres fell from the Bregenzerwald to the Totes Gebirge. Further south, the amounts decreased as expected. South of the Inntal, for example, we saw no more than 20 centimetres. In Axamer Lizum, I found around 15 to 20 centimetres. Especially for the eastern half of the Northern Alps, then. Less fell in the troubled Switzerland and, moreover, the snowline was initially a bit higher than expected. Before the cold front, it rained here on the north side temporarily up to around 1,600 metres, but here too the snowline then dropped to around 1,000 metres at cold front passage.

Until tomorrow evening, some 10 to 20 centimetres could still fall! Again, I expect most in the northern areas between Vorarlberg and Salzburgerland. Moreover, considerably colder air is flowing in, making for a deep-winter day with temperatures well below -10 degrees at 2000 metres. In addition, a chilly northeast wind (especially later in the day) will also be present, making it feel even colder.

Snow accumulations in Austria until Saturday morning (uwz.at)
ECMWF 12z runs of 24-2 (left) and 25-2 (right) (wxcharts.com)
Today's ICON12z shows it dumping heavily in the southern areas (wxcharts.com)

PA#8 in Piedmont

The big question in recent days was how the new model runs would calculate the snowfall for Piedmont. What is clear is that by far the most snow will fall in the southernmost areas. This is what the models have been hinting at for several days. The recent runs of the European model are quite consistent, with even some increasing amounts again.

Tomorrow (Sunday) is the day and the Genoa Low develops such that it starts snowing during the morning and afternoon. Initially also in the northern regions of Piedmont, but during the evening and night the snowfall will be increasingly limited to the southern half. Here it continues to snow through the night of Monday to Tuesday. It is cold enough for snow to reach the valleys.

In the areas west of Turin (e.g. Prali, Sestriere) it will be nowcasting. These areas are just on the edge where the models don’t quite agree on the amounts yet. Around 30 to 40 centimetres through Monday evening really seems possible here. Some high-resolution models hint at more. Further south, all models see the centre of gravity at the ski resorts around Cuneo in the Alpi Marittime: e.g. Limone Piemonte, Mondolè Ski. Here it could really start dumping well over half a metre by Monday evening, with some calculations reaching 80 centimetres or more.

Snowfall will also temporarily jump to the French Alps on Sunday. Anyway, the Maurienne Valley can expect some snow, of course the most for the areas close to the Italian border, like Val Cenis. Some 5 to 15 centimetres are also calculated in the French southern Alps. Of course, we then also have the Queyras, where the areas close to the border could catch much more. Based on the models, 20 to 40 centimetres seems possible, but it will be nowcasting here too. Here too, some high-resolution models show some more.

Prato Nevoso on Saturday
Prato Nevoso on Saturday

Read also:

Henri
knows everything about new ski areas, lifts and projects.

Replies

Tourist
RundfunkAuthor26 February 2023 · 10:38

In Cuneo, is the base good enough if it only falls 50-70cm. Hard to jugde by the cameras. Your models shows above 200cm and continues snowfall until Thursday….

Beginner
QuelleAuthor26 February 2023 · 12:55

I will arrive today in Cuneo and can report tomorrow. 👍

Advanced
Chris_GroveAuthor26 February 2023 · 13:50

hey, I’m in cham for the season and considering making the trip since we haven’t had a dump since Jan. where would be the best tree skiing area in the region getting the most snow?

Advanced
Chris_GroveAuthor26 February 2023 · 13:50

hey, I’m in cham for the season and considering making the trip since we haven’t had a dump since Jan. where would be the best tree skiing area in the region getting the most snow?

Tourist
StoffelAuthor26 February 2023 · 20:12

We’re planning to go there, too, but slightly later, in 14 days. Please provide some update on the conditions if you go there.

Tourist
mgclusesAuthor27 February 2023 · 07:54

hey, I’m in cham for the season and considering making the trip since we haven’t had a dump since Jan. where would be the best tree skiing area in the region getting the most snow?\

Chris_Grove op 26 Feb 2023 13:50

I was thinking the same thing haha… bummed this one missed us!!!

Tourist
wlfAuthor27 February 2023 · 10:15

Prali usually does pretty well out of these storms and is somewhat reknown for its tree skiing. Morris who used to run this site was a big fan of it.

Beginner
QuelleAuthor27 February 2023 · 12:05

Limone is practically closed for today and maybe tomorrow too. The snow is awesome but too much to handle apparently. We’re trying now to get to Mondole…

Beginner
TrabateoAuthor27 February 2023 · 17:01

Tomorrow I should be in Prali.
For Mondole Ski I would wait for the chairlift situation to be complete but perhaps we will have to wait a few more days

One step at a time, one breath at a time. So if you don't survive the bullet closest to your forehea
Tourist
PalmexAuthor27 February 2023 · 20:07

Limone is practically closed for today and maybe tomorrow too. The snow is awesome but too much to handle apparently. We’re trying now to get to Mondole…

Quelle op 27 Feb 2023 12:05

Hey, thanks for update! how is the base looking in Limone?

Beginner
QuelleAuthor27 February 2023 · 20:46

Couldn’t really check out limone today. Visibility was non existent and lifts were closed except the beginners lifts. In Artesina the base was pretty weak in the lower parts as well as occasionally in the woods. Hit some rocks with my skies. Nevertheless it was a good day and the pow had good quality. Some searching was required though because the obvious runs and the pow on the slopes has been tracked out quickly.
My recommendation would be to wait until the next dump on Wednesday and arrive latest when the sun comes out on Friday

Never miss a PowderAlert!

Get updates on the latest news, PowderAlerts and more!