Surprise PA#9 for the Northwestern Alps!

Surprise PA#9 for the Northwestern Alps!
Precipitation amounts through Saturday afternoon according to the ICON model (wxcharts.com)
Precipitation amounts through Saturday afternoon according to the ICON model (wxcharts.com)

What a surprise today! After a lot of nasty weather maps over the past few days, we suddenly woke up this morning to new winter chances. Snow instead of rain! I do want to add right away that it doesn’t mean it’s suddenly party mood everywhere, small changes are still possible, but at least the developments are a lot more positive. It is high time to see what the models have shown today AND it is time for PA#9, because with this lower snowline, more is possible!

In this weather report

• First snow phase underway
  • Temporarily calmer
  • More snow tomorrow night - what does the snowline do?
  • Wind remains an issue!
Radar image of precipitation this evening (Meteoschweiz)
Radar image of precipitation this evening (Meteoschweiz)

First snow phase underway

The first snow phase is currently underway. Most of it will fall in the French Northern Alps and western Switzerland, around 30 to 50 centimetres. In the process, the snowline already rose to around 1600-1800 metres, locally to around or even above 2000 metres. It was also already very very windy, especially in the exposed areas for these westerlies. On a large scale with wind gusts of 80 to 100 kilometres per hour. On the Pilatus, Säntis, Diavolezza, Jungfraujoch and the Hoher Kasten, wind gusts of 120 to as much as 140 kilometres per hour were measured. It is then of course no surprise that the avalanche risk also rose again. Due to the greatest amounts it’s the highest in western Valais and the French Northern Alps, but also elswhere it’s important to check the full avalanche bulletins. The snow is falling on unfavourable old snow and with the wind involved, wind slabs are of course also a problem. So there will be some powder to score in this region tomorrow, but the choices are very limited due to the conditions. Too low and it has rained, too high and it is too tricky with the avalanche risk.

Temporarily calmer

Tomorrow morning (Thursday), the intensity of the precipitation decreases again for a while and the sun gets some more space during the day. On the northern side of the Alps it will continue to snow a bit longer. Snowline here too will remain at around 1,600 to 1,900 metres, but precipitation will be limited mainly to the northern alpine rim. Further south in Austria too, it may clear up widely during the day.

More snow from tomorrow evening

So far barely any changes compared to what I wrote yesterday, but the snow episode from tomorrow night (Thursday on Friday) through Saturday has thus changed rigorously in the weather models. Yesterday I mentioned the possibility that the north side could get a somewhat lower snowline Saturday during the day, but the model runs suddenly presented us with a considerably more positive picture this morning. You really rarely see such differences from run to run (the evening vs the morning). The reason for the lower snowline is a more north-westerly flow during Friday, allowing significantly cooler air to flow in. One thing does remain pretty constant in the models: the westerly winds will be very strong.

Morning and evening run of the European model today (wxcharts.com)
Morning and evening run of the European model today (wxcharts.com)

What is the snowline doing? Do the models pull back?

Now the question is what impact will this have on the snowline and whether the models will pull back a bit after all? We can already see the latter happening slightly this evening, as you can see above. The cold may not reach the Western and Northern Alps to the same extent as this was calculated in the morning runs, but even so, it still looks considerably better than in recent days. Small shifts can really still happen, but here is an indication based on the current model runs:

The answer to the first question is that the snowline will likely really get lower than I wrote yesterday. For the French Northern Alps and western Switzerland in the night from Thursday to Friday depending on wind impact around 1,500 to 1,800 metres, but Friday during the day the snowline could actually drop below 1,500 metres again. Where it snows solidly and the wind is not so much present even towards 1200 metres. Further east, the snowline will also be lower.

Colder air may reach the Northern Alps (wetter3.de, DWD)
Colder air may reach the Northern Alps (wetter3.de, DWD)

During the night from Friday to Saturday, even colder air masses approach from the north, bringing the snowline below 1,000 metres in eastern Switzerland and Vorarlberg. West of that, it is still a bit of a question. I do not rule out that here too the snowline could get surprisingly low, but for now I am assuming around 1,200 to 1,600 metres.

As for amounts, there could still be plenty of snow, with the French Northern Alps and western Valais centred on up to around 80-120 centimetres. Some 40 - 60 centimetres of snow could also fall between Valais and Vorarlberg. Only east of Arlberg, meanwhile, the amounts are significantly less. A maximum of 10-20 centimetres, with even less likely in Salzburgerland.

Stormy!

Finally, let me emphasise: wind remains a problem! Not only for avalanches, but it also makes it harder for precipitation cooling to take place. At the western alpine edge, where the wind will be the strongest, the snowline will therefore be the highest. If you are in the Western Alps, you should look for the more inner-alpine, narrow, wind-sheltered valleys. Also, from Friday onwards, the further north, the higher the chances of a low snowline.

** Tomorrow in an update I will discuss the new model runs and where to go! **

Read also:

Henri
knows everything about new ski areas, lifts and projects.

Replies

Tourist
mgclusesAuthor9 March 2023 · 07:41

YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

Tourist
JRAuthor9 March 2023 · 07:53

I really don’t understand how the forecast for the St Anton/Ischgl region can change from something really promising to something “so and so” during 2 days, i.e. going from +200 cm to less than 50 cm during a 12 day period. Can someone please explain this to me?

Advanced
LiBTech1978proAuthor9 March 2023 · 08:31

Good news, but if powder is wet not big satisfaction, as temperatures below 2000 are positive

Tourist
KlaibsAuthor9 March 2023 · 08:47
Tourist
KlaibsAuthor9 March 2023 · 08:47
Beginner
jochemAuthor9 March 2023 · 11:50

Good news, but if powder is wet not big satisfaction, as temperatures below 2000 are positive

LiBTech1978 op 9 Mar 2023 08:31

Any show is welcome in the French Alps at the moment though.

Advanced
LiBTech1978proAuthor9 March 2023 · 15:35

jochem op 9 Mar 2023 11:50

? What show?

Beginner
DiederiktBAuthor9 March 2023 · 16:59

Took little time for photos but it was beautiful today in Val d’isere. A real bluebird powder day above 2200m. Avalanche danger was pretty high though, thanks to the changing conditions and high winds. I saw a pretty sizeable live avalanche where people just managed to get away. Will be more and larger tomorrow for sure. Stay safe the next few days guys and girls!
https://cdn.wepowder.com/site/forum/15/d837c26e259de783fea1efbe435de840_20230309_093820.jpg?width=800

Tourist
8611Author9 March 2023 · 17:47

I really don’t understand how the forecast for the St Anton/Ischgl region can change from something really promising to something “so and so” during 2 days, i.e. going from +200 cm to less than 50 cm during a 12 day period. Can someone please explain this to me?

JR op 9 Mar 2023 07:53

This SSW event plays havoc with models and makes things very hard to predict with wild swings even a very short period of time before the day in question. I have seen as much with local forecasts over the last while. Usually you can be pretty certain three days out but not with this.

Tourist
ecsjonesproAuthor9 March 2023 · 18:45

Snow……

? What show?

LiBTech1978 op 9 Mar 2023 15:35

Advanced
LiBTech1978proAuthor9 March 2023 · 19:03

JR op 9 Mar 2023 07:53

I hear you, same thing here, I took this picture on February 8th before going to Austria, was expecting some powder how suddenly all snow forecast disappeared, no fresh snow nothing https://cdn.wepowder.com/site/forum/15/4d61d0edf4cd06d62780c310cca47e96_6754e219_d1eb_4086_9246_7b004b5beb08.jpeg?width=800

Advanced
LiBTech1978proAuthor9 March 2023 · 19:05

Took little time for photos but it was beautiful today in Val d’isere. A real bluebird powder day above 2200m. Avalanche danger was pretty high though, thanks to the changing conditions and high winds. I saw a pretty sizeable live avalanche where people just managed to get away. Will be more and larger tomorrow for sure. Stay safe the next few days guys and girls!
https://cdn.wepowder.com/site/forum/15/d837c26e259de783fea1efbe435de840_20230309_093820.jpg

DiederiktB op 9 Mar 2023 16:59

I am jealous)

Advanced
LiBTech1978proAuthor9 March 2023 · 19:05

Snow……

? What show?

LiBTech1978 op 9 Mar 2023 15:35

ecsjones op 9 Mar 2023 18:45

Thanks

Never miss a PowderAlert!

Get updates on the latest news, PowderAlerts and more!