Alps Winter '12-'13

• meteomorris
    Tourist
    meteomorris op 6 December 2012 路 19:27
    Hi, I am Morris. The weatherman at wePowder. During the season I will share here my daytime observations. Feel free to ask me questions, share your knowledge and post your remarks.
    May the powder be with you.
  • Luca
    Expert
    Luca op 7 December 2012 路 11:43
    hi morris, what do you think about going to chamonix for the week end? how will be the visibility/wind etc?...
    Luca - www.lucazattoni.com
  • AndersBj
    Advanced
    AndersBj op 7 December 2012 路 17:05
    Any long term prophecies? Looks like alps in general got their dumps. Will this continue into january, with storms bringing us happiness? Planning alps january u see馃槈
    No friends on powderdays..
  • meteomorris
    Tourist
    meteomorris op 7 December 2012 路 19:39
    @Luca, Sunday will be good. Perhaps already some sun on Saturday afternoon.
    @AndersBj, That's way to far in the future to predict. I'm sorry.
  • meteomorris
    Tourist
    meteomorris op 9 December 2012 路 10:08
    @AndersBj, when exactly are you going?
  • Nidhugg
    Advanced
    Nidhugg op 9 December 2012 路 22:20
    Hi Morris and thanks for the great powdertips last season! This looks just as promising!

My skiingfriends and I plan to go skiing next weekend (13-16) and we will go to Åre for just some preseason skiing (we live in Sweden) unless we can get some good powder in the Alps. When I checked the long forecast, it looked very warm with snow or rain. Do you think the warmth will ruin the snow or will we get another dump. We can go anywhere in the alps basicly but prefer the Savoy (have a place to stay there).
  • AndersBj
    Advanced
    AndersBj op 9 December 2012 路 23:16
    Not sure yet. Alagna, piemonte last year was good after a heavy snowfall, but base was pretty bad. If The snowconditions are favorable, I really wanna go back. Alternatively fly to Geneva and drive where the snow falls... Y'know, parenthood has left the guys with one week feelgood-time. Wanna Get the best out of that week..馃槈

Hoping for some powderdays in Norway too though
    No friends on powderdays..
  • meteomorris
    Tourist
    meteomorris op 10 December 2012 路 13:14
    @AndrsBj.. Just contact me a few days before you are leaving and I will give you a customized advice.
  • meteomorris
    Tourist
    meteomorris op 10 December 2012 路 13:23
    @Nidhugg.. you are right about the long term. Jetstream is turning west which means that temperatures will go up rapidly during the warm sector and fall deep during the cold sector. With a western Jetstream detailed longterm predictions are pretty hard, but for the moment this is what it looks like..

Friday: warm sector moving in. Strong southern winds. It will stay cool in the inner alpine areas. Inner alpine are like Val d'Isere, Bonneval sur Arc and Serre Che.

Friday to Saturday: massive snowfalls in the Southern Alps. Snowlevel around 1300 meters. Warm chinook wind in the Northern Alps. Southern Alps (serre chevalier) will be the best spot

Saturday: cold sector is moving in. Snowlevel will drop in the Northern Alps (Savoy)
  • meteomorris
    Tourist
    meteomorris op 11 December 2012 路 13:44
    Jetstream is turning west.. weather is changing and a warmer storm is moving in...
    http://wepowder.com/weblog/3887/A-stormy-weekend
  • Nidhugg
    Advanced
    Nidhugg op 17 December 2012 路 22:33
    Thanks for the tips! Had a fantastic weekend in Val d*Isere and Ste Foy.
  • MathiasHolstMadsen
    Tourist
    MathiasHolstMadsen op 19 December 2012 路 12:55
    Hello Morris

First of all, thank you for doing what you are doing at this amazing site.

Some freinds and I are heading to Bad gastein the 25th of december. Will we get some fresh snow or will it stay "hot"?

Best regards
    Mathias
  • Luka
    Tourist
    Luka op 19 December 2012 路 14:01
    Hi Morris,

what about some recent changes in synoptic maps for this weekend? Seems that the thaw will not get that strong after all...

Cheers,
    Luka
    Luka
  • Arjen
    Advanced
    Arjen op 20 December 2012 路 11:04
    According to the lastest forecast it's only a short period of thaw. That would be nice!
    One day, they'll invent synthetic powder, ban all kinds of work and give you a free liftpass...
  • meteomorris
    Tourist
    meteomorris op 21 December 2012 路 23:04
    @Mathias,
    Latest output does say that it will get cooler starting december the 25th during the evening. The cool sector will bring in some freshies!

@Luka
    The thaw will be pretty strong december the 24th with zero level degree going up towards 2400 meters.
  • georges
    Advanced
    georges op 27 December 2012 路 14:45
    Should I get rid of the we powder line application on my PC?
    Follow the snow
  • meteomorris
    Tourist
    meteomorris op 27 December 2012 路 22:03
    @Georges, yes... we will bring all the content we had on the wepowder line application to our new website the coming weeks.
  • shreddy_krueger
    Beginner
    shreddy_krueger op 4 January 2013 路 17:40
    Hy, what do you think about the snowline at Tauplitz? On the yr.no chart the 0-degree mark is just below 1500 meters 馃槥 Do you really think that we will find powder not wet snow there tomorrow (Saturday) ?
  • meteomorris
    Tourist
    meteomorris op 6 January 2013 路 01:02
    It will be wet below 1500 meters.. Tomorrow the same, monday cooler.
  • shreddy_krueger
    Beginner
    shreddy_krueger op 6 January 2013 路 15:19
    The snow was wet and heavy as u said but we had fun nevertheless 馃槈 btw really nice base for the upcoming cooler snow but avy danger is high! (East Austria - Border Upper Austria/ Styria)
  • meteomorris
    Tourist
    meteomorris op 7 January 2013 路 09:27
    @Shreddy_Krueger.. Thanks...
  • Luca
    Expert
    Luca op 19 January 2013 路 17:01
    hi morris, i'm going to courmayeur on tuesday. do you think it will be bluebird and powder?
    Luca - www.lucazattoni.com
  • meteomorris
    Tourist
    meteomorris op 20 January 2013 路 14:08
    @Luca, looks like it. Wednesday a new storm moving in.
  • KlasRydstrand
    Advanced
    KlasRydstrand op 21 January 2013 路 19:17
    Hi Morris the Weatherman! Me and my girlfriend have been observing snow conditions in the alps the last couple of weeks since we have a flight booked for Geneva on Saturday, January 26. It's been looking good for a while but the last update from you made us worried. What do you think next week will look like? We only have flights booked since we want to be flexible and follow the snow. Where should we go? Or is it way too early to say yet? Thanks for all you help!
  • meteomorris
    Tourist
    meteomorris op 21 January 2013 路 21:05
    @Klas Rydstrand
    When are you going and how long are you staying?
  • KlasRydstrand
    Advanced
    KlasRydstrand op 21 January 2013 路 21:09
    We leave this Saturday (26th) and stay for a week, so we fly home on Feb 2nd.
  • lynsey
    Beginner
    lynsey op 23 January 2013 路 00:03
    Hey same question as Klas but I live in Munich so driving from there, we are looking at the dolomites for a week from 26th, what do you think?
  • KlasRydstrand
    Advanced
    KlasRydstrand op 23 January 2013 路 00:15
    Since Lynsey was a bit more specific, maybe I should add that we are looking at the resorts that are rechable by ski shuttle or a couple of hours on the train. We will not rent a car. So Austria and Dolomites are not an option for us. From Geneva airport we have been talking about Engelberg to the East, Serre-Chevalier to the South and Chamonix in the center, just to mention a few. But go ahead a give your advice regardless! Btw; good luck Lynsey and may the pow be with you.
  • lynsey
    Beginner
    lynsey op 23 January 2013 路 10:20
    yeah same to you Klas, really hoping it's not warming up everywhere.
  • PerØdegaard
    Advanced
    PerØdegaard op 28 January 2013 路 10:15
    Hello Morris. Planning for St. Anton from Feb. 2-4. Any powder coming?
    festus

You need to be logged in to post a comment in this topic. Login or create an account.

Upgrade to wepowder Pro

• Extended 14 day forecast
  • Slope angle and exposition terrain layers
  • Inspirational freeride routes
wePowder Pro