Alps Winter '12-'13

• AndreasPieber
    Advanced
    AndreasPieber op 28 January 2013 路 19:20
  • meteomorris
    Tourist
    meteomorris op 31 January 2013 路 08:36
    @Per Odegaard...
    You will hit the sweet spot!! powderalert#18 is coming!
    May the powder be with you.
  • konrade
    Advanced
    konrade op 31 January 2013 路 10:23
    sound really good 馃槂 Any props where to go for a quick, one day shot this weekend from Munich? Probably Sunday will be a better choice, but still I haven't decided which place would be the best option.... any thoughts Morris? 馃槂
  • meteomorris
    Tourist
    meteomorris op 1 February 2013 路 21:43
    @Konrade, any resort with trees will be good this weekend!
  • Luca
    Expert
    Luca op 4 February 2013 路 12:26
    @Morris, i've read that you'll be in the western alps by Tuesday, have you already decided where?
    Luca - www.lucazattoni.com
  • meteomorris
    Tourist
    meteomorris op 6 February 2013 路 18:31
    @Luca, today I was in Valfrejus (France). Great day in the trees!
  • Luca
    Expert
    Luca op 7 February 2013 路 08:15
    it may be possible that tomorrow it will be sunny in courmayeur or chamonix? or at least not too cloudy....
    Luca - www.lucazattoni.com
  • AndersBj
    Advanced
    AndersBj op 25 February 2013 路 11:35
    @Morris, looking at the upcoming PA's, the best parts are in the south for the upcoming days. After that stability? or chanses for more storms coming in? our destination is open, from Zurich airport by car. Should we head for high altitude og forest areas? and will south alps still be the area of choice?
    No friends on powderdays..
  • meteomorris
    Tourist
    meteomorris op 26 February 2013 路 13:42
    @AndersBj, correct. There is a lot of fresh snow in the Southern Alps. This weekend will be dry and sunny. Warmer air is expected to move in on Sunday.

Next week will be warmer due to a southwestern flow. Excpect zero=levels to go up and fresh snow as of Tuesday/Wednesday in the Piemonte.

Aim for North Faces on Sunday till Tuesday and forrest on Wednesday-Thursday. You can skip the resorts that are to low.

Cheers!
  • lynsey
    Beginner
    lynsey op 26 February 2013 路 14:11
    hey Morris, any suggestions where to go from Munich this weekend, Piemonte is a really long drive...

Cheers!
  • meteomorris
    Tourist
    meteomorris op 26 February 2013 路 15:16
    @Lynsey, You might consider the resorts in the Southern Alps East: http://wepowder.com/playgrounds/region/9

They had 30-120 cm of freshies since friday. Especially Carinthia and the pre-alps of the Dolomites will het another 20-40 cm of freshies between today and wednesday. From Thursday on it will be sunny and temperatures will go up.

Cheers!
  • AndersBj
    Advanced
    AndersBj op 26 February 2013 路 15:25
    "@Morris Will st Moritz/engadin be "south enough"? What about zermatt area? Or is aosta/monterosa the drug of choice? It's all abt drive here too as with @Lyndsey
  • lynsey
    Beginner
    lynsey op 26 February 2013 路 15:57
    Thanks Morris, should have said going for a week, does that change things?
  • meteomorris
    Tourist
    meteomorris op 26 February 2013 路 16:03
    @AndersBj, Zermatt only got 5-20 cm. Same is with St. Moritz. Aosta valley only picked up 5-20 cm. St. Moritz is about the same. Mt. Rosa will be good, but look for the North faces (which they don't have that much). If conditions are stable you might consider hiring a guide + helicopter and go for the Marinelli couloir on Sunday/Monday.

As of Wednesday you should probably head to the western Piemonte or the Southern French Alps. Although the exact details might shift the coming days. I will keep you posted!
  • AndersBj
    Advanced
    AndersBj op 28 February 2013 路 00:48
    Thanks a lot! Keep us posted, very good blogposts last couple of days. Keep up the gods!
  • meteomorris
    Tourist
    meteomorris op 28 February 2013 路 14:22
    @AndersBj thank you! Enjoy the search!
  • AndersBj
    Advanced
    AndersBj op 2 March 2013 路 17:42
    Decided to search @ alagna and courmayeur first days. Tips? Then southwest like crissolo or around from tuesday. Keep us posted abt weather changes @morris! It's gold for us...馃槂
  • Anders
    Advanced
    Anders op 2 March 2013 路 18:55
    Hi, we fly into Geneva on thursday, do you think Sestriere will be a good choice? Thanks.
  • meteomorris
    Tourist
    meteomorris op 2 March 2013 路 21:25
    @AndersBj, will keep you posted.
    @Anders, will give you exact details on wednesday..

Cheers
  • AndersBj
    Advanced
    AndersBj op 4 March 2013 路 19:47
    We're at monterosa. Northfaces Are still dry, but mostly tracked up.. Awaits the upcomin dump, but should we stay or should we go?? Limone? Southern frenchies? Or Will monterosa Get enogh??
  • meteomorris
    Tourist
    meteomorris op 5 March 2013 路 11:02
    @AndersBj, I would suggest Milky Way. Especially Sestriere will be good. Nice treeruns between Monte Motta and Pragelato. Make sure to arrive there this evening and enjoy the powder on Wednesday morning. Forecast update will be live within a few hours.
  • meteomorris
    Tourist
    meteomorris op 5 March 2013 路 13:00 May the powder be with you.
  • AndersBj
    Advanced
    AndersBj op 5 March 2013 路 19:37
    BIG thx @meteomorris! Ready in sestriere! Going for first chair tomorrow morning. Abit windy here but snow is coming!
  • meteomorris
    Tourist
    meteomorris op 6 March 2013 路 07:41
    [mention="/profile/8611"]@AndersBj[/mention], front is moving in, but is a little delayed. It will be snowing all day today.
  • SvenPrzetak
    Advanced
    SvenPrzetak op 6 March 2013 路 17:10
    Hi Morris,
    I'll do some Catskiing in Popova Shapka (Macedonia) from 18th to 23rd of March. Here is the link to the trip: http://www.goheliski.at/?id=60
    What do you think about the snow or is it too early for a forecast?
    Cheers from Cologne
    Sven
    Pray for Snow!
  • meteomorris
    Tourist
    meteomorris op 6 March 2013 路 22:01
    @SvenPrzetak that's a bit early, but I will have a look at it and will mention it in my forecast the next week.
    Cheers
  • AndersBj
    Advanced
    AndersBj op 7 March 2013 路 13:34
    Nice powder @sestriere these days, up to 40-50 some places. Fantastic treeruns! Warming up now. Any better place tomorrow? Higher altitude with good snowfall?
  • meteomorris
    Tourist
    meteomorris op 7 March 2013 路 15:25
    @AndersBj, it looks like the French side will get some decent powder tomorrow. Wind is turning southwest and snowlevels are about to drop towards 1600 meters. So the French side will get more powder. You might have a look at Serre Che, Puy St. Vincent or Vars/Risoul. Nice treeruns overthere.

And guess who is also roadtrippin' in the same region as you are now? http://instagram.com/p/WjwyLeC6Gw/
  • AndreasPieber
    Advanced
    AndreasPieber op 7 March 2013 路 19:03
    Any other ideas for the Weekend? Piemont is a too Long Drive for me... :/ what about Sölden, St. Moritz? I can drive up to 4h from vorarlberg.... or should i wait for the next week?
  • meteomorris
    Tourist
    meteomorris op 8 March 2013 路 11:54
    @AndreasPieber, Solden/HochGurgl might get some snow from Saturday to Sunday. Looks like they will pick up 15-30 cm.

You need to be logged in to post a comment in this topic. Login or create an account.

Upgrade to wepowder Pro

• Extended 14 day forecast
  • Slope angle and exposition terrain layers
  • Inspirational freeride routes
wePowder Pro