ask Morris... winter '13-'14

• meteomorris
    Tourist
    meteomorris op 25 December 2013 路 11:45 May the powder be with you.
  • meteomorris
    Tourist
    meteomorris op 25 December 2013 路 11:46
    @KlasRydstrand it's dumpin' 馃槈
    May the powder be with you.
    Advanced
    49 op 25 December 2013 路 17:31
    @meteomorris @klasrydstrand @luca

one meter more for Monte Rosa this week?
    montagna bianca, ti amo
  • Luca
    Expert
    Luca op 25 December 2013 路 17:40
    at 2 o'clock the new snow was about half a meter maybe even more. lots of tree action, and not so little crowded as one can expect during christmas day... i hit some spots that I and few other people know and the powder was one meter minimum!! the snow of the last snowfall was still untouched: REALLY deep!!

unfortunately it was a little bit wet... 0 degrees at 1800m

but there is a lot more to come this night!!
    Luca - www.lucazattoni.com
  • meteomorris
    Tourist
    meteomorris op 25 December 2013 路 22:02
    @Luca, tomorrow will be colder and super deep!!
  • Luca
    Expert
    Luca op 25 December 2013 路 23:54
    @meteomorris! cheers man!
    right now it's dumping really hard. another half a meter maybe more!
    tomorrow it will be deep!
    Advanced
    49 op 26 December 2013 路 09:23
    [mention="/profile/8654"]@Luca[/mention] [mention="/profile/8653"]@klasrydstrand[/mention] enjoy this snow when the lifts open:

23 hours difference Monte Rosa - Pianalunga

montagna bianca, ti amo
  • enne
    Advanced
    enne op 26 December 2013 路 15:29
    holy moly...in upper Austria we have 16 degrees and a lot of wind 馃槥 and no signs for new snow....
  • meteomorris
    Tourist
    meteomorris op 26 December 2013 路 17:53
    @enne, wait for january.. Long term looks good for you
  • KlasRydstrand
    Advanced
    KlasRydstrand op 26 December 2013 路 21:28
    Long time no see boys, I can just agree with @Luca - I've never seen so such a snowfall in my life. Good base for you @49 to say the least. Any advice @Luca on where to finf cold snow tomorrow?
  • enne
    Advanced
    enne op 27 December 2013 路 10:10
    [mention="/profile/26109"][mention=26109]@enne[/mention][/mention], wait for january.. Long term looks good for you meteomorris op 26 Dec 2013 5:53 PM

this are gooooood News 馃榾
  • shreddy_krueger
    Beginner
    shreddy_krueger op 27 December 2013 路 15:59
    I hope you are right morris, because the conditions in the Northern Alps, especially in the East, really suck!
    Right now it feels more like spring than winter, we are in bad bad need of a Nordstau 馃榾
  • enne
    Advanced
    enne op 27 December 2013 路 18:13
    I hope you are right morris, because the conditions in the Northern Alps, especially in the East, really suck!
    Right now it feels more like spring than winter, we are in bad bad need of a Nordstau 馃榾 shreddy_krueger op 27 Dec 2013 3:59 PM

it smells like in April..and that fakt sucks! shreddy where are u from?
  • Luca
    Expert
    Luca op 27 December 2013 路 19:36
    @meteomorris i didn't look at the webcam because i was too stoked staring at my window ahaha today has been pretty epic lots of snow in the woods. tomorrow i'll hit some higher woods / open field. today was pretty warm but luckily i didn't see any avalanche.
    @KlasRydstrand sorry but i didn't noticed your message yesterday, hope you found good snow today! tomorrow weather won't be the best unfortunately...
  • KlasRydstrand
    Advanced
    KlasRydstrand op 28 December 2013 路 17:41
    Thanks @Luca it was deep and a bit wet heavy on the Alagna side yesterday. Seems like the snow has settles more today. By the way; we're thinking about maybe getting a guide a day or two next week. Any recomendation? We talked to the Lyskamm office but I just wanted to check with you as well. Thanks in advance!
  • Chester_Tartsnatcher
    Expert
    Chester_Tartsnatcher op 28 December 2013 路 17:55
  • KlasRydstrand
    Advanced
    KlasRydstrand op 28 December 2013 路 18:04
    Thank's a million @Chester_Tartsnatcher I'll have a look at those links!
  • shreddy_krueger
    Beginner
    shreddy_krueger op 28 December 2013 路 19:19
    @enne: My homebase is in Upper Austria, near Wels, where are you from?

We are on the wrong side of the Alps 馃榾 The south is performing and the north suffering 馃槥

GFS ENS for the Northern Alps East are just making me sad, no big dump insight, but maybe a small event starting from next weekend...
  • Luca
    Expert
    Luca op 29 December 2013 路 15:43
    @KlasRydstrand sorry but yesterday i injured myself hitting hard a rock under my knee... if you need a guide i can recommend you matteo boffi, he's a friend of mine and he's a really experienced guy even if he's young. you can call him at 3395635629

if you're staying in gressoney you can call Francesco, another nice guide, at 3488144942

but if you have the chance ski with gabbio, he's a legend around here

hope you will have great trips!
  • jazzman
    Advanced
    jazzman op 7 January 2014 路 13:42
    Hi guys, this winter is killing me, I must go skiing soon or I´ll go nuts!!
    Since I am from Spain and my economy is no good, I was thinking to go to the Pyrenees instead of the alps next week. I think there is some snow comming on Sunday-Monday but I am not sure how much nor how it will be the rest of the week. If I cannot score good powder, I will remain with my head inside the freezer 馃槈
    Thank you all for your good advices and for feeding the stoke!!
    Morris, your forecasts are incredible, keep it up.
    I´ve added some tips for the val d´Herens and the pyrenees. Hope you find them usefull.
    It麓s snow or never!!
  • jazzman
    Advanced
    jazzman op 7 January 2014 路 13:55
    By the way, Revelstoke rocks!!
    I can see the video in youtube, but the link posted at the end www.wepowder.com/helispost doesn´t work...
    It麓s snow or never!!
  • jazzman
    Advanced
    jazzman op 7 January 2014 路 16:41
    ... I got it, it only works if you enter through www.wepowder.nl if you do it through .com , it says that the page does not exist anymore... I guess I will have to use google translation... it sucks..
    It麓s snow or never!!
  • Niels
    Advanced
    Niels op 7 January 2014 路 22:38
    @jazzman in the current pattern 5+day predictions are really unstable. Indeed something seems to happen those days in the Pyrenees, but the models did not agree yet. It might also just miss the Pyrenees, or hit it harder.

I guess there is more clarity by the end of the week. Until that time, I suggest you keep your freezer on stand by, just in case.
  • jazzman
    Advanced
    jazzman op 7 January 2014 路 22:48
    Keep me posted, even a small trip requires some planning and I should be travelling on sunday!
    Thanks, you guys are great.
    It麓s snow or never!!
  • telemikey
    Advanced
    telemikey op 8 January 2014 路 12:35
    For the Gresonney locals: my son had a sweet lady ski teacher in Zermatt last februari who was from Gresonney (I think). She invited me to come freeride with her some time. I think she did the commute from Z'matt to Gresonney by ski?
    White room,Pillow lines,I rule
  • Chester_Tartsnatcher
    Expert
    Chester_Tartsnatcher op 9 January 2014 路 02:36
    For the Gresonney locals: my son had a sweet lady ski teacher in Zermatt last februari who was from Gresonney (I think). She invited me to come freeride with her some time. I think she did the commute from Z'matt to Gresonney by ski? telemikey op 8 Jan 2014 12:35 PM
    From Zrm@ to Gressoney isn't too much work. The return would be a bit of a climb.

As for snow now, I'm seeing a front crossing the Atlantic, possibly swinging too far North for a good dump. What's the forecast?
  • meteomorris
    Tourist
    meteomorris op 9 January 2014 路 08:02
    Chester_Tartsnatcher , new forecast is coming..
  • Luca
    Expert
    Luca op 9 January 2014 路 08:31
    @telemikey you can go to zermatt from gressoney but you must have some good skinning skills and you must know the grenz glacier... it's sort of a high route; it's nice in spring because you can do the monte rosa tour (gressoney-zermatt-cervinia-champoluc) but i don't think it's the best idea in winter... if you wanna go to zermatt you can go by car to cervinia and then just skiing the slopes you can reach zermatt
  • jazzman
    Advanced
    jazzman op 9 January 2014 路 09:28
    Tons of snow for the pyrenees, even more than for the alpes. La Mongie will receive 25/35 cm on monday...
    It麓s snow or never!!
  • telemikey
    Advanced
    telemikey op 9 January 2014 路 10:17
    @Luca, I wasn't planning on doing it at all. It was the ski teacher who told me that this was the way she (sometimes?) commuted from Zermatt to Gressoney.

BTW I told her about wePowder and that I had heard of Gressoney that way and she was pretty enthusiastic that I'd heard about it.
    White room,Pillow lines,I rule

You need to be logged in to post a comment in this topic. Login or create an account.

Upgrade to wepowder Pro

• Extended 14 day forecast
  • Slope angle and exposition terrain layers
  • Inspirational freeride routes
wePowder Pro