guided trip

• Jarek
    Tourist
    Jarek op 27 December 2013 · 23:22
    Hi,
    My friend and I are going to be one day in chamonix in Jan. 11th 2014.. on a way to Les Menuires.
    Any contacts to someone who could take us off piste and show the place backcountry?
    jarek
  • Chester_Tartsnatcher
    Expert
  • Jarek
    Tourist
    Jarek op 28 December 2013 · 19:43
    Thanks,
    I was thinking of some personal arrangment, not necessarily a proffessional guide. It's about a dough.. do yo know some local skier who might be willing to show us a nice place we could later do ourselves? or something.
    jarek
  • jriph
    Tourist
    jriph op 28 December 2013 · 22:07
    Cham has lots of nice places but most of them are on glaciated terrain far away and tends to get quite serious quite quickly. IMHO not ideal for a one day stop.
    we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty !
  • Jarek
    Tourist
    Jarek op 29 December 2013 · 18:26
    Thanx,

What would you suggest? We are, say, middle skilled off-piste skiers.
    Maybe, we could go ourselves, if we know where to look?
    jarek
  • jriph
    Tourist
    jriph op 30 December 2013 · 22:25
    I'm wary to suggest anything specific as I'd hate to get you into trouble. Trouble in cham is all is fine until you take a wrong turn and end up somewhere.. interesting.

Le Tour is nice at the back but can be very tricky avalanche wise. Grand Montets has lots of good skiing (and gets tracked at a speed that baffles the people at CERN) off the top is glaciated but if you keep to the front side cravasses are pretty visible ( but no guarantees!) lower bits are mostly unproblematic. You can spend a good day skiing hard there and enjoy the terrain ( and if you are really lucky get a few fresh tracks in).

GM's front side is more or less treated as a boundary system (although it is not really and you should have and know how to use avi gear !!) as they know that nobody stays on piste so they are pretty agrressive with bombing and everything is ''vielbefahren''. So lots of side country there without complicated route finding.
  • Jarek
    Tourist
    Jarek op 31 December 2013 · 10:44
    That was really informative. Thanks a lot. We'll try to read more on the places you mentioned.
    cheers,
    jarek
  • Luca
    Expert
    Luca op 31 December 2013 · 16:14
    as @jriph said it is NOT wise to go to chamonix on your own, furthermore if you don't know the place. Remember that top class alpinists and freeriders engage themselves there, so don't follow tracks because it can get really ugly for you. Even the "easy" routes can be tricky there; last year i found a couloir des cosmiques so fucked up, iced, crusted, avalanched that we had problems to get down even with a guide.
    So my suggestion is that you could hire a guide, or join a group if the guide is too expensive. But since you describe yourself as "middle skilled off piste skier" i don't think it'll be wise to do otherwise.
    Keep also in mind that we had tons of snow last week and on the glacier snow will be pretty unstable. In addition there is another front coming, so being stucked in a shitty situation up there will be extremely dangerous

be safe

Luca
    Luca - www.lucazattoni.com
  • Jarek
    Tourist
    Jarek op 2 January 2014 · 10:53
    I appreciate your @. Ofcourse, we aren't the type who would stick their neck out in a completely unknown terrain. We'll either join other skiers or stick close to tracks.
    Jrek
    jarek
  • Luca
    Expert
    Luca op 2 January 2014 · 11:22
    Pay attention because "sticks to tracks" is dangerous there. From the aiguille du midi you have easy access to some of the most difficult lines of the alps like "the mallory". You can end up there just "following tracks"
  • Jarek
    Tourist
    Jarek op 2 January 2014 · 11:42
    I meant stick to bitten tracks, pistes that was 😃 I understand that one never knows whose tracks one is following. That might really be tricky.
    Cheers,
    jarek
  • Luca
    Expert
    Luca op 2 January 2014 · 12:07
    Sorry if i bothered you but this year we already had 10 deaths and now there is a lot people talking about "free riding rules" etc and even sanctions if you ski off piste with avalanche danger 2 out 5.....
    crazy bullshit if you ask me...
  • jriph
    Tourist
    jriph op 2 January 2014 · 18:58
    Although I doubt that you would be silly enough to stray into the Mallory by accident (it's pretty obvious as it is a 45 degree two bounce drop to chamonix centre ville)

I'm more worried about something like the back of Le Tour where there have been numerous fatalities although it looks pretty benign.

I know of a guy skiing down the back of Brevent (untacked powder.. yeheoooeee) only to find out that the reason there are no tracks there is that you end up at a rather large cliff .. as he had no touring gear (or ANY gear.. pretty good skier but an idiot) he spend the next 12 hours trying to get back up and was found pretty hypothermic and only because he had a season pass and they could track his last lift position and guessed a bit where he probably ended up.

so be equally wary of untacked stuff 😃
  • Jarek
    Tourist
    Jarek op 3 January 2014 · 10:33
    That's really bad. We have skins and touring bindings, more than that hope we've got enough brains not to take obvious risks. that was why i asked wherther you may know of any place where freeride groups meet, or have contact to someone who rides at about that time.
    Anyway, If you know, and can help we are there on 11thJan...
    cheers,
    jarek

You need to be logged in to post a comment in this topic. Login or create an account.

Upgrade to wepowder Pro

• Extended 14 day forecast
  • Slope angle and exposition terrain layers
  • Inspirational freeride routes
wePowder Pro