Bardonecchia

• richard1985
    Advanced
    richard1985 op 12 January 2014 · 14:25
    Has anyone got any details for Bardonecchia? Please post on Ordanace Survey Map or Landscape view photo format if possible not on Ski Map format (Ski Maps generically misleading and dangerous for Freeride).

When I get home in 4 hours ill put up a scan of an OS map for the area if that helps.

Cheers,

Rich
    tree skiing all the way!
  • telemikey
    Advanced
    telemikey op 12 January 2014 · 16:42
    Don't have any maps handy but I recall skiing some nice lines in the trees of the Jafferau one stormy day. There are some awesome treelines in Via Lattea also.
    White room,Pillow lines,I rule
  • richard1985
    Advanced
    richard1985 op 12 January 2014 · 17:28
    Yeah been looking on Googleearth looks epic! Especially with the pending dump I think i read about!!

Only concern for Jafferau is the upper stretches seem pretty open and south facing. Hard to tell if exposed though...
    tree skiing all the way!
  • telemikey
    Advanced
    telemikey op 12 January 2014 · 18:09
    I think we headed into the woods just skiers right of the lift and kind of ran parallel to the lift. But I have to admit, this was some time ago and I can't recall exactly. Maybe @Morris (?) can remember (I was skiing with him at the time).
    White room,Pillow lines,I rule
  • richard1985
    Advanced
    richard1985 op 12 January 2014 · 20:39
    Hey guys,

As promised above heres some scans of OS maps I picked up for Bardonecchia (in 1080 cause no ones like a pixelated contour =) )

If anyone has any lines to share please just paint on or something maybe? Promise ill be returning the karma later thonight/this week with some of my own!

Melzet (scanned i upside down like a numpty though!):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/114182854@N05/11935796143/lightbox/...

Jaffreau:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/114182854@N05/11936362536/in/photostream/...

If nothing else at least the next guy to go there should be able to pick up on these maps in a google search!
    tree skiing all the way!
  • richard1985
    Advanced
    richard1985 op 25 January 2014 · 00:25
    Hey all,

So stoked to have only another 48 hours till I fly out here!

@meteomorris (& anyone else who knows/has been to, the area) just wanted to bump this and ask for your guidance:

Next 4 Days taken 24012014:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/114182854@N05/12124889783/...

Dividing Bardo into: North/South Melzet and West/East Jaffreau.

Any guidance you could give as to;

- Which slope facing to be wary off? Any hot spots to avoid?
    - Wind exposure/drift I would assume mostly cautious on Jaffreau Side East?
    - Will the northern snow front mostly impact Jaffreau and not the Melzet do you think?
    - What are your thoughts on the development of the stability of the snow pack based on precipitation and temperatures over last 3 weeks (3 weeks ago Bardo reported as having an avalanche ski fatality I think?)
    - With low alititude temps having bumped last few days is Jaffreau even worth hitting up? - South facing

- Lastly any secret stashes/lines you might know would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Rich
    tree skiing all the way!
  • meteomorris
    Tourist
    meteomorris op 25 January 2014 · 08:35
    @richard1985

I don't expect significant new snow the next 4 days. They are on the wrong side of the main alpine ridge during a NW flow. The Jaffreau area will suffer from the nw-wind.

Snowpack is in the woods pretty stable. Still some powder expected in the woods of the melezet area.
    May the powder be with you.
  • Anne
    Expert
    Anne op 15 January 2015 · 15:13
    http://www.refugesclareethabor.com/fr/index.aspx

Have à look at this: Nevache
    See you out there!

You need to be logged in to post a comment in this topic. Login or create an account.

Upgrade to wepowder Pro

• Extended 14 day forecast
  • Slope angle and exposition terrain layers
  • Inspirational freeride routes
wePowder Pro