Winter plans for season 2014-15 and El Nino

• Nidhugg
    Advanced
    Nidhugg op 25 August 2014 · 22:11
    I usually only ski in Europe, going on several shorter ski trips to the places the snow will fall (according to MeteoMorris...). I try to avoid booking longer ski trips months in advance so I don't get stuck with bad (i.e. only sunny) weather.

The question is, with a weak to moderate El Nino, is it worth booking several months in advance because you can expect enough snow anyway. Where should you go in N America on an El Nino year? Do anything happen in Japan?

Thanks in advance!
  • Nidhugg
    Advanced
    Nidhugg op 3 September 2014 · 21:17
    Thanks for the great tips! The list of El Nino /La Nina favored resort was a great help.
  • Dutchess
    Advanced
    Dutchess op 21 October 2014 · 07:47
    I do not really know how El Nino/La Nina affects Japan, but I do know that it snows often there. What they call a bad winter still has me, used to European conditions, stoked.
    But Japan is so much more then a powdertrip. I would recommend booking several weeks, two minimum, for Japan. There is no way to go around the issue of pre booking when going to Japan, so best option is to take your time, take good friends, and a bag of money to spend on a rental car to keep you flexible when you're there.

The upside is, that in two or three weeks, there is guaranteed powder soemwhere in Japan. (Actually, I've so far not seen nor heard of a more then five days dry spell in Japan during january/february)
    We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing
  • Niels
    Advanced
    Niels op 24 October 2014 · 21:06
    http://www.srh.noaa.gov/jetstream/tropics/enso_impacts.htm...

I guess their images will make it clear for you. Although similar positive experiences in Japan as Dutchess, I would go to Japan because it is an El Nino year, based the NOAA. Beter save the euro's for a La Nina year 😉
  • Chester_Tartsnatcher
    Expert
    Chester_Tartsnatcher op 25 October 2014 · 17:50
    Last 2 years weren't La Ninas and it was pretty darn good in the more southerly Alps last year.
    But if there is an El Nino, it might be very good at Telluride, Taos and Silverton.

You need to be logged in to post a comment in this topic. Login or create an account.

Upgrade to wepowder Pro

• Extended 14 day forecast
  • Slope angle and exposition terrain layers
  • Inspirational freeride routes
wePowder Pro