Southside or northside over year end hols?

• stauchaser
    Advanced
    stauchaser op 2 septembre 2019 · 09:37
    Taking the family to the Alps for Christmas holidays - I'm not booking accommodation yet, but I'm booking flights and the car in advance. We'll drive where the snow is (instead of booking everything now only to find snowless mountains in December).
    So, looking to hear your viewpoints on pros/cons whether to fly to Milan or to Zurich? The idea is to have the most options with snow within reasonable (say 4 hour) driving distance. We're not too picky on what kind of resort it should be either - anything goes. (Obviously no one knows where the snow is going to be; I'd venture a guess that north side is likelier to have snow at that time - don't know if that's supported by the actual statistics).

Thoughts?
  • meteomorris
    Expert
    meteomorris op 4 septembre 2019 · 18:52
    @stauchaser, good question. Christmas is always a bit of a gamble.

With a 4 hour drive from Zurich there is a lot of space to cover. From the Arlberg in the east, Verbier in the west, St. Moritz in the south east and Andermatt and Engelberg just around the corner. Just to mention a few. Even Cham and Courmayeur do fit in the 4 hour max. The good thing about flying to Zurich is that you will have a rental car with winter tires.

When flying to Milan you will have easier access to the Monte Rosa and the Piemonte compared to Zurich but from experience I know it is really hard to get your hands on a rental car with winter tires.

Does this help?
    May the powder be with you.
  • stauchaser
    Advanced
    stauchaser op 11 septembre 2019 · 10:04
    Thanks @meteomorris, this helped me clear my views. I suppose pretty much all of Switzerland is also within range from Milan, so I guess the defining choice is between the southwest (larch trees & low priced espresso) and western Austria (wienerschnitzel). Which makes me think there's actually more optionality on the south side. It's true that one has to work a bit more to secure a car w/ winter tyres in Milan - and the rental companies are more likely to slap on made up extra costs in Milan than in Zurich in my experience.
  • meteomorris
    Expert
    meteomorris op 11 septembre 2019 · 16:22
    @stauchaser: from Zurich to Sestriere is 5 hours +. But when you do a stop in Airolo on your way south and shred the gnar for a day on their home mountain than it is less than a 4 hour drive 😉
    *message édité par meteomorris op 11 sept. 2019 16:22
  • ecsjones
    ecsjones op 24 septembre 2019 · 04:33
    Morris- very helpful info on getting a rental in Zurich with snow tires. Does the same apply for Geneva as well? Do either supply cars with chains??
    I lived in paris for 3 years and only found 1 rental company that had chains every time we rented. Now we are back in the states and plotting our trip back this winter already....Thanks!
  • meteomorris
    Expert
    meteomorris op 24 septembre 2019 · 12:19
    @escjones, Geneve rentals (Swiss side) do have cars with winter tires. I am not sure about chains. Better ask the rental company if they (can) include them.
  • ecsjones
    ecsjones op 24 septembre 2019 · 22:50
    thank you!
  • rossymcg
    Advanced
    rossymcg op 27 septembre 2019 · 18:30
    does history not normally indicate the north of the ridge is more guaranteed than the south?
  • meteomorris
    Expert
    meteomorris op 27 septembre 2019 · 22:11
    @rossymcg, history was yesterday. Today is today and tomorrow just a prediction. More than 10 years ago I decided never to book in advance anymore. Before that I studied all the snow statistics and booked accordingly. But too often I ended up in a resort where I just missed the storm or had to go home just before the new storm kicked in. A waist of money and time. Since my time is scarce I only want to ride powder. A winter without fresh snow feels like a meal without a taste.

Nowadays I try to be as flexible as possible and act when the conditions are right. Winters can differ from year to year and even from month to month. Statiscly early winters kick off south of the main alpine ridge, the westerlies take over in december/januari, high pressure is pre dominant in February with regular storms or eastern flows in the Med and in March the westerlies come in again.

But as mentioned earlier, this is just the general pattern. Winters do differ from year to year.
  • elecas
    Advanced
    elecas op 30 septembre 2019 · 13:44
    Last year, January was insame in the Austrian Alps, even some resorts close because of too much snow during one week. However in Geneva (some friends were there, 0 snow and supersunny and warm).
    The previous year January was freaking cold and sunny in Austria but no storms, all of them were in the French Alps.
    So the conclusion is: you never know.
    www.elecas.es

Répondre

Vous devez être connecté afin de poster une réponse sur ce sujet. Connectez-vous ou créez un compte.

Passer à wepowder Pro

• Prévisions complètes sur 14 jours
  • Raideur de pente et exposition du terrain
  • Idées d'itinéraires freeride
wePowder Pro