Nieuwe skis gezocht? DOWN pre-season sale mss interessant?

• telemikey
    Advanced
    telemikey op 19 août 2013 · 18:07
    Hey mensen, ik wilde iedereen hier een 'heads up' geven voor de pre-season sale van DOWN skis.

Ik heb er geen directe connecties mee dus word er ook niets beter van of je nu wel of niet daar je skis gaat aanschaffen. Maar wilde dit onbekende merk wel even onder de aandacht brengen aangezien deze jongens mooi spul maken (carbon, breed, freeride) en voor weinig (ca 350e).

Check de website van http://www.downskis.com/skis voor meer info.
    White room,Pillow lines,I rule
  • The_O
    Tourist
    The_O op 19 août 2013 · 19:04
    Zeker scherpe prijzen en ziet er mooi uit allemaal.

Iemand ervaring met DOWN Ski's?
    And Also The Trees
  • telemikey
    Advanced
    telemikey op 19 août 2013 · 23:05
    Nu ja, ik maar heel beperkt maar een maatje van me uit CH wel (een ruim seizoen). Die is er helemaal weg van... Had de Countdown 6 en daar heb ik een paar runs op geskied. Ik was toen helemaal weg van de ski. Ga er nu mijn DPS Wailer (carbon) voor aan de kant zetten... dus in mijn ogen: top skis.
  • The_O
    Tourist
    The_O op 20 août 2013 · 00:53
    Ben op zoek naar nieuwe Back Country Ski's (oude zijn aan vervanging toe, binding afgebroken). Als ik naar specs kijk zou ik gaan voor de COUNTDOWN CARBON 7 aangezien die de laagste radius heeft (22m). Wil de radius eigenlijk ver onder de 20 meter. Overweeg Armada JJ (185) ivm radius van 16 meter.

Waar staat die DOWN fabriek? Zwitserland als ik het goed begrijp.
    And Also The Trees
  • The_O
    Tourist
    The_O op 20 août 2013 · 01:16
    Ok heb ze via contact formulier al een berichtje, paar vraagjes, gestuurd. Kijken hoe ze online reageren, hebben immers geen tussenhandel dus dat zou goed moeten zijn.
    And Also The Trees
  • DownSkis
    Tourist
    DownSkis op 20 août 2013 · 10:48
    Thanks telemikey for the kind words and the thread!

The_O, we manufacture in Poland at one of the biggest factories in Europe, where a lot of other well-known freeride brands are built.

Regarding your question, the 7 has a radius of 22m, but it can certainly be bent into shorter turns. The greatest differences between the 7 and the JJ would be weight (7 is 1925g, JJ is about 2100-2200 in a 185), the flex pattern (JJ has very soft tip/tails and is stiff underfoot, 7 has a much rounder flex pattern) and the rocker, which is much higher and steeper on the JJ than the 7.

Cheers,
    Simen
  • The_O
    Tourist
    The_O op 20 août 2013 · 18:08
    Thanks Simen for answering questions. Will definitely gonna try/order a pair of down ski's sooner or later.

Like the business model of - pre - ordering and direct delivery from factory. So far i always bought old year models or used ski's because buying the latest model you must be kind of rich, pro 😉 or really addicted, i guess.

Would be nice if you made a model in the future with low turning radius for the super fast turning (trees !!).
    And Also The Trees
  • DownSkis
    Tourist
    DownSkis op 20 août 2013 · 22:25
    Thanks Simen for answering questions. Will definitely gonna try/order a pair of down ski's sooner or later.
    Like the business model of - pre - ordering and direct delivery from factory. So far i always bought old year models or used ski's because buying the latest model you must be kind of rich, pro 😉 or really addicted, i guess.
    Would be nice if you made a model in the future with low turning radius for the super fast turning (trees !!). The_O op 20 aug. 2013 18:08

Thanks for the kind words, we are working on removing anything from our company that doesn´t add value to the skis and the customers. Going direct and removing all middlemen is the only way to really ensure that happening and to stay in control over our brand, ski prices to the consumer and our company´s financial health...

Regarding your comment about skiing trees and short turning radius, I´d like to point out that in powder, you´re not really skiing the sidecut of the ski, but by bending the skis into varying radii and/or by sliding your your skis across the snow at an angle to your direction of travel.

Camber is detrimental to maneuverability in powder due to creating more pressure on the snow further out from the axis of rotation (your foot), excessive sidecut is detrimental due to making your skis "hang" in the snow at the tip and tail which leads to the skis bending which again leads to instability (the skis turn at the slightest angulation due to being excessively bent). A good powder ski should also be neither too stiff, nor too soft. Too soft leads to constant turning, tips that are forced up, forming steep angles to the snow and slowing you down (or sending you over the handlebars) and generally unpredictable behaviour. Too stiff means the skis don´t bend enough for you to be able to "carve" them in powder (ski the arc of the bent ski).

Rev/rev skis were invented for this reason, and they are some of the very best skis in tight trees ever made, even if modern skis with tip/tail taper and rockered profiles achieve nearly the same performance in trees without the huge drawbacks in versatility.

For a longer and better read no this subject (using better terms such as the "unstable hooker" and the "pool cover" effect), here´s the explanation from the man himself, Shane McConkey: http://unofficialnetworks.com/mental-floss-by-shane-mcconkey-reverse-c...
  • The_O
    Tourist
    The_O op 20 août 2013 · 23:18
    Thanks for feedback gonna read Shane McConkey explanantion for sure.

Mind there is definitely not powder all the time here in Canada BC (maybe 10-30% in case you ski on a daily base) every year is different. So ski a lot side cut on normal (not powder) days. Also lots of mogul skiing, or mogul tree skiing. Luckily hardly icy conditions here.

Local store sells Armada JJ and Rossignol -Super- S7's. According to store owner he is selling 5x more Armada JJ than the Super 7 because Armada is more playfull. I skied Super S7 60 days last year and I love that ski. Cannot imagine a ski more playfull, so that's why i want to give Armada JJ a try coming winter.

Never tried a carbon ski and right now I purely judge on specifications and experiences other skiers. I know I am not a super big mountain rider but like short turn work (almost like slaloming) and that's why i focus on turning radius so much.

Only one real way to find out and that's giving it a try.
    And Also The Trees
  • telemikey
    Advanced
    telemikey op 21 août 2013 · 08:59
    Ik heb zojuist een paar 4's besteld. Goede verhalen over gehoord als tour-/ do-it-all ski. Stoked!
  • The_O
    Tourist
    The_O op 21 août 2013 · 21:01
    @telemikey ga je ze als Telemark ski gebruiken ? Neem aan van wel.
    And Also The Trees
  • mhilberts
    Beginner
    mhilberts op 21 août 2013 · 21:46
    @downski

Simen,

Whilst I understand the principles of camber and rocker ( and also Reverse/Reverse), your skies seem to feature "flat camber " which I assume means no camber ie flat underfoot .

What would be the benefit of having no camber?

Best,
    Menno

PS, was set on buying a pair of atomic automatics, what would be the best equivalent in Down? The 7?
  • DownSkis
    Tourist
    DownSkis op 21 août 2013 · 22:51
    @downski
    Simen,
    Whilst I understand the principles of camber and rocker ( and also Reverse/Reverse), your skies seem to feature "flat camber " which I assume means no camber ie flat underfoot .
    What would be the benefit of having no camber?
    Best,
    Menno
    PS, was set on buying a pair of atomic automatics, what would be the best equivalent in Down? The 7? mhilberts op 21 aug. 2013 21:46

Hi.

The benefit of having no camber at all is simply an inbetween of having a little bit of camber and a full rocker. Just a gradual transition from less to more pivoty, but also from more to less poppy due to not being able to load as much energy into the ski.

The CD7 is our only cambered ski this season, and the reason is that it's designed to be poppy, energetic, lively and jibby.

The CD1 has flat camber, as it's a (huge) BC jib ski, basically. The flat camber makes it slightly more pivoty in deep snow than it would have been with camber, while still being quite poppy.

The 0, 2, 3, 3c, 4, 5 and 6 all feature our low full reverse elliptical rocker profile, which makes them handle even more smoothly in inconsistent snow. They are slightly less poppy due to this, but the overall feel and designed area of use is more "freeride-y" for these skis. The rocker profile is calculated to give full edge contact at 30 degrees of angulation, but if you unweigh the ski, the edge contact is zero and they are super easy to pivot.

None of our carbon skis lack pop though, they are very lively and energetic, it's just a matter of different levels of pop and what's appropriate for each model and area of use.

Here's a link to a pdf showing the difference between last years and this years CountDown 2. https://docs.google.com/a/downskis.com/file/d/0B7DjcmpPOyCVem9ycjB1RHR...

Incidentally the 2 is the ski I'd recommend as an alternative to the automatic. Freeride, directional, playful yet works well on groomers and doesn't have a very long radius, with the added bonus of being light enough for touring...

Edit: Fixed the link to the pdf so that it´s available for download. Much easier to see the changes in a pdf reader.
  • telemikey
    Advanced
    telemikey op 22 août 2013 · 07:51
    [mention="/profile/603"][mention=603]@telemikey[/mention][/mention] ga je ze als Telemark ski gebruiken ? Neem aan van wel. The_O op 21 aug. 2013 21:01

Yep. Heb al even op de 4 gestaan (vorig jaar) in tele-set up.

I WAS BLOWN AWAY.

Zoals je misschien weet ben ik een behoorlijke DPS fan maar die dag kwam ik er niet lekker in op mn Wailers (carbon). Toen heb ik met Jan van skis gewisseld. Ik kreeg direct veel meer controle terug. Vooral ook het feit dat ik ze zoveel gemakkelijker kon 'omspringen' in smalle, ijzige omstandigheden en de carvebaarheid waren een eye opener. En toen pakte ik nog een stukje poeder en daar deden ze het ook nog eens voortreffelijk! Eigenlijk was ik vanaf dat moment 'om' en stonden ze op mn wishlist. Koppel dat nog eens met een hele schappelijke prijs... enfin, ik heb ze dus onlangs besteld. 😃

Stoked!
  • The_O
    Tourist
    The_O op 22 août 2013 · 08:19
    Goed bezig, ben uiteraard benieuwd naar je toekomstige ervaringen

Had bijna een setje besteld ware het niet dat ikzelf niet in Nederland woon. Het wordt dan met leveren/hier na toe halen mijn inziens te ingewikkeld en te veel gedoe. Wil ze eerst ook heel graag een keer testen, want het blijft toch ook heel persoonlijk.
    And Also The Trees
  • mhilberts
    Beginner
    mhilberts op 27 août 2013 · 22:46
    @Downski,

Simen,

Does Down also offer the service of buying and mounting bindings on the skis?
  • DownSkis
    Tourist
    DownSkis op 28 août 2013 · 10:22
    We are looking into bindings and have been in dialogue with a few manufacturers, but we will not be able to offer mounting. If we are able to land a good deal on bindings, we will notify all customers by email.

Simen

@Downski,
    Simen,
    Does Down also offer the service of buying and mounting bindings on the skis? mhilberts op 27 aug. 2013 22:46
  • telemikey
    Advanced
    telemikey op 28 août 2013 · 10:27
    PS Presale bijna over (31ste aug)
  • Maarten98
    Beginner
    Maarten98 op 28 août 2013 · 17:07
    Weet er iemand nog een bedrijfje in noord Holland die bindingen verkoopt en wilt monteren. Heb de ski's op de site besteld, maar ben niet zo handig met bindingen monteren.
  • mh74
    Advanced
    mh74 op 30 août 2013 · 13:25
    vandenbergsurf.nl in Hoorn.
    Powder makes me happy!
  • DownSkis
    Tourist
    DownSkis op 31 août 2013 · 19:14
    Last call, people!

The sale ends at midnight and some models are now close to reaching their limit, get yours while they last!

As always, we are here to answer any and all questions regarding the skis and our company.

Simen
  • mhilberts
    Beginner
    mhilberts op 12 septembre 2013 · 13:14
    @Downskis

Simen,

Is there a review out there somewhere on the CD7? Seems likeca ski that would appeal to a lot of people but there is very limited info out there.(not strange since its a new model but still).

PS please tell us more on the event on the 22nd?
  • DownSkis
    Tourist
    DownSkis op 12 septembre 2013 · 13:59
    [mention="/profile/8355"][mention="/profile/8355"]@Downskis[/mention][/mention]
    Simen,
    Is there a review out there somewhere on the CD7? Seems likeca ski that would appeal to a lot of people but there is very limited info out there.(not strange since its a new model but still).

I´ll see what I can find! Will post it here asap if something comes up!

[mention="/profile/8355"][mention="/profile/8355"]@Downskis[/mention][/mention]PS please tell us more on the event on the 22nd? mhilberts op 12 sep. 2013 13:14
    No. 😉
  • mhilberts
    Beginner
    mhilberts op 15 septembre 2013 · 11:43
    @downskis

How would the CD7 compare to the Moment PB&J or the Bibby?

Répondre

Vous devez être connecté afin de poster une réponse sur ce sujet. Connectez-vous ou créez un compte.

Passer à wepowder Pro

• Prévisions complètes sur 14 jours
  • Raideur de pente et exposition du terrain
  • Idées d'itinéraires freeride
wePowder Pro